View Full Version : Samsung Google Nexus S - Is it all that?

Hands0n
15th January 2011, 03:40 PM
Let us start at the beginning. I do not generally like Samsung mobile phones. I love their 52" LCD televisions. I generally like their all-in-one surround sound systems. But, generally, I really do not like their mobile phones. So how would I feel about the latest Google Nexus S (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nexus_S) made by Samsung?

Before the Nexus S
I bought into the Google Nexus One handset the day it was made available on their Google Shop. That was a device made by HTC, preceding the HTC Desire by about a month, and was to be the reference Android handset. There were very many things that I liked about the Nexus One, not the least being its robust metal and plastic design, the tough glass touchscreen and [in particular] the excellent audio quality. This was the first mobile phone to sport noise-cancelling dual microphones, and damned effective a technology it was too. Perhaps the only thing that I did not like about the Nexus One was a bizarre manufacturing fault that made the touchscreen icons, keys and buttons have a slightly off-centre calibration. There seems to have been nothing possible to be done about this in the OS, so it must be a hardware defect. It drives me nuts!

How to get a Google Nexus S
The Google Nexus S is sold through the Carphone Warehouse and will be on Vodafone UK, O2 UK, T-Mobile UK and Orange UK. So, you can walk in to any Carphone Warehouse or similar store , lay down £429.99 on the counter and walk out with a shiny new Nexus S in its sealed box. Or, in my case, you can win one in a competition, completely free and gratis. You could have knocked me down with the proverbial feather when I got the email telling me that I had won. This was one of my "wish list" handsets for 2011, should I have the cash available to go get one. Nicer still to get it for free though.

Initial Impression
As I lifted the Nexus S out of its compartment in the box I was flushed with a sense of awe, it is very attractive piece of technology, and disappointment. The latter because the apparent build is completely of plastic. It weighs next to nothing at all without the battery and SIM. I almost dropped it as I lifted it out, expecting something a bit more weighty.

It is a simple matter to "peel" the flimsy plastic back cover off the phone with a fingernail which then reveals a minimalist compartment for the battery and slot for the SIM. I have to wonder how long the cover would last in the hands of a typical Android developer/hacker where performing a battery pull is a routine way of getting your device back from the crash you just induced. Although, to be fair, it is possible to run this device without the back cover - and that may be the simple solution to that particular dilemma.

One should never look a gift horse in the mouth. But already I was feeling a tad disappointed at the new handset.

In Use
The initial power up surprised me, it is significantly quicker than the Nexus One and Froyo. The Nexus S is sporting Android 2.3, codename Gingerbread, that is due to be sent OTA to handsets around the world (unless you have a Sony Ericsson where they will not update your OS, preferring you to buy a new handset instead - as one does!). So the only official way to get your hands on Gingerbread right now is via the Nexus S.

Having started up there is the usual requirement to either sign in the Nexus S using your Google credentials or create a new Google account. I signed in with my normal Google ID. This is where the power and capability of Google's Android comes in. Having previously (always) opted to have Google back up my settings and profile the Nexus S then proceeded to build itself to my stored spec. All of my contacts, mail accounts and even applications were retrieved and installed, with only a couple of exceptions. Within a few minutes my Nexus S looked remarkably like my Nexus One. It was ready to go, all without me doing anything at all. This is a feature of Android, not the Nexus S I hasten to add.

The screen has a nice feel to it. It is plastic, not glass, and so I expect it to be easy to scratch. It does seem to have an coating on it [similar to the iPhone] that resists greasy marks from fingers and face. A nice touch. It is also very accurate, no calibration faults, and responsive - as much as the Android OS will allow it to be. Still, even on this supposed Android flagship, I find that the OS stutters and lags in use if there are any rapid gestures or taps made. Unlike iOS the Android OS still seems to be burdensome to the hardware. Perhaps all the rhetoric about Android requiring dual-core processors is not so far fetched? Certainly, there are times that the Nexus S struggles as much as the Nexus One ever did.

Buttons
There are only three physical buttons on this handset. Viewed from the front, on the right hand side is the power switch. It protrudes quite a bit really, unnecessarily so I would say. But I am being picky here.

On the left is the volume rocker, so one button perhaps, and this is light and accurate to use.

All of the Android OS buttons are "soft", that is they are part of the touchscreen. There is no trackpad or trackball, that has been eschewed in the Nexus S in favour of on-screen gestures to select text or move the cursor around.

