View Full Version : Nokia shelves flagship AT&T device launch

Ben
20th January 2011, 11:54 AM
Nokia is reported to have cancelled the exclusive launch of a new flagship smartphone with US operator AT&T, with claims that Nokia felt the device “wasn’t going to receive enough marketing and subsidies support from the operator." According to the Wall Street Journal, the handset, called X7, was set for an introduction at next month’s GSMA Mobile World Congress, although this may still take place – but without AT&T as Nokia’s headline partner. The aborted launch may prove something of an embarrassment for Stephen Elop, Nokia’s recently installed CEO, who many believed would strengthen the vendor’s position in North America – he is a Canadian, and a former Microsoft executive. It was previously reported that Elop has taken on direct responsibility for the smartphone unit.

The news is primarily significant because of Nokia’s acknowledged, and ongoing, weakness in the US market, where its high-tier products are generally only made available unlocked through retailers, rather than sold with operator subsidy and marketing support. The launch of a high-spec device with a tier one operator would have been a significant fillip for both Nokia and Symbian OS, which are currently little more than also-rans in the country. AT&T’s website currently does not list any Symbian OS devices from Nokia, while T-Mobile USA offers one – the entry level 5230 Nuron. Nokia’s flagship N8 smartphone costs US$469 from Nokia’s webstore unlocked, compared with US$199 for an iPhone 4 when purchased with a service contract. Despite AT&T’s lack of evident support for Symbian OS, it was Nokia’s partner for a 2010 North America developer contest, intended to promote adoption of the platform in the region.

http://www.mobilebusinessbriefing.com/article/nokia-shelves-flagship-at-and-t-device-launch

The Mullet of G
20th January 2011, 06:16 PM
Pretty sweet bullet dodge by Nokia, AT&T are a terrible network and having any sort of dealings with them is best avoided.

Also the X7 doesn't really strike me as being a high spec flagship smartphone, looks more like a mid range music phone, the features and model number seem to also suggest thats the case.

Nokia need to ditch the USA and get on with dominating the rest of the world, seriously no one except Americans cares about the USA. :)

miffed
21st January 2011, 06:25 PM
A Nokia launch not going as planned eh ? , surely not ?

I had promised myself to be interested in the E7 , but (as usual ) no sign of it - Don't think I can be bothered , the world has moved on !

Nokia should take a tip from Amstrad and find something simple they can make , and stick to it . Remote controls / smoke alarms perhaps ?

miffed
21st January 2011, 07:51 PM
LOL , seems I am not alone in this line of thinking

http://www.techeye.net/mobile/nokia-delays-e7

Hands0n
21st January 2011, 08:49 PM
Ooooh. Scathing :D

The Mullet of G
22nd January 2011, 01:45 AM
Not sure why people get all up in arms when Nokia misses a launch, I'd understand if your new to the world of mobile phones or just the world in general, but seriously this is how Nokia have always operated and its still the biggest phone maker in the world, I think this pretty much says everything that need ever be said. :)

Hands0n
22nd January 2011, 10:13 AM
It does rather show how stuck in a timewarp Nokia seem to be. If they really believe that they do not have to up their game and compete then they will realise the folly of such thinking. No matter how allegedly big or successful they can suffer the inevitability of such misguided thinking. Even Nokia cannot afford complacency.

Meanwhile, the rest of the world, man and dog, moves on. With or without Nokia. But I think the point is that people, of all persuasions, actually want Nokia to do better, to compete on an even footing, to deliver a better and more reliable service. If people were completely disinterested in Nokia there would not be so much conversation about it. We'd all pretty much ignore the firm and its products as a complete irrelevance. And Nokia, in their inimitable way, are helping folk get to that mindset, shown with such abundant clarity when even their loyalist blogging community thinned out so remarkably [and vocally] in 2010.

Some have returned to the Nokia fold, but will they remain if Nokia keep on as if nothing has changed? Missing a delivery by a full quarter is not only tedious but it is also unacceptable in this day and age. Especially as it has become a consistent pattern for the firm.

Perhaps Nokia would do well to keep their product announcements quiet until they can forecast a realistic delivery schedule.

miffed
22nd January 2011, 12:40 PM
The funny thing is the even the Nokia Die hards are struggling , a while back they were all talking as if the N96 was a blip ,and preaching "come the N97...."
N97 then proved itself very poor , and they all turned their focus to the N8 , which has turned out to be poor & they are all pinning their hopes on whatever comes next ! it really is laughable , but also you have to admire their faith and decication - sort of like the Morris Marina fan club !