View Full Version : Personal Hotspot at Vodafone's discretion?

Ben
16th March 2011, 10:23 AM
When I upgraded to iOS 4.3 on my iPhone 4 I had a Personal Hotspot option. Great, I thought. Then I turned it on and to my astonishment it did something and then totally vanished as if the setting was never included in the OS!

I asked Vodafone on twitter and they said they had no knowledge of the issue, but it seems clear that they removed the option when they detected I wasn't paying for tethering? A little reminder that the mobile networks aren't entirely Apple's bitch.

But I know other people, albeit on different tariffs, who can use the feature without requesting tethering from Vodafone. And now data tariffs are so restricted, why not allow this sort of usage anyway?

Anyone got any thoughts? It seems so bizarre that the feature would, apparently, remove itself entirely! Not even a note telling me I needed to buy something. Humph.

miffed
16th March 2011, 07:04 PM
iOS appears to be quite clever (or annoying , depending on your viewpoint) WRT this stuff - I recall when MMS was first introduced , it seemed that if there was not a working configuration of MMS settings , the little camera icon simply wouldn't appear on the messaging screen - which is better than the conventional way ..where the services appear available , but you wonder why they don't work !

LOL @ Vodafone with "their" data ... they remind me of my dog with his favourite toy :D

DBMandrake
17th March 2011, 12:38 AM
"Personal Hotspot" is exactly the same as "Internet Tethering" in previous iOS releases. It uses the same Tethering APN as before. Apple just added the option to share across Wifi and renamed it.

(In fact on the 3GS "Personal Hotspot" still only supports USB and Bluetooth, so is somewhat poorly named...)

The carriers have always had control over Tethering settings on the phone by way of the carrier settings bundle, they can set the Tethering APN separately from the handset data APN, choose to hide this setting from editing or not, or choose to disable Tethering completely. If the Tethering APN fails to connect at the network end, the Tethering option will disappear in the Settings App - this was exactly the same in previous iOS releases. If it's due to a transient network error you'll have to reboot the phone for the option to appear again.

My Vodafone SIM is Pay&Go so I can't test Personal Hotspot on it - the APN's are all pre-configured for contract customers (having separate APN's for contract and Pay&Go is a brain dead idea in itself, but that's another story) and need to be manually edited for Pay&Go, but the Tethering APN is not visible to edit, thus no Tethering / Personal Hotspot for Vodafone Pay&Go iPhone customers...

Of course on my Three SIM it just works, although since it's a 3GS I don't get the Wifi aspect of "Personal Hotspot", so apart from a new name I have exactly the same functionality as the previous release! :p

Ben
17th March 2011, 12:42 PM
Think I should call them? I have no interest in paying extra...

DBMandrake
17th March 2011, 12:50 PM
Were you using Tethering on Vodafone in previous iOS versions though ? I think Vodafone have always charged extra for Tethering, so if you weren't using it before now you've only just discovered how things have always been.

With the new iOS 4.3 update, new versions of the carrier settings bundles also ship with it, so it's possible Vodafone may have made changes to the policies in their carrier settings bundle.

The carrier settings bundle can also control the maximum number of simultaneous client connections over Wifi for the Personal Hotspot feature - as it could with the Bluetooth tethering in previous iOS versions. (It's not generally known that Bluetooth Tethering supported multiple clients at once, if the carrier bundle allowed it...)

Ben
17th March 2011, 12:56 PM
No, I wasn't, but a friend who also doesn't pay for tethering seems to have a functional Personal Hotspot, which is rather infuriating! Perhaps it's just allowed on their tariff; mine is an iPhone SIM Only plan that has since been grandfathered.

I wonder if the carrier settings files can be manually installed... I remember on my jailbroken, unlocked iPhone 3G I installed one that gave it the correct settings and a nicer Vodafone logo...

miffed
17th March 2011, 01:45 PM
Just tried it on 3 , and as with most things iPhone , it simply works with the minimum of fuss !
I had previously used Joikuspot on the N900 , and the hotspot function of Froyo , and both were horrble , clunky experiences , where you see everything clunking and whirring ... then you get an error message saying that it didn't work for some reason ..... then you get a connection that is supposed;y working , but with no actual internet working so you give up :D

No , this was simple and smooth , simply click "on" connect and enter password - job done !

I had previously used BT tethering , and from what I gather Three don't charge extra for tethering per se , but if you go over your allowance you are subject to the out of bundle rates as you would had you used the data on your handset.

Hands0n
17th March 2011, 08:50 PM
@Ben - Vodafone state that if you invoke Tethering on their APN that they will automatically charge you the £5 additional on your monthly bill for doing so. There was a protracted conversation on their forum ages ago. And it is reignited by the latest iOS because, rightly so, iPhone users are complaining that Android users do not get charged additional for Tethering, which they don't. I do not understand how Vodafone let themselves get into such a ridiculous state. It is, in effect, a purely two-tier smartphone arrangement. iPhone users coming off the worst.

This is one of those "Just because you can doesn't mean that you should" situations. With the iPhone Vodafone can control Tethering and so they do, by price. But they cannot exercise any control whatsoever over Android (and other) smartphone Tethering.

Me? If I need to Tether I either use my Android on Vodafone or my Android on Three. That is where I don't have my MiFi. If Vodafone want to make it expensive for me to do this then I will go elsewhere.