Comparisons
It is inevitable that I am going to perform comparisons between the new Nexus S and the other smartphones that I have used - or in this case those that I actually have in my possession right now. So lets get to it.

As I write this I have in front of me an iPhone 4, arguable the reference bar for all touchscreen smartphones to date. I have a Google Nexus One, a Samsung Omnia 7 (Windows Phone 7) and the Google Nexus S (also from Samsung).

Build Quality
Three of the four handsets are sturdy metal and glass builds with minimal use of plastic. They feel robust and carry a nice weight. The Nexus S, by comparison, feels very Fisher Price with its total use of plastic. I do not hold much faith in its physical longevity and wonder how many would be capable of surviving even an 18 month mobile contract

The actual quality of the Nexus One build is reasonable - it is the choice of materials that concerns me. I can't see the touchscreen lasting at all long without a suitable protector fitted. Interestingly, it fits into the Nexus One's neoprene case nicely, so I may eBay myself one of those.

Voice Quality
Both the iPhone and Google Nexus One sport dual-microphone noise cancellation. This technology is simple these days, the DSPs to do this work are mature and so I am surprised that it is not standard in all mobile phones. The Nexus One led the pack, the iPhone followed, but no one else seems to have bothered. And that is a real shame as mobiles generally pick up far too much background noise, often swamping the person's speech. Yet with the Nexus One I frequently have to convince people that I am standing in a busy road and not sat in a quiet library, the technology is that good.

The Samsung Nexus S eschews this technology and so is as susceptible to background noise as any other mobile handset. An unbelievable omission in the specification of the succeeding Nexus device.

Performance

The iPhone 4 flies along like it is on well oiled rails. It is slick, fast and completely accurate.
The Samsung Omnia 7 WP7 is also very slick and fast, everything you do on it feels good. You do not get a sense of the device fumbling your commands.
The HTC-built Google Nexus One is so typical, for me, Android. I love the OS but worry about the burden that the OS places upon the hardware. In this case, it stammers and stutters, very often getting your commands wrong or ignoring them completely. Typing is a complete chore, having to constantly correct errors that it throws up.
The Samsung-built Google Nexus S is a faithful follow on to the Nexus One in the performance stakes. It seems to do little better than its predecessor, being quite capable of messing up the typing, missing screen gestures, requiring repeated prods to get it to launch an app etc.

Display Screen
With these smartphones there is a total reliance upon the display screen, so it has got to be good. Hasn't it?

The iPhone 4 has its Retina display and that is very easy on the eye with its extraordinarily high resolution. No other manufacturer yet comes close.
The Samsung Omnia 7 has a high quality display screen also, that is accurate, evenly lit and easy on the eye.
The Google Nexus One has a gorgeous AMOLED screen that is great indoors but can suffer a quite bit in external daylight making it very hard to see.
The Google Nexus S has a Super AMOLED WVGA PenTile (to quote Samsung) screen that is crystal clear. I have not had a chance to use it in sunlight but would not expect anything different to the Nexus One's screen in that respect.

Conclusions
So, did the Samsung-manufactured Google Nexus S win me over?

No, disappointingly, it did not. Being keen not to confuse the hardware issues with Android or Gingerbread, I find that the physical build of the Nexus S to be completely under-specified for a "reference" handset. It is weak and, for in excess of £400, does not justify the price. It feels very much like a toy in the hand and I would even go as far as to suggest that the Orange San Francisco has a more confidence-inspiring build to it.

When I sit the Samsung Nexus S next to its sibling, the Omnia 7 from the same manufacturer, I find a huge difference in the construction materials. You could break your foot if you dropped the Omnia 7 on to it. Whereas it feels like the Nexus S would shatter as it landed on your moccasin slipper! It really would not, but it just feels like it would!

Recommendations
If you want the next reference Android handset to the Nexus One then this Nexus S is for you. As a general purpose handset it is on par with the other Samsung Galaxy S devices - if you're used to those then this handset will be no surprise to you. And so I would urge anyone contemplating a Nexus S to go and handle on in a store first, taking your time to be absolutely certain that it is for you.

Caveat emptor (buyer beware) applies.

miffed
15th January 2011, 05:39 PM
I really don't get the idea of using a Plastic screen on a device of this supposed quality ? The Galaxy S was Glass wasn't it ?

Unless it is some kind of Patented supa doopa bullet proof blemish proof plastic (?) ...then they are frankly taking the pee IMO !

