View Full Version : Windows Phone 7 'brick' update saga continues

Ben
24th February 2011, 12:46 PM
Now as many as 1 in 10 updates failing: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-12564651

Quite ridiculous. Clearly there has been a massive lack of foresight in the development of the update mechanism, especially if the reasons for failure can be as simple as poor connectivity at the time (why the hell aren't they validating the install package before using it??) or not enough free space on the device (again, why on Earth would you start installing a package before checking there's enough space?).

I know WP7 is new but damn!

miffed
24th February 2011, 12:50 PM
:( oh dear ....

Ben
24th February 2011, 06:14 PM
Ha, yes, I think that's about all there is to say. The kicker is that this isn't even a real update, it's a little jobbie ahead of the proper one later this year. Oh well, hopefully they'll iron out the wrinkles quickly.

I suppose MS don't have much experience of OTA updates from its Windows Mobile line... I remember my iPAQ updates used to come on CD!

Hands0n
24th February 2011, 09:30 PM
Giving Microsoft the benefit of the doubt, I reckon that the newness of it all has got their developers being a bit overconfident. But then again, I do not recall Apple or Google cocking OTA up quite so spectacularly. Even the amateur developers have never got either iOS or Android as wrong as Microsoft has with WP7. But, bless them, they are the new kids on the OTA block ... so perhaps we should let them have this one. Unless, that is, you are one of the Samsung Omnia 7 owners who are now having to convince Three's off-shore Customer Services that your handset is bricked by the OTA and wiping the SIM with a dry cloth is not going to make a jotsworth of difference.

Ben
24th February 2011, 10:54 PM
Unless, that is, you are one of the Samsung Omnia 7 owners who are now having to convince Three's off-shore Customer Services that your handset is bricked by the OTA and wiping the SIM with a dry cloth is not going to make a jotsworth of difference.
Haha, so true! And therein lies the problem. I'd imagine there are some heated back-room discussions taking place between MS and Samsung about who will foot the bill for all the replacements.

Btw, have you seen the MS error message? Bangs on about the handset not being able to be restored and there being no restore points (lmao) on the computer. It all sounds so Windows.