@Miffed - LOL, you have got to be the unluckiest Vodafone user I have ever encountered. Mate, I don't know how you do it. You are your very own Nexus of Vodafone Evil :D

BTW, did you ever shift that WP7? I've got this strange urge to take it off your hands if you've still got it :)

DBMandrake
18th March 2011, 10:30 AM
No, I wasn't, but a friend who also doesn't pay for tethering seems to have a functional Personal Hotspot, which is rather infuriating! Perhaps it's just allowed on their tariff; mine is an iPhone SIM Only plan that has since been grandfathered.

I would say that it's the different tariff, yes. Your tariff probably doesn't have access to the Tethering APN Vodafone configure for the iPhone. (Don't know what it is off hand, without digging into the carrier settings bundle)

I wonder if the carrier settings files can be manually installed... I remember on my jailbroken, unlocked iPhone 3G I installed one that gave it the correct settings and a nicer Vodafone logo...
Unfortunately those days are long past :(

Up until 3.1.3 I used to maintain an (unofficial) carrier settings bundle for Three, so I have a pretty good understanding of the workings of carrier bundles, and in iOS 4.0 Apple started cryptographically signing the entire carrier settings bundle with their private key, so it is now impossible to upload any customized carrier settings bundle without jailbreaking and applying a Comm centre patch to remove the signing check. (I'm not even sure if anyone is still releasing Comm Centre patches to do this as it has to be re-done for each and every release...)

Unfortunately your practical choices are probably either pay up, switch tariffs, or switch networks! ;)

It couldn't hurt to give Vodafone a call and query them about why you can't get tethering though, perhaps there is something they could just flip over on your account settings...

Ben
18th March 2011, 11:43 AM
The thought of calling them, or any corporation these days, fills me with actual dread.

Think I'll email and see what happens!

DBMandrake
18th March 2011, 12:27 PM
No disagreement there! :D

Ben
18th March 2011, 05:28 PM
I lack the words in my vocabulary to express my reaction.

Hello Mr. Fitter,

It seems that the network for Wi-Fi is weak and this is the reason the option of the hotspot disappears from your phone.

To resolve this, I request you to go to Wi-Fi that has good network. Once you are connected, you will need to enter the User name and password of your online account to access.

Kind Regards,

Sabir
Customer Services Assistant
Shared Services

DBMandrake
18th March 2011, 05:40 PM
ROTFL :D

Are you sure you didn't contact Three CS by mistake ;)

I'm guessing he thinks you're trying to access BT Openzone / Cloud or something ? (I assume Vodafone has a BT Openzone/Cloud partnership ?)

If it was a comedy sketch it would be funny, if it was serious tech support it most certainly isn't...

Ben
18th March 2011, 07:00 PM
I think, just maybe, the term "Personal Hotspot" hasn't filtered down into tech support's on-screen scripts just yet! Nor the Twitter team's, for that matter.

I've replied clarifying what I was asking for (I was rather clear the first time, Scouts honour). Ho hum.

Hands0n
18th March 2011, 09:46 PM
Ah, the joys of off-shore outsourcing. Those who do not learn from others' mistakes are destined to repeat them.

miffed
18th March 2011, 10:23 PM
I absolutely love that !

For me , "I request you to go to Wi-Fi that has good network." will go down memorable quotes like with "Wipe the SIM with a soft cloth" and "our customers don't want to access the internet on their phones"

Pure class !

Hands0n
18th March 2011, 10:30 PM
Oh my giddy aunt! I don't suppose a certain Mr Bob Fuller is working at Vodafone?

Really, I can't see the point of Internet on a mobile phone, smart or otherwise. The only reason I use it is because it is there. Dear old Bob was completely bang on. No one actually wants mobile Internet.

Ben
19th March 2011, 02:30 AM
Funnily enough miffed's quote really does sum up how I feel about Vodafone these days. The wheels have really come off the wagon since Sarin left.

The only thing that can redeem them in my eyes is 3G900. Under Sarin, Vodafone would have been first with this. Instead what happens? O2!

Ben
19th March 2011, 07:32 PM
After one of these:

I am sorry for the inconvenience caused to you.

I request you to kindly call our Technical team on 08700700191 and they will assist you regarding your concern.
Followed by a prompt 'no, I don't think so' from me, I got this:

I confirm you need to add tethering service and service code is APN_IPT

This service cannot be added to your current plan as it is not compatible with it.

If you still wish to add the service then I need to change priceplan please get back to me with confirmation to assist you further.

Trust this helps.

I've also attached a short customer feedback questionnaire and would really appreciate your thoughts to help us improve our service and I can assure you, this will be treated in confidence.
Are they actually fishing for bad feedback, there? I think I'll keep my legacy SIM-Only iPhone plan, thanks! *rolleyes*

gorilla
20th March 2011, 01:43 PM
There is something weird with personal hotspot. My GF has iPhone 4 running 4.3 and hotspot doesn't work with her 3 sim, well my iPad doesn't see the network it creates (haven't tested other devices).
I on the other hand have been happily tethering my Desire with laptops and iPads both on 3 and now giff gaff. I must point out that it's not serious tethering, 5 minutes here 10 minutes there, but it works great. I've not had miffed's problems, although I am running 2.3.3.
Vodafone really do seem to be taking the piss and in my opinion are doing nothing more than profiteering from their customers. I know that's their right, but it will be a while before they get me back on their network!

Ben
20th March 2011, 03:51 PM
Apple have a page comparing iPad tariffs on their website. Vodafone are by far the most expensive! If their network was as 'leading' as I used to find it then I could understand it, but I've had nothing good to say about them lately.

I'm in the process of moving data connections over to Three Business.