View Full Version : Manually Update Your Google Nexus One or Nexus S to Android 2.3.3

Hands0n
24th February 2011, 10:33 PM
The news is out, Google have released Android 2.3.3 (Gingerbread) for the Nexus One, also an update from 2.3.1 on the Nexus S to 2.3.3 GRI40. The OTA is supposed to be available across the world over the next couple of weeks. That is an excruciatingly long time in anyone's book. I usually don't bother waiting it out - and this time is no exception.

Recently posted on The Android Site, and updated by me, here are the details for manually updating both handsets

Edit: Nexus S owners - Please be careful to select the correct update file for your device

The Android 2.3.3 update is now rolling out to Nexus One and Nexus S phones, and Google says it may take “a couple weeks”. We all know that’s too long to wait, so here’s how to update your phone manually.

Grab the update you need:

Nexus S Android 2.3.3 from 2.3.1 (GRH78) update (http://android.clients.google.com/packages/ota/google_crespo/e0b546c442bf.signed-soju-GRI40-from-GRH78.e0b546c4.zip)
Nexus S Android 2.3.3 from 2.3.2 (GRH78C) (http://android.clients.google.com/packages/ota/google_crespo/98f3836cef9e.signed-soju-GRI40-from-GRH78C.98f3836c.zip)
Nexus One Android 2.3.3 update (http://android.clients.google.com/packages/ota/passion/81304b2de707.signed-passion-GRI40-from-FRG83G.81304b2d.zip)

Rename the zip file to “update.zip” (no quotes obviously, and be careful if you have file extensions hidden you just need to name the file “update”). Side note: Nexus S users can actually skip this step, as the NS can flash any file.
Copy the update file to your SD card (Nexus One) or internal storage (Nexus S)
Turn off your device.
While holding the volume DOWN button (Nexus One), or volume UP button (Nexus S), turn on your device.
Press volume down to highlight “Recovery” then press the power button to select it.
When you see the triangle with the exclamation point, press Volume Up and the power button together (may take a few tries.)
Nexus One: use trackball to highlight and select “apply sdcard:update.zip”. Nexus S choose “apply update from /sdcard” then select the update file.
Let the update install and then reboot.

Source: http://theandroidsite.com/2011/02/24/how-to-manually-update-your-nexus-one-or-nexus-s-to-android-2-3-3/

Now go and enjoy that lovely Gingerbread goodness :cool:

NB: If the above links go off-line for any reason please feedback here and I'll get the files popped up elsewhere, more permanent. Google have a habit of taking stuff down or moving it around.

colin25
1st March 2011, 05:30 PM
thanks for this...i had a feeling you would have the update...makes me lazy to wait :)

I would be interested in what others think of gingerbread (the operating system, not the biscuit :) )

initial impression, loving the enhanced system lock touch screen password...feels good. Will feedback more after a couple of days use

I was going to buy nexus S, but didn't think it was much of an upgrade to nexus one, and i like the feel of the one (touchy sort of guy, with phones lol)

Hands0n
2nd March 2011, 07:19 PM
You're wecome :) No point waiting for the OTA unnecessarily if Google are kind enough to put the binaries out for download.

I quite like Gingerbread - had it on the Nexus S from the off, of course. It is tidier and faster than Froyo and so a definite improvement. Although how much of that is due to the Nexus S hardware is unclear. Now that I have Gingerbread on the Nexus One the answer is clear, that Android 2.3.3 is a definite update that improves performance.

To digress slightly - I really like the Nexus One and miss the dual-mic noise cancellation that is built into the handset and omitted from the Nexus S. A serious omission in my opinion. I was demonstrating it in my front room the other day, I had called another handset from the Nexus One and with the TV on in the room it was obvious how very well the noise cancellation worked. Listening to the call on the other handset you could not hear the TV at all. Yet when listening on the Nexus One it was so obvious that all and any background sounds coming in to the other handset were being clearly and faithfully transmitted to the Nexus One. It really is that stark a difference. And of course the Nexus S has no such noise cancellation and is as susceptible to background noise as is any other handset in creation.

Side by side, using Gingerbread, the Nexus One and the Nexus S perform very similarly, it really is that hard to see the difference.

colin25
3rd March 2011, 04:26 PM
having had it a couple of days..i like gingerbread.

The power management seems better, but will only really know that after a longer period.

It actually feels like a new phone. Certainly feels faster.

i like the new layout for the keyboard...once i put comma on main keyboard. Amusingly, moving the speech key has helped too, the number of times i accidentally hit that key was annoying.

Overall, it is a good update.

And I'm going to keep using this phone, until a better one comes along, and I just don't see nexus S as an upgrade.