View Full Version : iPad 2 experiences

Ben
14th April 2011, 10:53 AM
Well, iPad 2 is here, in the sense that mine has now arrived!

It actually showed up on Tuesday, and I christened it by taking it to a Kylie Minogue concert. Standing. Probably not the best idea in the world, but it came out of the ordeal unscathed and I got plenty of use out of it on the various trains in and out of London.

I'm going to start by saying the weight saving has made a big difference. Yes it's noticeable in the hand, but I was surprised to find I could feel the difference with it in my bag. It's the thinness that makes the bigger difference in the hand, probably in part because I don't have that bulky case that Apple sold for the original iPad on anymore, and I'm loving handling the thing with it's Smart Cover on.

I'm writing this on iPad 2 now and I'm pleased to report that even with multiple pages open in Safari there's no refreshing and no lag when typing. In fact, typing feels very sharp, but then I've always been speedy on the iPad in landscape mode. I only really use portrait for browsing and reading, but being able to do that is one of the key features of owning a tablet. Portrait Internet is really, really nice.

On to a niggle. The positioning of the volume control on the now-tapered edge of iPad 2 means that when propping it up on that side it's easy to trigger a volume reduction. The mute switch essentially shields the volume-up button, but it's annoying when tilting the iPad 2 towards you to watch a video to find the volume suddenly plummet. I'm quickly adapting to picking it up instead. The Smart Cover also props up the iPad 2 in landscape mode at a shallower angle than it's clumsy predecessor, so I feel like I'm 'looking over' iPad 2 more when using it in this way. The great viewing angles really make this unnecessary, another habit I'm sure I'll get out of.

Another thing of note - battery life seems a little less to me. Ok, I'm using iPad 2 a lot, and I also have 3G now (though it's off at the moment), but I'm already on 86% after taking it off charge about 2 hours ago and using it constantly for browsing, Twitter, T3 etc. Funnily enough, by my calculations that works out at 14 hours usage... which sounds awesome... so I think the battery perception is largely due to the fact that I haven't been able to stop iPadding!

Why is 3G off? I get no coverage on Three at home, so I think that really was draining the battery. But when it's on the iPad 2 really seems to get coverage everywhere it possibly can, and so far it has always been fast and reliable. Holding my iPhone 4 on Vodafone next to it I've been shocked at just how much better the iPad 2/Three combo is in every way. If you want data, go with Three. I didn't have 3G in my first iPad, using a MiFi instead. While certainly a luxury, if you can stretch to a 3G iPad you won't regret it.

Side-by-side the iPad 2's screen is a little nicer than the original iPad in as much as it appears to be a little brighter and less yellow. All iPad screens are beautiful, though, so it's not a major compliment.

Less of an issue than some reviewers will lead you to believe is the positioning of dock connector and headphone socket. Yes, they're on the curved edges, and as such they don't 'fit' like they would on a flat surface, but this doesn't bother me in the slightest.

I'd also read about some people not liking how text looks on iPad 2. I have no such concerns, it's indeterminate to me.

A bit of case advice - to get the full benefit of iPad 2 don't wrap it in a case. Get a Smart Cover and a generously sized slip case or sleeve; you'll need one of the latter so that you can chuck iPad 2 in your bag if you're not planning on carrying it around.

I'll add more experiences here, and I hope you will, too. For now, all I can summise from my experience is that iPad 2 is the first tablet ready for primetime. As Honeycomb is still immature this is likely to remain the case for some time. If you have the means, and would like to experience a whole new way of computing, an iPad 2 should be on your shopping list.

Hands0n
15th April 2011, 07:06 PM
I absolutely agree that the iPad 2 needs some kind of extra protection for travelling around in. And for that I have ordered from eBay one of these http://tinyurl.com/67b6kn9 Cheap and cheerful, it will suffice to give that little bit of anti-scratch protection of the iPad 2 when on the move. Otherwise, around the home, the Smart Cover is absolutely fine.