Hands0n
15th January 2011, 07:08 PM
From what I've read they can't make curved Gorilla glass. I don't know if that is true or not. I managed to swerve by the Galaxy S :)

The glass and the casing are tightly integrated. There is no movement or creaking of plastic as one might anticipate. It is definitely not glass. The reflections reveal an unlevel surface that glass does not have using modern production methods. It must be hard and thick as it does not seem to flex. So far I've not been able to find any written word on the screen construction. But I'm looking :)

Ben
15th January 2011, 11:00 PM
Fantastic review, Hands0n, exceptionally well written.

What a shame that Google's new flagship for Android leaves so much to be desired. It really seems that they should've aimed far higher with this release. Perhaps they believe other manufacturers are more than capable of picking up the gauntlet by themselves now, but with Android still at such an early stage that could well turn out to be a mistake.

The handset itself doesn't sound like one that people in great numbers will be rushing out to buy. A plastic screen and dropping back on the noise cancellation? Development tool and not much more?

The Mullet of G
16th January 2011, 06:10 PM
This phone defies logic and its release baffles me. Its not like Google have to release a reference phone, so why release one this bad?

3GScottishUser
16th January 2011, 08:50 PM
The forthcoming Samsung Galaxy S2 looks like the one to watch for. Dual Core CPU and a new slimmer more squared design plus Gingerbread.

Pic and specs here: http://www.androidguys.com/2010/07/05/samsung-galaxy-2/

Release date mid 2011

Hands0n
16th January 2011, 09:51 PM
I really am left wondering how disappointed at least some Google Nexus S buyers are going be. With the Nexus One you received a very satisfyingly solidly constructed device. With the new Nexus S you've got a lump of plastic with some very sophisticated electronics and software. But that really is it. Had I paid that amount of money I would have been returning it via Distance Selling regulations. But seeing as I have won it as a prize I am delighted to have the latest and greatest. But I do not feel entirely confident making it my primary or secondary handset.

Samsung Galaxy S2? Given my disposition toward Samsung equipment, if its all the same to you, no thanks :) I'd rather take my chances with most any other manufacturer save for Sony Ericsson who is juggling with Samsung for first position on my "do not like" leader board.

Ben
16th January 2011, 11:17 PM
See, there does at least seem to be something about Sony Ericsson handsets - the ones I've owned anyway. They've got personality. Not that you can buy one with Android as they are, afaik, the worst at updating :(

Samsung, though, I've never seen the appeal in. Others manage to find it, but not me.

The Mullet of G
17th January 2011, 11:20 AM
Agreed on Sony Ericsson, have they actually released a phone in the last 2 or 3 years that hasn't been the subject of a recall? I really don't know how they are still in business, I can't actually remember the last time I saw anyone using an SE phone. Likewise its always sensible to avoid Samsung and also Motorola, but most people already know that. :)

solo12002
20th January 2011, 11:16 PM
Handson thanks for the well written review. Now heres my problem. I ve some cash not a pot of gold, I like the iphone but to dear to buy sim free and as I have a sim contract deal on BB with 02 and sim deal with three on one plan i dont want another contrcat.

I was looking at:

iphone - to dear sim free no matter how good it is.
Google Nexus S - your review is sound and well written with good information ive been looked at it twice and feel its something you buy from toys r Us not a good feel over alla
I have had a nokia touch screen before found it slow and crap and i no longer like the Os provided

So heres what Ive looked at so far:

Nokia C6 - 01 cheap but better touch screen than the 5228 I had cons Outdated OS
Samsung Galaxy S
Motorola Defy
SE X10

I like the goggle Os and would like something I can upgrade to 2.3 . Anyone els ewith any ideas or advise which of the above i should go for. I have a BB Bold 9700 and will upgradr to 9870 I just love the email, and keyboard

Hands0n
20th January 2011, 11:56 PM
@solo12002 - There may be light at the end of the tunnel in respect to the Google Nexus S :)

While I have been highly critical of the full-on plastic casing and screen it is possible to mitigate against some of my concerns with the aid of good old eBay. I have ordered a couple of bits for the Nexus S that I think will be quite effective in offering the protection that I need for the handset's own case.

Protective Case
Firstly I have ordered a stylised case for the Nexus S from here for £3.49 --> http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190491431977

Now I think that looks quite fetching really. Quite possibly one of the best protective case designs that I have ever seen. I just hope that it is as good looking in the flesh as it is in the picture.

