View Full Version : Nokia smartphones with Windows 7

3GScottishUser
24th December 2010, 11:48 PM
"Nokia’s new CEO, Stephen Elop, might instigate some tie-ups with his former colleagues at Microsoft, you could be right. Renowned mobile industry watcher Eldar Murtazin says in his weekly review (be warned, it’s in Russian) that Nokia and Microsoft are in talks to bring Windows Phone 7 to Nokia phones, and that the Finnish mobile phone giant initiated the negotiations. The talks center around the creation of a new line of Windows Phone devices to be sold under the Nokia brand, via Nokia’s distribution channels and including typical Nokia features, according to Unwired View."

http://blogs.forbes.com/parmyolson/2010/12/20/morning-tech-wrap-google-tv-nokia-windows-phone-7/?boxes=Homepagechannels

Interesting development....

Hands0n
25th December 2010, 07:24 PM
Now that could see me return to buying Nokia mobile kit. Their tie-in to legacy OS, and the varying degrees of success nee failure, has been their recent undoing in the market currently dominated by Apple and the various Android makers. I'm imagining, for a moment, the Nokia N8 with WP7 - now that would have been on my Christmas list.

Ben
27th December 2010, 04:50 PM
Har, I'd buy a WiPho Nokia. That'd be a good laugh.

miffed
27th December 2010, 05:35 PM
Me too - probably the best thing that could happen with Nokia IMO , well other than Android !

I am sick and tired of Nokia fanbois suggesting that my recent distain of Nokia products is out of some kind of prejudice against Nokia , rather than a simple case of the products not being up to scratch . I wanted to like the N8 (and even moreso the E7 ... but having had a quick play with the N8 , I feel nothing has changed , and that Symbian^3 ... (now called ..."Symbian") may as well have just been called "S60 version 6 feature pack 4,3432,020" ...or something that continued in the "same ol' same ol' " vein

I'd love to see something as robust & classy as the E90 / E71 etc , running Android ... For me that would 100% make Nokia a player again . I am not so sure WP7 would be as great as that , but I am sure it WOULD be better than anything Nokia can turn out - be it Symbian or Maemo .

I am a little gutted over the E7 , this is one device I WANTED to like ! Having owned pretty much every Communicator since the 9110i I love the fact that the commie's are *just* a bit too geeky for 90% of smartphone users , so you don't get N95 syndrome where everyone you meet has one . But there is NO WAY I am prepared to step that far back in time WRT a UI , if I were going to do that I may as well go the whole hog an buy an E90 again !!

Go on Nokia , you know you want to !!

The Mullet of G
13th January 2011, 02:01 PM
Yeah....I doubt this will happen anytime soon, if ever. Nokia and Microsoft have been working together for years on various things, but thats as far as its likely to ever go regardless of who is in charge at Nokia.

Also why would anyone want Android on Nokia hardware? Android is even more bloated and fragmented than Symbian. :D

Ben
13th January 2011, 05:09 PM
I can't speak for anyone else but there's still something of a 'know and trust' about Nokia hardware. That said, they used woefully underpowered CPUs and a bare smidgen of RAM for years, so I'm not entirely sure where my warmth for Nokia hardware comes from. The 6680, probably!

Google Android still has no soul, but Windows Phone 7... that, on a Nokia, I'd take for a spin.

Hands0n
13th January 2011, 09:24 PM
I'm in two minds about this. I think that I'd like to see WP7 on the Nokia N8. But then again, as I am trialling a WP7 handset I am flipping all over the place. There are bits of it that I like and some that I do not. Arrgh!

Android on the N8 would be better than what I have seen and experienced of Symbian^3 on the device.

The thing is - Android represents almost complete anarchy. WP7, like iOS, represents a significant if not total lock-down. All of the criticisms of Jobsian control of iOS are as applicable to WP7. Microsoft are holding a very tight control, including over the hardware specification.

The Mullet of G
15th January 2011, 03:58 PM
Nokia probably should release a version of the N8 with Android, that way people could see once and for all that Android really is just a poor mans Symbian, complete with its Symbian clone UI.

The current Symbian^3 platform is in a much better place than Android IMO, for me Android is all over the place, and as a result software development is suffering badly, the majority of stuff on the Android market is the sort of junk you'd find on Cydia.

If Google don't get a handle on the fragmentation then Android is dead to me, what is the point in buying top of the range hardware to run bottom of the range software? :)