I also picked up the 3G+WiFi model, from the Three store in Bluewater, the day after launch in the UK. Rather than queue I strolled in, had a word, handed over my plastic and walked out with a Black 32GB model. Of course, any regular visitors to Talk3G will know that I was not particularly fussed about getting one of these. But having spent a little time with one I was fairly convinced.

The experience of Three's 3G/HSPA network alongside the mighty Vodafone's is a tale of David and Goliath. Three win out almost everywhere I go, and this mirrors the experience I have had with their mobile phone 30-day SIM and the MiFi. I have even, on many occasions, had to "slipstream" the iPhone (Vodafone) across WiFi through the MiFi or tethering to the Nexus S WiFi hotspot to be able to use it on the Internet. How ridiculous is that? Three's network really has got it sussed, where it is available, which is pretty much everywhere I have had to go for the past 12 months. And so the network is a perfect companion to the iPad 2.

Any difference between the iPad and the iPad 2? Some, not a stonking great one, but definitely performance is on the up. I would equate the experience rather like going from the iPhone 3G to the iPhone 3GS - everything is just that significant bit quicker and slicker. Particularly with the browser, using the web is delightful.

I still think that, overall, the iPad 2 is a fairly minor update on the original. But if asked if it has been worth it I would have to give a thumbs up to that, yes it has been very worthwhile given the kind of use I make of it.

Ben
17th April 2011, 01:16 AM
It's funny, it's sort-of a minor update... yet it has twice the CPU grunt, 9x the graphics, 2x the RAM, and all in a thinner, lighter package. Throw in Smart Covers, which I've decided to become obsessed with, and the whole concept has received a major overhaul.

iPad 2 just feels so right. I don't have to try to use it, it's instinctive. Favourite gadget ever.

Ben
18th April 2011, 02:07 PM
For the first time I actually picked up Three coverage outside my house at the weekend! Usable, too, the first time I've ever got usable 3G there on any network. This was rather handy as the satellite connection has died again.

The iPad 2 certainly excels at getting signal.

On a separate note, my red Smart Cover came today. The leather is a bit of a surprise at first, coming from the cheaper version, but it's rapidly growing on me. I think it'll rapidly scuff and probably look scruffy after a bit, but this could be a really nice thing... for the moment I'll be using my slip case to keep it pristine-ish :)

Is anyone else tending to put their iPad 2 face-down when they're not using it? I'd rather the Smart Cover take the scratches than the back.

Hands0n
18th April 2011, 08:09 PM
The iPad 2 certainly does seem to pull in the signal. I have yet to be without a signal anywhere I typically go, be it indoors or out. Three's coverage, certainly down in the South East, is wall to wall and tree top tall - to use an old CB expression. Even when we went to Wales it was everywhere we travelled to, even in the valleys.

I have the black Smart Cover and have not thought to place the device face down. Although I have been wary of the surface that I put it down on so as not to scratch the aluminium back cover. I have a slip on case coming from HK via eBay some time soon and it will live in that when not used. Certainly for travelling also. The Smart Cover will fit inside the slip on too.

Ben
18th April 2011, 08:39 PM
One thing about the leather - it does seem a little heavier, as one might expect, and so the magnetism isn't quite as strong when folded in some ways. It's fine, and looks great, but the polyurethane ones are a little more practical I think.

Now, what colour Smart Cover to get next...? ;)

olve
25th April 2011, 12:46 PM
I am looking for the cheap iPad 2....i am very impressed with this new iPad and its better than the original one...is there any deal to have it at cheap?????...

Hands0n
25th April 2011, 01:51 PM
@Olve - if you want to buy the iPad 2 outright there do not seem to be any particularly big deals. Apple do tend to control their retail pricing very tightly.

However, if you want to pay over a period of time, and want a 3G network to go with it then I can suggest Three who were offering a £40 discount in store for existing customers (even PAYG I did read).