Screen Protector
There are dozens of options available, some would appear to be cheaper than others, possibly substandard too. I have gone for one of these here for £1.99 --> http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190485062747#ht_1891wt_1060

So there is hope :)

Performance
The actual performance of the Nexus S is very respectable. It is quick enough, although it does suffer the typical Android occasional stutter. Much less so than the Nexus One, I can say that much.

Should you buy one?
Seriously, if you want the vanilla Google Android experience then I think that you need to either buy one of the Nexus handsets (the One or the S) or grab hold of any handset that takes your fancy and install the Android ROM of your choice. Particularly I think that Cyanogen provides good support and regular updates to his particular ROM taken from the AOSP code typically.

All the others
Typically all of the others are "skinned" by the manufacturers. Watch out, also, for the manufacturers who are very poor at providing updates to Android.

Do take a few moments to read up on this article here --> http://bit.ly/ffAvYJ

miffed
21st January 2011, 08:23 AM
I noticed an ever so tiny inaccuracy on that graph , Dell began rolling out the 2.2 update for the streak in Dec 2010 ,
so that "0%" should actually read "100%".
Not saying Dell are great at updates ....but they're not THAT bad either and deserve more than a zero ! !

Hands0n
21st January 2011, 09:04 PM
@solo12002 - The case and screen protector arrived today (24 hours after ordered). The case itself looks as good in real life as in the photographs. It adds a little bulk to the handset, which is nice, and is very grippy. It is a soft plastic that wraps around the handset, so it actually covers the lip of the screen protector and makes the dust and dirt resistance that much more effective. The lip of the case also means that it is impossible for the screen to touch the surface of whatever the handset is placed down upon, such as table or other flat surface. The case looks very natural on the Nexus S. Certainly, it does not take away from the handset like some cases do on other handsets.

The holes in the screen protector are well positioned to expose the earpiece, front-facing camera and proximity sensor. This does mean that those parts of the original screen are exposed to potential damage, but it is not too likely unless significant abuse is had.

@Miffed - Fair point about Dell, the graph obviously precedes Dell's release of Android 2.2 Froyo for their one and only device, the Streak. And to be fair, the graph is all about Froyo only. But I'd not give them 100% even if, statistically, that is accurate (damn statistics!). There is no way they do a better job at keeping their devices updated than HTC...

People should be very wary of Sony Ericsson who have already said that they will not update their Xperia series beyond Android Eclair 2.1. Those wanting Froyo or later will have to buy the latest Xperia to gain those OS versions. I do feel that SE live on another planet altogether.

solo12002
21st January 2011, 09:32 PM
what about HTC 7 Trophy and windos 7 devices?? to buy

Hands0n
21st January 2011, 10:00 PM
I did a Windows Phone 7 (WP7) review on Talk3G during the past week. There are two articles;
Here --> https://talk3g.co.uk/showthread.php?8579-Samsung-Omnia-7-Windows-Mobile-7-smartphone-on-Three
And Here --> https://talk3g.co.uk/showthread.php?8594-Six-Days-Later-Samsung-Omnia-7-Windows-Mobile-7-on-Three

Basically, WP7 is very new, it is where iOS was in the original 2G handset. The Omnia 7 handset is terriffic, very solid, very metal.

The HTC7 Trophy is at the budget end for WP7 and is no less a WP7 handset than the others in the club. I haven't had my mitts on one yet. But this review (http://www.techradar.com/reviews/phones/mobile-phones/htc-7-trophy-900357/review) sings its praises :)

Can you get into a store to play with a few of these for ten minutes each? That would really help you decide.

hecatae
22nd January 2011, 10:50 AM
I noticed an ever so tiny inaccuracy on that graph , Dell began rolling out the 2.2 update for the streak in Dec 2010 ,
so that "0%" should actually read "100%".
Not saying Dell are great at updates ....but they're not THAT bad either and deserve more than a zero ! !

Dell has two devices, the Streak and the XCD35 which is a rebranded ZTE Blade

hecatae
22nd January 2011, 10:56 AM
Motorola Defy was selling for £249.99 from Amazon.co.uk before Christmas, they are still selling it, but for £279.99 http://www.amazon.co.uk/Motorola-Defy-Sim-Free-Mobile-Phone/dp/B00485CGHS

It's very highly praised by the current Editor of What Mobile, Jon Morris, and the founder of What Mobile, David Chow http://forum.whatmobile.net/showthread.php?t=43588

and a 2.2 rom has already been released in China, and xda-developers are busy with custom roms.

gorilla
1st June 2011, 01:50 PM
Be warned, this is a long post and follows a similar format to Hands0n's approach above.

