View Full Version : T-Mobile Pusle Mini Android - £59.99

3GScottishUser
16th January 2011, 02:13 PM
Just saw this advertised:

Android, 3.2MP Camera, GPS, 2GB SD Included on PAYG for £59.99.

Looks like a bargain!

http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/shop/pay-as-you-go/t-mobile-pulse-mini/

The Mullet of G
16th January 2011, 06:14 PM
Looks like a bargain!

It isn't.

I think the following two quotes from that site sum it up quite well.

+ This mobile phone has no outstanding positive points.
- It scores poorly on design.

hecatae
16th January 2011, 06:27 PM
as an introduction to Android, it's fantastic, but the resistive screen is a killer

miffed
16th January 2011, 08:08 PM
Got to be worth £60 with the free 6 months data ! ...but can't really recommend it with the Orange San francisco available for £40 or so more.

3GScottishUser
16th January 2011, 08:39 PM
Sets a new price point for android handsets and that must be a good thing.

Looks like T-Mobile are clearing some stock.

The Mullet of G
17th January 2011, 11:45 AM
I agree with miffed, its hard to justify buying that thing when you can get the San Francisco for just a little more.

Also IMO this low price point isn't a good thing, at all. I feel it is just exacerbating the already problematic fragmentation issues, Google should impose a minimum CPU speed of 1Ghz for all Android handsets, and no handset sold should be incapable of running the current version of the OS.

miffed
23rd March 2011, 09:13 AM
Now £29.99 !

hecatae
23rd March 2011, 09:51 AM
same price for the pink one

http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/shop/pay-as-you-go/t-mobile-pulse-mini-pink/

gorilla
23rd March 2011, 01:34 PM
£29.99 for a phone and 6 months data, that is a pretty good deal. Was thinking about getting it for my mum, but it might be more trouble than it's worth.

hecatae
23rd March 2011, 01:47 PM
resistive screen and tappy stylus

Ben
23rd March 2011, 07:35 PM
The Reevoo reviews look pretty good, though battery life scores badly. For the money it's a very interesting proposition, but not having used one I can't really comment on whether it's actually worth buying!

Anyone got one/used one?

hecatae
14th April 2011, 11:00 AM
now only £19.99 online for the pink one

http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/shop/pay-as-you-go/t-mobile-pulse-mini-pink/

have to buy £10 top up, but comes with 6 months free internet, install a custom rom with wireless tethering and you have a cheap mifi unit for 6 months

olve
21st April 2011, 01:41 PM
I think for money it is pretty good deal but what about the battery life?
can any one reply who has used this phone before?
I am new here.........

hecatae
24th June 2011, 11:45 AM

black one now £19.99

Hands0n
24th June 2011, 01:24 PM
This is an astonishing development! Android phones for less than the price of a night out? Who would have thought.

Do you know what version of Android it has (out of the box, before you've fiddled with it :D )? Also, what are the unlock possibilities with these?

I paid a similar price, each, for a pair of Nokia basics last year, no camera, 2G only, rubber keyboards that kept falling off, but stupidly long standby and talk times :) - so it wasn't that bad. But seriously, with these, they'd make smashing Christmas Stocking fillers for some people.

gorilla
24th June 2011, 01:46 PM
Is this as good as the iPhone 4?

;);););););););););)

Just kidding, but seriously how bad could this be for £30? Could you just use this as a mifi? (Disclaimer: t-mobile don't seem to operate 3G in NI, so useless for me!).

hecatae
24th June 2011, 05:57 PM
it's got froyo and gingerbread custom roms, i gather you could use as a mifi

3GScottishUser
24th June 2011, 08:27 PM
£20 what a bargain! Hope its unlockable and if it is I might buy a truckload!

Can you use an Orange SIM in it?

Hands0n
24th June 2011, 08:40 PM
They can definitely be unlocked, just not for free. Unlocks can be had on eBay for between £10 and £13. Similar prices by using Google, but beware there are some silly prices out there.

Once unlocked you could put in any SIM you like. The rest is down to configuring the APN if the Pulse doesn't automatically set it. Modaco has loads of information on de-branding and installing independent developer ROMs.

3GScottishUser
24th June 2011, 08:43 PM
Could be worth buying as a back-up phone. £30 for something that is a phone, MiFi, 3.2MP camera. It's an amazing proposition with 6 months free Internet if you keep the T-Mobile SIM in place.... Whats the catch?

Hands0n
24th June 2011, 08:51 PM
There is no catch :)

Also ... you'll like this Bill ... get £5 off by purchasing it through Quidco (they're doing £5 off on all PAYG purchases)

3GScottishUser
24th June 2011, 09:21 PM
This thing is a lot of technology for £25!

I know a few folks with old Nokias and the like so I need to spread the word.

The lowest Android priced phone previously was 3's ZTE at £50 with a £10 top-up and that looked a bargain but the T-Mobile Pulse Mini is sure to be a sell out at less than half of that.

Itching to buy one myself but I'm not sure what I'd do with it as I have my Galaxy S on contract and I love my cheap and cheery Orange Rio for texts now and that was only £20 and is just like a Blackberry in terms of functionality.

Should I just bag one anyway?

Hands0n
24th June 2011, 09:26 PM
Why not grab one as an experimenter - get used to rooting, installing recovery ROMs and custom ROMs. The independent developers have got some great ROMs out there. And no doubt you'll be able to uplift this from Android 2.1 (Eclair) to Gingerbread 2.3, or at least Froyo 2.2. And if you really don't like any of those Modaco have the stock ROMs available for download to put the Pulse Mini back to stock.

I've ordered one just now, through Quidco. What am I going to do with it? Well, if all goes to plan, a work colleague and me will most likely be sending it up into space. More on that as we progress the project. It only got launched as a chat today, so plenty to do. But a cheap and highly functional Android is an essential.

hecatae
24th June 2011, 09:44 PM
there is a cyanogenmod 7 rom for this on xda-developers.

Hands0n
24th June 2011, 09:50 PM
there is a cyanogenmod 7 rom for this on xda-developers.

I will be sure to be installing it within 48 hours of receipt :) Got to get it ready for its epic journey :D

hecatae
24th June 2011, 10:08 PM
I will be sure to be installing it within 48 hours of receipt :) Got to get it ready for its epic journey :D

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1096075 link to rom to save looking

Hands0n
24th June 2011, 10:13 PM
Cool, thanks for that :)

3GScottishUser
24th June 2011, 10:38 PM
Placed my order. At worst it's a phone I can gift to my sister for christmas and at best it can replace my againg LG Viewty on 3 once I deal with the SIM lock.

It looks an amazing deal and thanks for the Anrooid update info. I will update the firmware as soon as I get it.

Nice find, even if it is for evaluation purposes. My work is now delivering mobile gaming and I attended a conference yesterday and was shown some Android authoring software and some emulators but the latter are pretty slow and useless so the pulse could be very handy testing new apps.

We will have these phones soon and it will be interesting to find out what something costing 1/10th of an iPhone or Galaxy S2 does.....