View Full Version : Samsung Galaxy Tab - prices falling

Hands0n
13th November 2010, 04:02 PM
It looks like the pricing for the Samsung Galaxy Tab are falling - twice in one week in one case (Dixons) which was £479 and then £469 this week - http://www.dixons.co.uk/gbuk/samsung-gt-p1000-galaxy-tab-16gb-08446632-pdt.html

Cheapest on Google shopping is £499 at Tesco - so it certainly seems that the advice is to shop around.
http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?q=samsung+galaxy+tab&hl=en&cid=11990089929288593912&ei=QLXeTJX4PJSkiwST7tSaAg&sa=title&ved=0CAwQ8wIwATgA#p

Oh, and if you use one of those Cashback sites you could get a 3.4% cashback on that Dixons price (see http://www.topcashback.co.uk/dixons/ )

Perhaps by Christmas the Samsung Galaxy Tab will crash below the £400 at which point it will begin to become a much more attractive proposition. But I think that it needs to get down to the low £300s before it becomes value for money. There is too much competition out already or lined up.

miffed
13th November 2010, 04:27 PM
Plain and simply don't like it ! , I feel the £399 Dell streak does what the tab is trying to do ,but better. So to be "interesting" to me , the Tab needs to beat that price point - and by a huge margin too !
Pretty much in line with what you've said Hands0n , I'd need the Tab to come in at little over £300 (and I can't see that happening !) offer it to me at £350 and I'd rather pay an extra £50 and have the streak - I have to be honest , even £100 saving would take some thinking about for me !

....But then in all honesty , Had I not already owned the Streak , I'd be assuming the Tab was the "better" and going for that.

I'd reckon £399 is going to be the resting point after Xmas , ...or maybe we'll see some creative subsidised offerings ?

I think a solid announcement on Gingerbread might completely alter the game though .

Hands0n
13th November 2010, 05:01 PM
Sitting here with the Streak on the arm rest of the settee and recalling the short play I had with the Galaxy Tab a month or so ago I also feel that the Streak is the slicker of the two. It is certainly less thick, making it very pocketable. My recollection of the Samsung Tab is that it was a fair bit on the chunky side for the average pocket.

Yea, a lot cheaper and it may start shifting in volume. One thing that occurs to me is that the buying public have yet to be inspired by these devices. They get the iPad, but don't seem to get the smaller devices that sit between those and the mobile phone device.

I wonder if Samsung will quietly drop the Tab when they bring out the 10" model.

Ben
14th November 2010, 10:57 AM
We're in the holiday sales period now, and for everyone who still gets to ask for their present I simply can't see the Tab being at the top of any lists. Apple are selling the brand and ecosystem at the same price, so where is the demand for the Tab going to come from?

I too think £300 is the price point such a device would need to hit before people take note. But I think the only realistic chance the Tab has is on heavily subsidised operator contracts.

paulbds
14th November 2010, 02:10 PM
OK, a little dilemma.
Tesco have the Galaxy Tab for £469

I have Tesco vouchers and they can be doubled up to the value of £160

that means I can get a Tab for just over £300.

The vouchers are a bonus for buying day to day items and using my Tesco card so it's almost a "free" £160 off.

I am v e r y tempted

I have seen the Toshiba Folio and don't like it.
I just need something simle to carry around with me and the tablet form is ideal
I already have a good value(O2/£Gigs/£4/month) data plan so will make use of 3G facilities

I am getting her indoors an iPad for Christmas - -her request

What would you do or should I still wait for the next best thing.

Paul

Hands0n
14th November 2010, 10:18 PM
@Paulbds - oh yes, what a dilemma indeed :D

I wouldn't bother waiting for the next best thing - there really isn't such - because when it arrives the next best thing is in the pipe coming down at you, so the opportunity exists to wait for ever.

I have already placed my stake in the ground vis a vis the Samsung Galaxy Tab - but that really is my own personal preference/opinion. It is a capable Android device, that cannot be denied. So, if it tickles your fancy, floats your boat, spins your wheels then I'd suggest going for it :)

Ben
15th November 2010, 11:50 AM
@paulbds I'm going to counter that and say wait. That discount of yours likely won't expire any time soon and is good for all sorts of other things. The Tab is overpriced and, I believe, will have limited use unless an oversized smartphone is whist you're in the market for. It seems to get unresponsive relatively quickly.

The tablet market doesn't even exist yet; I think far better devices than the hastily conceived Tab will emerge.

3GScottishUser
15th November 2010, 09:58 PM
The Tab is a nice product but the price point has to be about £299 (SIM Free) to be attractive as a mass market product.

