View Full Version : Toshiba Folio returns-a-plenty. First of many?

Ben
15th November 2010, 12:14 PM
Trusted Reviews (http://www.trustedreviews.com/laptops/news/2010/11/15/Toshiba-Folio-100-Taken-off-Shelves-in-UK/p1) has it that the Toshiba Folio has been taken off sale due to high returns relating to a raft of issues with the device. None of which sound easy to 'fix'.

Will this be the first of many tablet failures in the marketplace? Assuming Apple worked on iPad for at least 2 years, which seems reasonable to me, we won't be seeing credible alternatives until Christmas 2011, not 2010!

I think the hardware is largely there from competitors, I mean, it was never going to be an Apple-esque touchy-feely materials orgy, and the insides seem capable. OS is crucial on a tablet, though - with the only way of interacting being via touch there's really no room for error. Manufacturer impatience with Android is laughable!

If we do see a string of tablet failures then will this immature market crumble or will Apple reproduce the success of the iPod, where competitors never really gained a significant edge despite stacks of improvements? I fear that the tablet market could simply stall if interest wanes... unless iPad 2 is exceptionally compelling.