Before the Nexus S
Having been a a mac user for over 4 years and previously owning both the iPhone 3G and the 3GS I made the jump to Android last June when I purchased the HTC Desire. I have repeatedly stated during the past 12 months that, for me, Android is on a par with iOS devices and actually ahead in some aspects. With that in mind I have now purchased the Samsung Nexus S. For my mind, it is the best example of comparing an Android phone to the iPhone.

So why did I upgrade if I loved the HTC Desire so much?
This is easy, despite the Desire being one of the best (if not the best) phone I have ever owned it was a year old and I was starting to want a new phone. Like most of you on this forum, that only spells one thing – I have to get a new phone!

So the Desire was rooted early on and has run a variety of ROMS over the 12 months, but lately I have been using ROMs that mirror stock Android e.g. Oxygen (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=971904) and DevNull (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=968504). (As a piece of trivia, I think the Desire is the most hacked phone of all the Android handsets on the market today. The sheer volume of custom ROMs available for it is astonishing.)

As I say goodbye to the Desire, I leave the handset running Android 2.3.4.

Initial Impression
So what of my new Nexus S?
I ordered it from prepaymania (http://www.prepaymania.co.uk/) for £303 delivered – I have to say that I hadn’t heard of this outfit before, but the phone arrived on schedule, so no complaints.
The box itself was your typical phone box, nice and compact and obviously inspired by Apple.
The Nexus S comes with a separate power cable and data cable which I though was a nice touch (charging and data transfer is by Micro USB). Also in the box was a headset which I haven’t used it.
As Hands0n has already stated, the phone is black plastic and is not of the same build quality as the HTC Desire. However, it feels much lighter and sits well in your hand. Let’s not forget that this is a 4” device as opposed to the 3.7” Desire.

In Use
When I turned the phone on I logged in with my Google account and the phone instantly started syncing my personal data and downloading my apps from the Market. It downloaded most, but not all of my apps. There was no faffing with iTunes or connecting it to a PC to activate – it just worked without fuss. First thing I needed to do however was update the operating system to 2.3.4 as it shipped with 2.3.3.
But you know what? The phone told me I had to update and off it went and started downloading the update.
A word of warning here: installing this update wiped the phone and I had to set the phone up as new again. This was not the case with the Desire, but perhaps I did something wrong.
I had a quick play and I decided that I knew enough about stock Android and that I would be better rooting the phone now rather than later. So that’s what I did. I followed this guide (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=970237) to the letter and it worked great.
I haven’t put a custom ROM on yet as I want to keep to the pure stuff for now, but rooting lets you do simple things like take a screen shot.

Buttons
The Nexus S has no physical menu buttons, but so far these have not caused me any issues. One thing I do miss (although it’s not a big deal) is the trackball which was handy when you need to edit some text.

Is this the best phone I’ve owned?
I think it’s right up there. It’s certainly better than the HTC Desire and the 3GS, which were good phones in their time.
There are several factors that are important to me:
1. Screen size – 4” is probably the biggest size I would want on a phone and the Nexus S has a great screen,
2. Size and weight – it’s big but light, mainly due to the plastic case. I carry the Nexus S around in a protective pouch, but I also carried the Desire in its own pouch, so I’m used to the bulk.
3. Battery – Even at this stage with the battery not being totally calibrated the Nexus S has a better battery life than the Desire. I should easily expect the Nexus S to last me two days of normal use. My Desire was easily lasting me a day with the DevNull Rom and the latest radio installed. This compares favourably to the iPhone 4 which does not last my GF more than 10 hours. She must have a dud.
4. Apps – people make a big deal about the quality of the apps in the Android Market compared to the Apps Store. Well I’m sorry, the apps I use are the same as the ones I have on my iPad (give or take) and they work fine. I’m a google guy and on Android google’s apps are better than iOS. Fact!
5. Notifications – I’ve not had a problem with notifications. Scratch that. I did have a problem with notifications (too many!), but I soon learned to only allow certain apps to update themselves in the background. I now get push notifications from SMS, email, ping chat, calendar and everything else I manually update. I feel I am more productive this way.
What about the Nexus S hardware?
I like the phone! I don’t mind that it feels light and is shiny black plastic. The buttons feel solid and the screen is responsive. There is a satisfying ‘click’ when connecting the charger.
My one gripe is that the headphone jack is on the bottom. I’m struggling to get used to this, but only because (in my head) the volume controls are back to front. I will get used to this though.

