View Full Version : Motorola Android Software upgrade schedule

hecatae
29th November 2010, 12:42 PM
is available here > https://supportforums.motorola.com/community/manager/softwareupgrades

Thank you for being a Motorola customer. We have heard the overwhelming feedback asking for details on Android software upgrades for various Motorola devices. We hope you will find the below timeline helpful.

We know you value having the latest and greatest technology on your devices. We are working very closely with Google and our carrier partners to bring you the most optimized experience on each of our smartphones powered by Android; this means appropriately releasing both operating system upgrades and software maintenance updates which enhance device functionality. We will continue to update the information below, regarding the timing and availability of software upgrades, and will provide additional details as we have them to share. We appreciate your understanding and continued support.

The Mullet of G
29th November 2010, 02:01 PM
That update schedule is a bit of a joke, isn't 2.3 starting to filter out to some devices? Yet Motorola don't seem to have any plans to release it in the near future according to that release schedule. Also Why are US Backflip owners getting 2.1 yet the rest of the world is being palmed off with 1.5?

miffed
29th November 2010, 03:36 PM
My attitude towards Android devices and their update schedules pretty much "I'll tell you what , don't bother eh ? " I've played the waiting game with one too many Android devices to be really interested in Official updates now.
Latest example being the Dell Streak , Still "officially" should be running 1.6 .... 2.1 was forced out by o2 then withdrawn .... then (eventually ) 2.2 has been "launched" for unlocked devices , and shown to be a crock of excrement

....Meanwhile , shortly after 2.1 was briefly available , a developer (DJ_Steve) launched a custom 2.2 ..... and has systematically worked to resolve issues as they arise .... have a problem with the installl ? you can talk to the guy who built it and other like minds to resolve your issue ... he'll even listen if you suggest tweaks ! - no BS , he won't lie to you about when you'll see a worthwhile update etc .

Android is made to be in the hands or these developers IMO , just make us the hardware and then jog on , thanks !

Ben
29th November 2010, 04:50 PM
Android is made to be in the hands or these developers IMO , just make us the hardware and then jog on , thanks !
That needs to go on a sticker, miffed!

The Mullet of G
29th November 2010, 11:04 PM
I'd probably buy a DJ_Steve phone before a Motorola or a Dell. :D

I've only been using Android for a few days but I've reached the same conclusions regarding updates and official ROM's. I think Google will eventually have to exert some control as its getting out of hand, Android is starting to really suffer from OS and hardware fragmentation. This is most apparent when it comes to software development, if you buy a high end device then you want it to run high end apps and games, but currently devs have to cater for devices ranging from feeble to fast with a variety of other hardware factors in between. Thats not an attractive platform to develop for, and the severe lack of any decent games is very telling here.

miffed
30th November 2010, 08:53 AM
I suppose it is the age old thing about firmware , People are desperate to take a good OS /Firmware and ruin it !

"Back in the day" (lol !) it was Network operators who were most noticeable for this , and the developer community stepped in and offered solutions to remove the network crippling ! Windows mobile & Symbian were still customised somewhat according to brand I suppose , but it was the network branding that appeared to do all the crippling and disfiguring .

Why ?? - Why can they not simply make a device , Put a Vanilla OS on it , and just be done with it ?

The Mullet of G
1st December 2010, 12:30 PM
Network branding completely crippled several Symbian phones, Orange were usually the worst offenders. So I absolutely agree, networks should stick to providing networks and leave OS and firmware stuff to people who actually know what they are doing.

hecatae
5th February 2011, 02:59 PM
and now the CLIQ XT is hit with the same crippling the DEXT had, Motorola wont update it to 2.1, leaving it on 1.5.

There are people who bought brand new CLIQ XTs 8 months ago, and are now stuck with Android Cupcake for their entire contract