View Full Version : Samsung Kies Air

3GScottishUser
24th December 2010, 11:43 PM
I have never been a fan of Kies, Samsung's PC Software for their smartphones but it's got a lot better since Froyo appeared.

Now they have gone a step further with a new app called Kies Air.

This is clever stuff. You download and intall it on your phone and you can manage and use phone facilities from your browser when connected to a wireless network. No need for slow bluetooth or fiddly wires!

You can view files including pictures, videos and music streamed to your PC. View and update contact info and view and send SMS. Access call logs and stats too.

All you need to do is key an IP address into a browser and a nice easy to use webpage appears with all your phone facilities just a mouse click away.

Kies Air is available free from Samsung Apps. Highly recommended!

Ben
27th December 2010, 04:52 PM
So it basically turns your Sammy into a web server? That's a very good idea; Three got it right with MiFi (in the end) - web admin interfaces are often a great way of doing things if connecting is simple enough for the end user.

Though lets face it, when it comes to networking nothing is ever simple.

3GScottishUser
28th December 2010, 10:30 AM
The Galaxy S already has DLNA support for media streaming and also can be used as a Wi-Fi Access Point which is why I have not had to buy a Mi-Fi device as the handset already is one!

The Kies Air software is very straightforward and does all of the setup for you. Once it finds a network you can connect to all you have to do is confirm that you want to allow access and type the IP address on the screen into a browser to interact with the phone. This time Samsung have got the software right!

One other improvement I have noted lately is that you can now click on embedded video clips (like on the BBC News Website) and they are played back in the media player. This seems to have been part of the Froyo update.