View Full Version : Giff Gaff's not for me!

gorilla
3rd April 2011, 09:21 PM
Well, as I've pointed out on here previously, I left three (for no reason) to try giff gaff. I was inspired by other users who liked the product and who had noticed improvements with the O2 network, so I thought, why not?

Firstly, let me just say that applying for the sim, setting the sim up and adding credit was all really easy and giff gaff should be complimented on this aspect of their service.

However, (here comes the but) as Solo12002 stated, O2 in Belfast and Northern Ireland is a joke and I was playing with fire.

Initially I noticed a better reception at work compared to three, but over the last few weeks I've noticed prolonged periods when I have no reception. None at all (no phone or data). I have never experienced that before (well not that I can remember). There seems to be certain parts of my building which is an O2 blackspot and the HTC Desire struggles to lock onto either 2g or 3g. This causes battery drain, but more crucially a lack of data connectivity.
If anyone is in any doubt about how much we have come to rely on mobile data, then I challenge you to turn data off on your phone for a day. Go on, I dare you ;)

At home, I seem to live in another dodgy O2 area, but I can lock onto 2g and make and receive calls fine, so I'm ok with that.

What has finally convinced me to leave giff gaff is that the O2 network seems so sparse that if I'm out and about there is no guarantee that anyone will be able to contact me. In Belfast city centre I find myself literally holding the phone up in the air and waving it about (that does nothing btw!) in the hope that it will miraculously find a network, and (fingers crossed) 3g. But alas, nothing reliable is found.

So when I use up all my credit (which will probably take 2 months!) I will be switching networks.

I don't want to give the impression that I am bitter (I am not) and I genuinely like the giff gaff idea, but unfortunately O2 (in my experience) is not a very reliable network.

So what's next? I suspect I'll go back to a sim only deal on three, but if a decent handset comes out in April I might even jump back onto a contract - if the price is right.

Ben
4th April 2011, 11:16 AM
Thanks for sharing that experience, it really does sound as if O2 have let you down. My experience of O2 in Canterbury was better than you describe, but not by much!

My Nexus One detests having no signal and rapidly flattens it's battery, certainly quicker than any other handset I've owned. I wonder if that's an Android thing? That said, my iPhones have never been much better if they're left searching - I used to activate airplane mode on the tube!

Looks like you're set for a fun few months...

gorilla
4th April 2011, 11:38 AM
I'm keeping my eye on the Desire S which three will be stocking soon, or I might buy it sim free (e.g Amazon are selling it for £399). It's just the thought of a long term contract.

Other than that there isn't a handset that interests me. I don't think I can go back to the iPhone (not while I have an iPad) and I really like Android. I know the Desire S isn't a big update, but I like my Desire and who knows, I might just keep it for a while longer.

solo12002
4th April 2011, 05:39 PM
Chris

thanks for sharing that. I tottally agree with you I did not/have not a problem with giffgaff, in fact for £15 you get 400 mins, unlimted texts and internet and calls out of that 8p. The problem as we have pointed out is that giffgaff is owned and runs on the o2 network.

In part sof bangor and ards I get full 3g inothers its down to grps not even edge. Last week i went to edinburgh for 4 days in the holiday inn express in leith, i had full 3g, head into city centre i ended up with mostly gprs odd bit of edge. Went to newcastle upon tyne for the day on route there from edinburg and to metro centre and in centre of newcasltle i ened up with mostly grps, in facrt it was that dam slow i could not down load a video.

Im not sure were the o2 3g network is but im fcuked if i can find it in most places i go. The other think with o2 is they have incresed line rental and top ups due to VAT so the £15 top up is now £15.50 smart move shame you cant buy a £15 top up only £20 the internet blot on went from £5 to £6 for 50mb on top of which there out of budle call charges have gone from 20ppm to a wopping 35ppm so one has to ask what vaule does o2 currently offer.

On the other hand i currently have the £25 one plan sim deal, 2000 mins, 5000 texts and 5000 3 to 3 calls and real unlimted data.