But I think you will be disappointed if you are looking for some great bargain. They are in short supply so there is no incentive for discounting, even within Apple's strict limits.

paulbds
25th April 2011, 09:44 PM
You could possibly get a 10% discount at Comet with an NHS ID or apply for the Comet Public Sector Discount card. I usually get 10% off at my local Comet store in Bangor, N Wales.
Paul

gorilla
30th April 2011, 03:49 PM
I've got a scratch on my iPad 2's screen! No idea how it could have gotten there, but I can only assume it has happened while I've been cleaning the screen.
So I book an appointment with the Genius bar at the Belfast Apple store.

So before going in I did some research and found that scratched iPad 2 screens are quite rare. There are many supposed fixes but none that I'm willing to risk (before going to the Apple store).
I had my appointment this afternoon and the genius offered to replace the screen under warranty. I had to agree that I had caused the scratch and thus any future damage would have to be paid for.
I'm not convinced I caused the scratch, after all like many of you on here, I take very good care of my gadgets and iPad screens are supposed to be very hard wearing.
I do wonder if the Smart Cover has anything to do with it. After using it for a couple of weeks, I'm not overly happy with it. It's practically useless as a stand and while it might protect the screen, I wonder if it somehow caused the scratch!

Anyway, to cut a long story short, Apple have once again demonstrated superior customer service. I didn't even have to suggest that the iPad be replaced under warranty. In fact the genius did most of the talking. Naturally they didn't have any in stock, so I'll be getting a replacement iPad in the near future.

Do any of you use a screen protector and do you think I should buy one? In the past I have used a couple, but always thought they interfered with the responsiveness of the screen and to be honest, never thought I would need one.

Hands0n
30th April 2011, 07:24 PM
So sorry to read about this but I am not altogether surprised. That is a lot of glass on the iPad so it is probably easy to get a bit of grit caught up in a cleaning cloth to gather up a whole lot of speed through the cleaning action and cause a scratch. Particularly if you are applying any kind of pressure on the cloth.

I am bothered by the fabric cover on the "inside" of the Smart Cover. It does work out to be a bit of a magnet for anything that is lying under the iPad when it is in use - and therefore the cloth backing is on whatever surface you're using it on. I am forever flicking bits off it before closing the lid. And with the cleaning.

I have a screen protector included with a neoprene slip-on that I bought of eBay recently but I haven't fitted it. I tend not to like those because they get tatty very quickly and make the iPad look a bit of a disgrace. So no, I don't use them.

blush
1st May 2011, 08:21 PM
I've got a scratch on my iPad 2's screen! No idea how it could have gotten there, but I can only assume it has happened while I've been cleaning the screen.
So I book an appointment with the Genius bar at the Belfast Apple store.

So before going in I did some research and found that scratched iPad 2 screens are quite rare.

I can relate to this, after only a few weeks I found quite a long scratch across my screen. The scratch is not very deep and you have to look at the screen at a certain angle to see it. I thought I was being ultra careful but a bit of grit must have got in somewhere. I have been using a smart cover and now too find the cover pretty useless and more of a hinderance. I keep removing little bits of dirt from the fluffy inside.

I love the iPad 2 and have just come to terms with the scratch, as hands0n says it's a big old chunk of glass and as all input is by touch it's bound to happen.

gorilla
6th May 2011, 10:23 AM
I received my replacement iPad 2 yesterday which looked to be brand new and not a refurb. This was probably my best experience to date in an Apple store - I was in and out in 5 minutes!
Just so you know, a screen repair would normally cost £199 (inc VAT) so as you can imagine I'm pleased that I got it for free!
I'm all paranoid now about looking after the screen though and I might even stump for a screen protector even though I hate them.

To get back on track with this thread, the replacement iPad didn't take very long to restore my data and update to 4.3.3, maybe 30 minutes.

Hands0n
6th May 2011, 02:25 PM
Nice one :) Apple post sales does take some beating. I have never been disappointed. And i do think you struck amazingly lucky.