There will be lots of competition soon from Chineese producers and they will take full advantage of the Froyo update which delivers all of the Android functionality to 7"+ devices.

Hands0n
28th November 2010, 03:53 PM
The story is that the Samsung Tab is now £449 at Tesco (but on-line only, reportedly). Allegedly Tesco have a large stock of these, probably thinking they'd sell like the proverbial hot cakes - not at the original price they wont.

Even at £449 the price is high, even for what we are supposedly getting. I remain to be convinced that Android tablets deliver as coherent an experience as the Apple kit.

Tesco has joined the Samsung Galaxy Tab PRICE WAR, slashing the price of Samsung’s 7″ Android tablet to £449. If you’re into the whole loyalty card thing, you’ll also get 898 Tesco Club Card points when buying the thing, too.

Tesco’s even set up a specific information portal about the Galaxy Tab with special graphics and everything, which can be found at www.tesco.com/samsunggalaxy

Basically, Tesco has got lots of Galaxy Tabs to sell. Just like everyone else. Tesco’s also selling the Dell Streak for a decent £399 if your budget’s a little lower. Everyone wants to sell you an Android tablet this Christmas.

Source URL: http://www.eurodroid.com/2010/11/samsung-galaxy-tab-now-449-at-tesco/#comments

Ben
28th November 2010, 04:29 PM
Someone in purchasing at Tesco needs to get a clue. Or a new job.

chaslam
28th November 2010, 05:54 PM
Now at £448 at dixons/currys/pcw.

hecatae
18th December 2010, 01:39 PM
now £399 in comet, as posted other thread

3GScottishUser
19th December 2010, 09:45 AM
now £399 in comet, as posted other thread

Good price considering it's got full phone facilities.

Hands0n
19th December 2010, 11:16 AM
Yes, it is a phone. A big as a canal longboat phone. But it is not a substitute for the original device that kicked off this generation of "pad" frenzy.

So, if all you want is a cheap SIM-free Android phone, albeit an oversized one, then the Samsung Galaxy Tab has just about joined the ranks of such devices.

hecatae
25th January 2011, 04:00 PM
as posted elsewhere now £359.20 from Tesco Direct

Hands0n
25th January 2011, 06:13 PM
:) ... and de walls came a'tumblin down ...

Really the Galaxy Tab was an over-ambitious project with little-to-nothing going for it. Heavily overpriced this device was always destined to be a bit of a #fail.

Any predications when we will see theses for £299?

hecatae
25th January 2011, 06:48 PM
https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=0Ajkzda-eSHbqdHZfVzhDb01BRlVhLWlMWGE4YmZhSXc&hl=en&output=html
why is it not offered on a proper contract anywhere?

and T-mobile USA selling it for $500 according to Android Police

Hands0n
25th January 2011, 06:56 PM
But that is assuming a linear price drop, which is unlikely to happen. If the Tab ever gets to £150 I'll have to get one as a matter of principle LOL :D

miffed
25th January 2011, 07:47 PM
LOL , funny you should say that - on seeing the latest batch of price drops I just thought to myself that I'll buy a tab if they drop to £199 !

Hands0n
25th January 2011, 07:55 PM
The only thing is ... I'm not exactly sure what I'll actually do with it. Door stop? Objet d'art? ... I dunno really :D

Ben
25th January 2011, 08:07 PM
Love the spreadsheet! It's a shame that the graph doesn't also plot desirability, which, unfortunately for Samsung, seems to be plummeting just as quickly as the price.

hecatae
26th January 2011, 01:55 PM
now only £341 at Amazon UK

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0042D75TU

and the £200 entertainment pack offer is still valid til 28th February 2011

http://www.samsung.com/uk/galaxytab/

makes it £141 for the Tab

though Amazon is not listed as an official partner, so you'd have to go to Tesco

The Mullet of G
26th January 2011, 02:24 PM
now only £341 at Amazon UK

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0042D75TU

and the £200 entertainment pack offer is still valid til 28th February 2011

http://www.samsung.com/uk/galaxytab/

makes it £141 for the Tab

though Amazon is not listed as an official partner, so you'd have to go to Tesco

To be fair that entertainment pack is mediocre and never worth £200 especially since I'm pretty sure you get 50 MP3's free from emusic or something similar for simply installing Winamp on your PC, which is also free. But even if they were 99p each its still horrible value. If they had simply said "Free Entertainment Pack" then yeah thats cool, well played Samsung, but how about they keep their £200 entertainment pack and I'll just take the Tab for £140. :D

hecatae
26th January 2011, 02:33 PM
so bets on price from 1st March?

