View Full Version : Nokia Clarifies Plans To Customize Windows Phone

hecatae
18th February 2011, 10:17 AM
In an interview with Phone Scoop, Nokia Executive and Board Member Niklas Savander confirmed that Nokia's new deal with Microsoft gives Nokia nearly unlimited freedom to customize Microsoft's Windows Phone smartphone software.

http://www.phonescoop.com/news/item.php?n=7585

GSMArena backed this up with:

So in effect, the Nokia customizations to WP7 will be one of the following:
Surface changes that are quick and easy to accommodate in any new update by Microsoft
Deep-running customizations that will be integrated into the OS by Microsoft and made available to both Nokia and any other competing manufacturer

http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_has_green_light_to_customize_windows_phone_7 _as_they_please-news-2340.php

Ben
18th February 2011, 04:47 PM
It'll be interesting to see how this goes. Obviously Nokia have incredible clout and are Microsoft's one big shot at taking the smartphone market, so I'd be shocked if Nokia's customisations of WP7 weren't substantial.

Hands0n
18th February 2011, 08:03 PM
I'm left wondering if the changes that Nokia introduce will be 'back ported' to the rest of the WP7 manufacturers or if Nokia will hold on to it for themselves.

Ben
20th February 2011, 11:15 AM
I can imagine a two-tiered existence of Windows Phone; one version that feels very fleshed out that's just used by Nokia and another, far more basic one, that other manufacturers get.

Ultimately it's hard to see any other manufacturers making an effort with Windows Phone now. It'll be seen as the Nokia platform and their power over Microsoft's development of Windows Phone should deter anyone else from making a serious investment. Better stick to Android and each manufacturer's own customisations to provide differentiation.

miffed
20th February 2011, 01:14 PM
To be honest I envisage the total opposite of what you just said

When have Nokia ever supplied even adequate specs ? let alone optimal ! IMO their ethos has always been to supply as little spec as they can get away with.

I suspect that Nokia will supply excelllent build quality , but will onlymeet the minimum specs ,( as they have no choice but to) - Leaving the likes of HTC / Samsung / LG etc to produce the real "flagship" devices of WP7

Ben
20th February 2011, 02:47 PM
Hold your horses there, miffed ;) Where do specs come into this?

I think I get what you're saying re: other manufacturers putting together higher spec kit, but I can't imagine Microsoft working with any of them to the extent it will work with Nokia to customise Windows Phone.