Ben
6th May 2011, 04:56 PM
You can't put a screen protector over an Apple touchscreen :( such a waste!

Not that scratches are much better! :)

I keep about 4 pages open in Safari, but I'm noticing that when I go back to some of them, sometimes after days to be fair, they're reloading. I also think some of my app crashing woes are memory related.

Steve, listen up, MORE RAM. iPad 2 should've had 1GB.

DBMandrake
9th May 2011, 02:23 AM
You can't put a screen protector over an Apple touchscreen :( such a waste!

I've always had clear film screen protectors on my iPhones... they're hard to apply dust and bubble free but when you do you really can't see them, (at least good quality ones) especially if the phone has a case that hides the very edge of the screen.

Aside from protection (cracks from dropping keys on the screen etc) I find it quite beneficial in reducing the visibility of greasy fingerprints - on the bare glass I find fingerprints tend to stay put as visible finger prints and smear into a mess very easily when wiped by finger strokes, both of which are optically very noticeable and annoying.

With the clear film on I find finger prints are far less noticeable, and once the phone has been used a few days there is a very thin even film of skin oil (which you can't see) into which your fingerprints are "absorbed" :) If I turn the screen off and hold it to the light I can still see vague smudges but I don't see visible finger prints when the screen is on looking at it normally. Another thing I like is that I find bare glass can often be quite "grabby" on the finger, clean or smudgy, whilst with the plastic film once a small layer of invisible oil has built up, your finger always glides lightly and smoothly. :)

Ben
9th May 2011, 03:16 PM
But they just feel so wrong! Ok, ok, maybe it's just me, but the feeling of glass is so much nicer.

I've found the iPhone 4 deals with fingerprints very well. It has the best coating yet, to be sure, and I never have to clean it like I did my 3GS.

hecatae
16th May 2011, 12:14 PM
http://wirelessworker.net/2011/05/the-ipad-2s-smart-cover-makes-a-fool-out-of-me/

shame the smart cover is not magnetically stronger

Ben
16th May 2011, 03:25 PM
Yes, unfortunately the smart cover really isn't any sort of protection/case. Can't say my hinge has ever come off unexpectedly, but then I suppose some people may sort-of forget over time that it's only held on with magnets and isn't physically attached.

DBMandrake
19th May 2011, 08:48 AM
Do we seriously think that a different, but still thin, more conventional case would have protected that iPad in that situation though ? From the description of what happened and the photos the sheer amount of force of impact is unlikely to have been prevented by a traditional case had there been one on it. We're not talking about a small crack in the glass, we're talking about a huge impact crater in the frame after hitting a tea pot.

Most cases still don't protect the main glass area of an iPad when open anyway, so unless a case is closed the most vulnerable part of the iPad - the screen, is still unprotected against being dropping face down on a hard object when fumbled out of your hands.

I'm not sure why, but it seems that people expect miracles of protection from the smart covers - it's not a case, it's just a cover, and I wouldn't expect it to protect the glass from a major fumble that sends the ipad tumbling through the air landing face down on a teapot :p

On the other hand a closed smart cover would certainly protect the glass from more innocuous stuff like dropping your keys on the ipad.

Ben
19th May 2011, 11:55 AM
Judging by the scuffs on my red leather smart cover it's definitely doing something!

I now slip my iPad 2 naked (apart from the smart cover) into the front pocket of my new messenger bag, where it lives alone. So far, so good... definitely requiring due care and attention.

Ben
29th May 2011, 11:47 AM
The sheer quality of the 3G connectivity on the iPad 2 continues to blow me away. My village has awful mobile signal, but I was able to grab 2-3 usable bars on Three on the iPad on Friday night in the local, which allowed several of us to prod at Google Maps rather than just talk in the abstract about the local area. Very impressed faces all-round; mine due to the connection, everyone else's due to the iPad ;)

Travelled from Canterbury to Detling yesterday without losing VPN connection. Always nice!