£250?

Ben
26th January 2011, 02:43 PM
Just had a look at the "Entertainment Pack"...

LoL!

Ahem, yes, quite.

Any word on whether there'll be 3.0 for Galaxy Tab? I keep trying to get interested in it because, if the price keeps falling, it could be fun to have a play with. Then I pick up my iPad and think "why would I bother?" Hmm.

hecatae
26th January 2011, 03:02 PM
Samsung have released the source for the Galaxy Tab according to XDA forum, though I cant find it, official 3.0 is unknown

found it http://opensource.samsung.com/

Hands0n
26th January 2011, 09:18 PM
Android 3.0 preview SDK is out http://android-developers.blogspot.com/2011/01/android-30-platform-preview-and-updated.html

Going by Samsung's typical record I would say that the Tab is very unlikely to receive a Honeycomb update. Samsung will launch a new model and expect us to buy that and chuck our Galaxy Tabs in the bin.

Honeycomb first sight

hecatae
27th January 2011, 11:56 AM
tried booting the honeycomb sdk on my netbook, bad idea as it runs at a snails pace, no wonder android went to 64 bit for building from source for Froyo upwards

3GScottishUser
30th January 2011, 10:19 AM
£350 is an attractive price for the Tab but it could be a shortsighted buy with new dual core mobile processors just around the corner. The Galaxy S struggles to run things at times and if the Tab was being used for browsing and it performed similarly it would be frustrating to say the least!

I'd wait for the new dual core offerings!

Hands0n
30th January 2011, 02:31 PM
Yes, I totally agree. Now is not a good time to buy into the Tab or its ilk. There are too many early 2011 developments that are yet to see the light of day.

Dual Core
The new NVidia and Qualcom dual core processors are out, the LG handset sports the first one as far as I know, there may be others already. The MWC is going to reveal others no doubt. Android tablet devices are bound to sport the dual core processors.

Honeycomb
Google have made it abundantly clear that their support for tablet form devices begins with Honeycomb. Those buying into such Android tablets ahead of Honeycomb need to know that there is no certainty that their shiny new device will ever receive the Honeycomb update. Samsung, if they are true to form, will abandon the Tab and bring out Tab II sporting Honeycomb and expect the customer to purchase the new device. The other, cheaper, manufacturers will be very unlikely to update their devices to Honeycomb and people will have to rely on the developer community for such updates.

The best advice is to wait it out. We're very close to seeing the 2011 offerings.

hecatae
31st January 2011, 12:23 PM
on a similar note, the Huawei Ideos S7 is now only £229 from expansys.

amazed to see a Snapdragon CPU so cheap with a 7 inch screen, sadly resistive

Hands0n
31st January 2011, 10:35 PM
It seems that Samsung did indeed sell around 2 million Galaxy Tab devices. To the shops and outlets. The problem, for the shops, is that they have not been able to sell the Tab on to customers, hence the recent slew of price cuts. Samsung need not worry. They made their buck.

Another reason not to trust Samsung - and almost a 100% guarantee that manufacturer will not update the Tab to later versions of Android beyond 2.2. I hope that I am wrong.

See below and follow the links.

It would appear that we have found the reason for the many rapid price cuts (http://www.eurodroid.com/2011/01/galaxy-tab-in-another-price-cut-sensation-now-only-341-at-amazon-uk/) we’ve seen Samsung’s Galaxy Tab experience over the three months since its launch – the sell-through to members of the public has been “quite small”.

Samsung’s been performing the oldest trick in the book, in fact, quoting figures for units sold to retailers – rather than numbers actually sold on to users. Hence the bombastic announcements of “millions” of Tabs sold. Here’s a quote:

“Well, your question was on sell-in and sell-out. As you heard, our sell-in was quite aggressive and this first quarterly result was quite, you know, fourth-quarter unit [figure] was around two million. Then, in terms of sell-out, we also believe it was quite small”

Which means Samsung has indeed “sold” plenty of Galaxy Tabs to the shops and mobile networks, but the poor old shops haven’t subsequently been selling as many on to their customers. Hence the numerous PRICE CRASHES we’ve seen. It all makes sense.

Read the full quotes from Samsung over on the WSJ (http://redirectingat.com/?id=1426X523712&xs=1&url=http%3A%2F%2Fblogs.wsj.com%2Fdigits%2F2011%2F0 1%2F31%2Fsamsung-galaxy-tab-sales-actually-quite-small%2F&sref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.eurodroid.com%2F2011%2F01%2F samsung-galaxy-tab-sales-to-users-quite-small-in-reality%2F) and many other places today. Thanks to everyone who mailed this in.

