View Full Version : How well has T-Mobile integrated it's "network" with Orange?

gorilla
15th February 2011, 12:58 PM
I would like to know if I was to sign up to t-mobile, how likely it is that I would use orange 3g in areas where t-mobile do not have 3g coverage.

Basically, in N Ireland t-mobile sucks! but with this network sharing arrangement under the "everything everywhere" brand I think I'm right to expect that where t-mobile does not have 3g the phone will lock onto an orange 3g signal (should one exist).
Is this the correct assumption?

Orange have a pretty comprehensive 3g network here, but I don't like their tariffs.

So, t-mobile users, have you noticed improved data coverage?

I should state that I'm not the least bit interested in making phone calls, I just want the best data I can get :D

Ben
15th February 2011, 02:01 PM
Hmm, it's 2G only at the moment I believe :( http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/share/

DBMandrake
15th February 2011, 09:46 PM
Orange and T-Mobile's networks are not "integrated" yet, all they are offering is cross network roaming for each others customers, (on an opt in basis) and as Ben points out that is only 2G at the moment.

As it is only roaming this means if you were talking on the phone while moving out of a T-Mobile coverage area, the call would drop, then the phone would roam to Orange. (The reverse is also the case)

Eventually the networks will be fully merged to be just one network with the combined coverage of the current two networks. Although no date has been officially announced yet some rumours say it will be some time around mid year, however I would not go into a contract just based on rumours. Wait and see seems to be the order of the day unfortunately.

Ben
15th February 2011, 11:39 PM
Oh definitely, I'd like to see proof of this taking place in the wild before I'd consider a contract.

Three no good?

Hands0n
16th February 2011, 10:42 AM
Unless/until the mobile networks are merged [in some fashion] at the HLR/VLR level (I believe) there will always be a call drop occur when the handset roams off one network to the other.

The "wait and see" advice is absolutely sound.

gorilla
21st February 2011, 12:43 PM
Thanks for the replies. To be honest I had forgotten about it! (I'll take a slap on the wrist!)

Three are generally fine, but I'm starting to think 100 minutes a month isn't enough so I've been looking around to see if I can get better for £10 a month. This network sharing agreement intrigued me as I thought it might make t-mobile a viable option here, but if it's only 2g at moment, then that would be a no!
One problem I do have with three is their 2g data arrangment is crap. However, I rarely get 2g (GPRS) outside of work so it's not a deal breaker.