View Full Version : What on earth is going on at Nokia? N9-00 is cancelled?

Hands0n
23rd January 2011, 05:49 PM
Would anyone care to speculate? I've been seeing a few tweets about Nokia cancelling the N9, and delays to the C6 and E7 with no particular reason being given. Then there was the experience of the N8 which was similarly delayed.

Is this Nokia normal behaviour, is the rot set in, or is this the new broom sweeping clean at Nokia?

Discuss.

miffed
23rd January 2011, 06:13 PM
My (cynical ) opinion is that Nokia know they are generally poised to disappoint. The know their fanbase are 100% loyal , and that they can get away with putting out substandard carp , as long as there is perceived "light at the end of the tunnel"
I think that now people are familiar enough with Symbian 3 to realise nothing has changed , Nokia now realise the need to move away from it !

My guess is that we'll see a new line announced , based around something OTHER than Symbian 3 ( Meego ? )

Hands0n
23rd January 2011, 07:01 PM
Getti correctly advises me that the N9 is a Meego specified device. However, to be sure, the latest raft of their "flagship" handsets have been delayed each and every time, much to the annoyance of their observers - fans and otherwise.

There is a certain amount of [very] critical comment being proffered by by a Russian blogger - who claims to be a journalist, but that is in much doubt - a certain Mr Eldar Murtazin who appears to have fallen out with Nokia in a pretty big way. Being mortally offended he is said to be waging a one-man campaign against Nokia from Russia. There is an article here by another blogger http://bit.ly/gaaHak who Eldar claims is paid by Nokia to put out such things. And so the war of words ranges on. It is better than telly, to be sure.

Returning to the plot, it does seem that there is a lot of uncertainty around the N9, with Nokia being tight-lipped as usual. All of the discussion could be doing Nokia no real harm, perhaps even a bit viral in their favour. Or not?

But regardless, Nokia are under a critical spotlight right now.