Camera: The Nexus S comes with two cameras. I’m on record in several places stating that IMO the iPhone 4 has the best camera of any phone. That is still the case. The Nexus S has a 5 megapixel camera. It’s ok. I’ll leave it at that. It’s just your standard phone camera.
The front facing camera is VGA quality and is really there to compete with Apple’s Facetime. Surprisingly using the google talk app video calls work well, even on 3G. This app also lets you make standard VOIP calls to other GTALK users.
Minor gripe: why can’t GTALK and Facetime get along? Those two apps would be very useful if they allowed you to chat to users of both systems.

Loudspeaker: I can’t figure this out. When playing music through the loudspeaker I feel let down, but when using the loudspeaker for phone calls it works really well. So good that I can actually see myself using this more often, something I rarely used on other handsets.

Call quality is good.

I use the swype keyboard, just because I prefer that over a more traditional keyboard, but the standard gingerbread keyboard is a big improvement over that crap that came with the Desire i.e. the HTC keyboard which was awful.

Display
I have the i9023 model which has the Super LCD instead of the Super AMOLED screen that originally shipped with the handset. A lot has been said of SLCD, but for my eyes the screen is superb even with the brightness turned down. In this respect it compares favourably to the Desire.

Conclusions
It’s difficult to compare like for like so I will end my narrative now. To conclude, the Nexus S is generally a little bit faster at everything compared to the Desire. So this is definitely an incremental upgrade, similar to the iPhone 3G to 3GS.
So much about mobile phones today is not about the hardware, but about the operating system and the apps. The right hardware will however enhance that experience. Therefore, if you’re considering the Nexus S you will not be disappointed. It’s a snappy phone that multitasks well and will more than meet the needs of most people.

paulbds
1st June 2011, 09:55 PM
I really wish you had not posted a review about this phone - Damn you

I have had to go and buy the same phone -I also had that "need to get a new phone syndrome" seriously, that price was absolutely bloody amazing - I have been waiting for the price to drop at CPW but it's still over the £420 mark

Nice review, balanced....

Now I will have to sell my Nexus 1 on ebay - what a chore:rolleyes:

Cheers

Paul

Hands0n
1st June 2011, 11:48 PM
Well, thats three of us with Nexus S then. A veritable herd, or whatever the collective noun is for a group of Android phones :D

Over the few months that I have owned the Nexus S it has definitely grown on me, and the updates to Android 2.3.4 has seen incremental improvements to the OS for this handset.

I am using Launcher Pro in lieu of the stock Android UI - it is a good and speedy improvement, although there really isn't anything wrong with stock.

I use the Nexus S interchangeably with the iPhone 4, and the Nexus S more so for mobile data or mobile hotspot where it performs superbly. The other week I had it on mobile hotspot mode for just over six hours and there was plenty of battery life left in it to see me home. At that rate, it would appear to have a similar operational life, per charge, to the Three MiFi.

The Nexus S is on its second screen protector after I damaged the first one with a drop. The rubberised "boot" case that it is installed in gave it complete protection, it is still pristine. The new screen protector is a cheap one I bought on eBay, a set of six. They won't last too long. Then I will switch back to something a bit more premium.

I am astounded at the price that Gorilla has managed to locate, that is truly great value, never mind compared to CPWs retail price. For £302 you will not find a finer Android handset and I do believe that I would have been compelled to pick one up at that price had I not already had this one.

So have I changed my mind about recommending a Nexus S? Well, on balance, I do believe that I have. With all of my original warnings about protecting the plastic in place I would indeed recommend the Nexus S to anyone wanting a premium Android handset.

For sure, there are new dual core devices coming on stream, but my evaluation of those that I have had in my hand so far is that there is little gain to the technology. The devices, all of them, are still memory-bound with ridiculously small amounts of RAM. The Nexus S has ~300MB of RAM and 1GB of internal flash memory "internal storage". I fitted a 16GB SD card (USB Storage it calls it). Of the 300MB RAM 161MB is used, leaving 139MB free. This may appear to be a lot, some 45% remaining. But I am only running a few apps, simply because I know the RAM is limited. Sure, Android has a sophisticated memory management capability, but there really is no excuse for such meagre RAM in this day and age. Let these machines breathe, give them some elbow room.

