View Full Version : Samsung Galaxy Tab - What is your buy point?

Hands0n
28th November 2010, 07:44 PM
So, in its short life, we have seen the Samsung Galaxy Tab priced at £599 initially and then seen the prices steadily slide downwards to today's level of £448. This has got me to wondering what my own "buy point" is for this particular device.

The Samsung Tab now has a growing amount of competition in the sub-£300 bracket, although to be fair these are not of quite the same breadth of specification as the Tab. Most, if not all, do not include a 3G radio - but then why should such a feature cost an additional £100 for what is essentially just another chip on the motherboard?

So what is your buy price point for the Galaxy Tab? And why?

Hands0n
28th November 2010, 07:53 PM
I have voted £250, because I really do not think that such Android devices have any need to cost more. None of the components is particularly expensive, new or complicated by today's standards. Trying to latch on to the shirt tail of the iPad is not going to help Android. It needs to set its own marque. I am also not convinced at Samsung's copious use of plastic in the casing - these are going to look tatty very very quickly.

Comparing the Tab to the Dell Streak reveals what can be done at a much lower cost. So, to me, the Samsung Galaxy Tab is an over-hyped, over-priced and over-sized Android handset. That does not qualify a £599 price tag, and even at today's £448 it is still too expensive by far. Nice though it is to look at and hold.

miffed
28th November 2010, 09:39 PM
Voted £250 , For a couple of reasons

Firstly , the Advent Vega is £250 , and arguably better specced !!

And secondly I don't REALLY need one - Therefore I'd need a cheap price to motivate me to buy one - If I didn't have an iPad and Dell streak , then I'd probably be prepared to pay a MAX of £300-£330 - but not a penny more !!

So I think a "fair price" would be £330 ,but I'd need it to be £250 personally - and I can't see that happening anytime soon

But even having said ALL that ... if you put £250 in my hand , and said you'd sell me a Galaxy Tab for £250 ..... I think I'd still take the money and buy an Advent Vega !

hecatae
29th November 2010, 12:17 PM
£250 would do, though I'm far more interested in ZTE's tablet

Ben
29th November 2010, 05:03 PM
£250.

Very little about the Tab appeals to me. Screen size is a problem - it's neither smartphone nor tablet IMO and there's just no place for that in my life.

If they're going to sell it as a little tablet then it needs a little price to match to address the fact that you'll need both bigger and smaller devices alongside.

The Mullet of G
29th November 2010, 10:32 PM
I voted none of the above as there wasn't an option for £50.

Android tablets are ten a penny these days, but they just aren't doing anything for me. If I'm being honest I'm a lot more interest in a dual core Windows 7 based tablet, and even then my interest is only slight. :)

gorilla
3rd December 2010, 08:42 PM
I've read some good reviews of the tab, but having just bought an iPad, I'm not sure I'd buy a 7" tablet now.
I played with the tab in pc world and I did like it, but the iPad is more practical for me.

Anyway, android tablets should be the same price as netbooks I.e. Start at £300 and fall quickly in price to less than £200.

hecatae
18th December 2010, 01:38 PM
http://www.comet.co.uk/p/PDAs-and-Handheld-Computers/buy-SAMSUNG-GT-P1000-PDAs-and-Handheld-Computer/688061

now £399 at Comet, anyone got staff discount?

Ben
19th December 2010, 10:33 AM
This is getting a bit like one of those price-drop TV channels.

Hands0n
19th December 2010, 11:06 AM
I might actually tip at £300 but not a penny more. Just think of the competition looming up in 2011 for this class of kit. The Samsung Galaxy Tab started life over-priced and remains so. Until Google Android (Honeycomb?) properly supports the format it is just an oversized phone. And not an entirely practical one, given it's size.