View Full Version : More Walled Garden Rumours

3GScottishUser
22nd June 2005, 12:05 PM
From Mobile Today (22/06/2005):

3 is considering dropping its restrictive walled garden approach to internet access to allow customers access to the web, Mobile has learned.

This would mark a significant detour from the company’s current controlled approach to content access and could pave the way for 3 to become a player in the business data market.

[...]

Ahead of any move to open up internet access, 3 is understood to be looking at ways of increasing the number of partner sites offering premium content. 3 would not disclose whether it had plans to offer broader internet access.

A spokesman said: ‘We’re constantly reviewing our services for customers – at the moment we believe we’ve got the most exciting range of video mobile services.’

Full Story (http://www.mobiletoday.co.uk/artman-test/publish/article_480.shtml)

gorilla
22nd June 2005, 12:17 PM
At this rate 3 will have lost any advantage it has over its competitors if and when it ever launches full net access.
I wonder how difficult it would be for them to just offer pop3 email access? So for instance I could send and receive mail through gmail.

Jon3G
22nd June 2005, 12:22 PM
its simply a case of opening up the port

chaslam
22nd June 2005, 01:19 PM
I really thought that they would open it when the other networks launched but they are obviously being very stubborn and not budging. They are definetly going to lose alot of customers over this, esspecially business customers.

bsrjl1
22nd June 2005, 01:41 PM
I don't usually believe anything speculative that Mobile News 'reports'. But I think now that more people are requesting it, opening the gate would possibly reduce churn to other networks?

Hands0n
22nd June 2005, 06:12 PM
Maybe. Much will depend on how much and how they charge for data access. Then there is the issue with getting support during those troublesome periods that occur occasionally. Three are not well famed for being able to deal with these!

I'd have liked to been able to gain Internet access via my Three contract handset - using it as a modem for my PDA and Laptop. Instead I have had to make continued expense in my other supplier.

"...at the moment we believe we’ve got the most exciting range of video mobile services"

This is some kind of joke? Right? Smacks of The Emperors Clothes!

3g-g
22nd June 2005, 11:41 PM
Although 3 don't offer open net access they still have the highest spend of "in house" product, i.e. their own content, well it wouldn't really be difficult to get those kind of figures would it if you don't allow people to go anywhere else? If 3 were to allow full internet access and keep their low low pricing policy I think they'd be onto a winner, however, on their last few data-centric offerings (BB6 & horse racing at 75ppm and £1ppm respectively) I can't see them making the net cheap for users of the only "pure" 3G network.

skoov
24th June 2005, 06:53 PM
Hi,

I hope Three are planning to get rid of the walled garden :)

I emailed them to ask why they don't allow access, having just bought a phone on Three and got the following response:

"The use of open internet access on your 3 handset is not something that 3 have ever offered or advertised as being available. The decision was made at the time of 3's launch not to provide this service.

However, this is something we are currently trailing with limited web sites and may introduce this in the near future. I would recommend that you visit our website www.three.co.uk as any change to our service will be advertised there."

If anyone's interested, I've set up a website to collect petition signatures to send to Three: www.3gardenwall.co.uk (http://www.3gardenwall.co.uk)

Cheers

Skoov

Ben
24th June 2005, 06:55 PM
Hi Skoov, welcome to talk3G!

That's a great idea for a website - the pressure definitely needs to be kept on, and it's sites like that which bring issues like restricted data access to peoples attention.

skoov
24th June 2005, 07:04 PM
Hi Ben,

Thanks a lot mate :)

Let's hope a few more people share our views and get signing ;)

Skoov

Hands0n
24th June 2005, 08:29 PM
I signed. Like skoov I made my personal representations to 3 earlier this year - although I knew full well that the walled garden existed before I signed up for the contract. The response was similar to that he received. Months go on and nothing changes. They'll only give us unfettered Internet access while kicking and screaming all the way there.

This has been a very clear policy decision for the UK by 3. Some of their other national locations have full Internet access. I personally think that 3 feel they have a market to tap in the UK, that we will buy whatever content they supply unlike other countries which will be more resistant to such constrictive practises. Maybe we will, maybe we won't. The lack of full Internet access is going to be a key reason for me abandoning my 3 contract come January 2006 unless some miracle happens [well] before then, 6680 or no 6680!

That's just me though, and I'm not for one moment suggesting that I'm representative of the whole majority of 3's customer base.

Interesting aside - I had 20 mins to waste at Canary Wharf last Monday and took time out to observe what handsets people had pressed to their heads as they walked through the centre. Purely unscientifically but I'd say that over 50% had 3 handsets, most of them being LG U81xx series!!

Hands0n
24th June 2005, 08:30 PM
@skoov - I reckon you'll get a "representation" from 3's legal folk about the use of their iconic characters on your website. Be ready for it if it comes.

Welcome to our notwork. :D

Ben
24th June 2005, 09:35 PM
@skoov - I reckon you'll get a "representation" from 3's legal folk about the use of their iconic characters on your website. Be ready for it if it comes.

Welcome to our notwork. :D
You may wish to ensure your host is abroad and think carefully about what information you provide on your domain record. Don't crumble like many sites before you have :)

skoov
24th June 2005, 10:11 PM
Hey guys,

Yeah, I've uploaded a temp version of the artwork now so shouldn't be a problem :)

I drew the characters in illustrator and they're not exactly the same, but am going to change them a bit more anyhow later to avoid any possible conflict :rolleyes:

Cheers for the support!!

Skoov