Like PaulBDS, I will be outing the Nexus 1 on eBay some time - it is mint and has the official Car Dock which is a treat of integration built by HTC.

Ben
2nd June 2011, 10:03 AM
That price is pretty stunning... I mean, I firmly believe that the iPhone 4 justifies its price tag, but it throws a hefty spanner in the works when you can get Nexus S performance for ~£300. I can imagine a vast number of phone buyers would conclude "sure, I'd love an iPhone, but I'm buying a Nexus S."

Any of you chaps got "in the wild" pictures of your Nexus S's?

gorilla
2nd June 2011, 12:42 PM
I had meant to take comparison pictures of the Nexus S beside the Desire, but my weekend got away from me and I no longer have the Desire! I can post some pics later.

@Hands0n I'm also using Launcher Pro which is my preferred launcher. I've used a few others including ADW and Go Launcher, but launcher pro is just better IMO!
Where do you find out your RAM usage?

As I use the phone more and more I'm noticing that I get a better mobile and WIFI signal when compared to the Desire. Could that be because it's made of plastic?

Other people have commented on how light it is, and how good the screen is, so it's definitely a looker, but then most phones are a looker when compared to the Desire :)

miffed
11th July 2011, 05:41 PM
I was out wandering around Great Yarmouth today , when I spotted a Unlocked / A conditioned Nexus S in Cex's window for £280 , I went inside and inspected it further to confirm it was indeed mint condition , and walked out of the shop with my new toy !

As I left the shop I could imagine the cries ..... "what ? It isn't even dual core.... And the GS2 is far better ...". , but I don't care ! I like the fact that Samsung hav made this and are not allowed to let touchwiz anywhere near it ! So here goes my first Samsung since the T100 ! It is currently charging , but I can't wait to get my hands on it and retire my faithful Dell Streak to the role of satnav !

hecatae
11th July 2011, 07:03 PM
seen there is a 2.3.5 gingerbread available that enables the NFC chip in the Nexus S, according to Sprint USA, anyone seen the update?

Hands0n
11th July 2011, 07:21 PM
I was out wandering around Great Yarmouth today , when I spotted a Unlocked / A conditioned Nexus S in Cex's window for £280 , I went inside and inspected it further to confirm it was indeed mint condition , and walked out of the shop with my new toy !

Congrats on the new acquisition. The Nexus S is a superb device, if not a little on the plastic side - that is easily solved by the addition of a £2 gel case from eBay ( http://tinyurl.com/6ymnr9h highly recommended) and a screen protector.

Dual core? Well you'd not think it needed a dual core processor to see it fly along. I think that only gamers will notice the difference, particularly those with the NVidia Tegra SoC/GPU devices. In those the GPU is what steals the show, with graphics that rival the XBox in terms of visuals and performance. It has to be seen to be believed. But for "ordinary" use, whatever that is, I don't think most will notice single or dual core.

Do tell us your early experiences and thoughts.

miffed
11th July 2011, 09:52 PM
Totally agree WRT The plastic factor , in fact half my reasoning for having giving the device a good inspection was to get a feel for the device in hand , I was aware of the form , but I have to say it did pass the test for me ! I had the impression that the nexus S was similar to the t-mobile pulse (which I paid £89 for !). But in the hand it does feel better quality , albeit better quality plastic ! But then that's what Samsung do , isn't it ? I find the build far nicer than original Galaxy S. , but then I have a particular distaste for that device , I nearly bought one a year ago - right up until I picked one up and it felt horrible , then saw Paul over at Modaco posting up photos of his "weeks old" one , where the paint was coming off around the button and letting light bleed through !! Reminding me of cheap nokias gone by !
But yeah , the Nexus feels plasticy , but Ok.

The curved glass seems a bit ... Well , pointless m but the screen is very nice and colours do indeed pop.

performance is good too , doesn't seem to knock spots off my Dell streak , but is definitely smoother and less prone to stuttery, sticky moments. But I think that us more testimony to the Dell and DJ_steve , rather than any shortcoming of the Nexus S

Certainly nice to get a new toy ! And I look forward to using it as my #2 phone for a while .

Ben
12th July 2011, 11:45 AM
You guys and your impulse purchases! Feels like I brood over buying decisions for months before taking the plunge ;)

Sounds like a great buy!