View Full Version : Nexus S, will you Pre-Order?

hecatae
6th December 2010, 05:43 PM
http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/dm/nexus-s?portal=GOOGLE&promo=PPCNEXUSPAYM&ppc=true

£549.95 sim free or pre pay

free on a £35 24 month contract

Hands0n
6th December 2010, 09:33 PM
Nope - mainly 'cos its Samsung :(

getti
6th December 2010, 09:38 PM
HELL and YES

miffed
6th December 2010, 10:34 PM
Have to say , I am not sure I like the look of this device , and the idea of a "curved screen" seems a bit .... sort of .... , well , Why ?

£549 ?? thats more than a SIM free iPhone !!! (like for like)

Hands0n
6th December 2010, 11:31 PM
See - that makes it worse. I was quite happy to pay a bundle for the Nexus One, made by HTC it is a class bit of kit. But Samsung have always underwhelmed me with their practical design weaknesses, choice of materials and general reliability problems. I've not had a single Samsung device that has survived its 12-month contract. I finally gave up on them several years back, and so far have seen nothing to tempt me back. Not even the Nexus S.

My Nexus One awaits Gingerbread. I'll be content with that.

The Mullet of G
7th December 2010, 07:52 AM
Isn't it basically a Samsung Galaxy S with a curved screen? I'll pass. :)

Ben
7th December 2010, 08:53 AM
All seems a bit cringeworthy if I'm honest, but yes, ok, we have a new reference design from Google - lets see what the other manufacturers do with it.

miffed
7th December 2010, 05:35 PM
On the Google Nexus site thing , there is a comparison thing , where you can compare side by side the specs of various Androids. I have just compared the HTC Desire (old one !) , the Dell Streak and the Nexus S , and nothing leapt out and grabbed me to by the Nexus S over either of these two dated devices !!
Well , other than Gingerbread , and I suspect the Dev community will make that available to both these devices before long.

I simply can't see any particular feature that sets the Nexus S ahead of the pack , in the way that the Nexus One/Desire , or the iPhone 4 did ?

Go over there and have a play , and see if you agree ?

The Mullet of G
8th December 2010, 05:16 AM
With the Nexus One Google raised the bar for Android hardware, the Nexus S doesn't do anything to raise the bar above its current level. I would go as far as saying it lowers the bar in some respects, for one it looks cheap and tacky, and also it lacks MicroSD support. You'd be better off buying one of Samsung's Galaxy S range - Captivate/Vibrant its much the same hardware, or better still don't buy a Samsung at all....ever. :)

hecatae
8th December 2010, 08:57 AM
Finally, the Nexus S has been officially unveiled. And according to Google it will feature a 4″ Super AMOLED display. However, it seems Google has different plans for some regions. The Nexus S devices sold in Russia (and possibly in some other regions, too) will have Super Clear LCD screens instead.

http://blog.gsmarena.com/the-google-nexus-s-to-swap-the-superamoled-screen-for-a-super-clear-lcd-in-the-russian-market/

Ben
8th December 2010, 09:09 AM
The main focus of the handset appears to be NFC. If other manufacturers start including NFC in their 2.3 handsets then job done; if they don't, it'll be a #fail for Google and a good indication of how much they'll really control the roadmap for Android in the future.

hecatae
8th December 2010, 10:51 AM
just realised a Tab costs less than a Nexus S

Hands0n
8th December 2010, 07:58 PM
I am having a great deal of trouble finding anything about the Nexus S to enthuse about.

The NFC thing I think is a foregone conclusion, if not in the UK then certainly a lot of the rest of the world. Already, in the African nations, the ability to pay by mobile is an active and vibrant business. People no longer need to carry cash and risks associated. The UK banks and industry are unlikely to be supportive of NFC unless they find something in it for themselves. Chip n Pin is the way forward - we all know that :rolleyes: