View Full Version : My Vodafone 3G Experiences

berberis
20th June 2005, 01:56 PM
I moved from Orange to Vodafone a few months back. I got a 3G mobile connect datacard and a Sony Ericsson V800.

The datacard was much better than the Orange equivalent, the GPRS connection was rock solid and the 3G connection was OK, except it that it would drop without warning.

I did not like the V800, the sound quality was rubbish. Even to the point of redialling to try and get a better connection.

Then one day I forgot my datacard and had to use the V800 for a data connection. What a revelation, it connected in about half the time than the datacard and the 3G connection was rock solid! I stayed connected for 4 hours, something I never managed with the datacard.

So I put the SIM from the datacard in the V800 and use it for data. I put the SIM from the V800 in a Nokia 1100, it has all the features I require and has good sound quality.

I am happy now; the only downside is that I need two sockets (phone and laptop) now. And I suppose Vodafone won’t be too happy that I can’t access all those wizzy 3G services.

Jon3G
20th June 2005, 02:12 PM
I had problems with the sound quality with the V800. I managed to get the changed to a Nokia and that was sorted.

I am currently trialing the Orange data card and its great so far.

I like you went to Vodafone from Orange and really regreted it

Welcome to Talk3G and look forward to more posts from you

berberis
20th June 2005, 05:15 PM
I found that the Orange data card was good if the signal strength was good, otherwise forget it.

I don't regret my move to Vodafone. Orange were once a great company to do business with, but now they are to be avoided. A lie comes as easily from the mouths of their customer service people as the truth does. Vodafone are just like most companies, mostly rubbish, but sometimes you get someone good.

I was hoping that 3G would solve my mobile data needs. In theory it should, but both Orange's and Vodafone's offerings have had major flaws. I had hoped it would stop the search for a Wifi hotspot, but now I look for 3G hotspots. I had hoped for fast, reliable connections but instead I can have fast or I can have reliable.

Oh well, maybe WiMax will live up to its hype.