Source: http://www.eurodroid.com/2011/01/samsung-galaxy-tab-sales-to-users-quite-small-in-reality/

hecatae
16th February 2011, 05:35 PM
£249 for a Tab

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/samsung-galaxy-tab-16gb-249-hmv/877845

miffed
16th February 2011, 07:19 PM
OK , in the cold light of day, despite my earlier £200 price point , I'd have one at that price - I imagine they are hard to find stock in HMV Stores , but If I see one over the next week or so I will buy it . Mainly because I have the itch for a new toy at the moment !

Hands0n
16th February 2011, 11:19 PM
I think that as long as someone releases Honeycomb for the handset, because Samsung have stated that they will not, then buy one. Otherwise steer a very wide path past this. It was a Samsung experiment, a testing of water. In 12 months time it is going to look positively archaic.

Ben
17th February 2011, 09:32 AM
Don't do it miffed! Seriously, FAR too much good stuff arriving this year, definitely need to be saving your cash IMHO!

This Tab is not worthy :(

miffed
17th February 2011, 04:40 PM
LOL , Funny I changed my mind overnight ! , I had a flashback to a play I'd had with a mates Galaxy Tab and remembered that they are pretty crap...

...that and , Well , I am a bit embarrased about this , but I have a strog urge to take £388 to the o2 shop and buy an HTC HD7 ! ( WP7)

Can't even say why , I think the main catalyst was seeing Steve Litchfield being very negative about it on his show ( if he is overly negative usually means a device is very good )
I am pretty sure I am going to follow through on this one !

Ben
17th February 2011, 11:01 PM
Now WP7 I can understand... but I'm now holding out for a Nokia. Yes, the first Nokia WP7, so long as it's high spec, will be going in my handset hall of fame.

3GScottishUser
18th February 2011, 07:12 PM
Someone posted on Digital Spy that the Galaxy Tab was on sale in some stores for £250.

A bargain! AS it's a SIM free phone as well as a tablet.

I can understand why the prices are falling when Samsung have revealed the Galaxy Tab 2 with a dual core processor, 10.1" display and even more bells and whistles.

I forecast lots of tablet bargains around by the end of the year on a variety of well spec'd devices. I think Santa might just be placing orders now!

Ben
20th February 2011, 10:59 AM
The problem with the 7" Tab is that it has no 'right price' because it has no value whatsoever. It's too big for a phone, and too small and jittery to be a useful tablet. It's not even running a tablet OS.

Tom Mccormick
21st April 2011, 06:28 AM
With the onset of Tab 2, previous tablet Tab is going to see downfall into its price. such downfall has occurred into its price that you could be made available with Tab at the cost of only £367.99 and plus it will be delivered at your door step without any delay at the free cost. There might be one reason that Tab is making way for its successor in the market. All the Tab lovers can make merry with its buying at such low cost.

hecatae
21st April 2011, 04:53 PM
£15 on a £15 contract for 24 months, Groupon special today only

http://www.groupon.co.uk/deals/national-deal

* Save £240 throughout the whole contract with discounted monthly rate of £15, exclusively for Groupon
* No extra charge for exceeding data limit
* Huge UK 3G network covering 93% of the UK
* What Mobile award for 'Best Mobile Broadband' 2010
* 500MB internet allowance per month
* Thousands of apps ready to download (may be subject to supplementary charges)
* Valid for new and existing customers

seems to be today only, trying to find further details

Ben
22nd April 2011, 10:01 AM
Gosh, really though, 24 months on a Tab and 500MB/month? Even if that's a good deal financially I can't imagine it'd be a good choice!

Hands0n
22nd April 2011, 05:24 PM
The problem with the Tab and everything that precedes Android 3.x Honeycomb devices is that the so-called "pad experience" is not apparent. These older devices are merely large-screen Android mobile phones (i.e. Dell Streak, Samsung Galaxy Tab) or they are *******ised constructions such as the Advent and no end of Chinese Android tablets. Unless supported by the independent developer community these will never see the official Google tablet-designed OS.

I can't but help feel that 24 months on a Galaxy Tab is going to drive the buyer nuts. Unless, that is, all they want is a larger Android smartphone, in which case the Tab is a viable alternative to the Dell Streak - if you don't mind something bulkier and heavier.

No, sorry, but I cannot find myself at all inspired by the latest Galaxy Tab price reductions or tantalising deals. The device needs to go on that long list of "Nice, but no beer" devices that precede it.

hecatae
23rd April 2011, 09:45 AM
1998 people bought that deal, has that got rid of t-mobs stocks?