View Full Version : Dell Streak Update to Froyo 2.2.2 is now available

Hands0n
22nd April 2011, 11:07 PM
I am downloading and installing this to my Dell Streak right at this moment.

The new update states

Froyo 2.2.2 with the next generation Dell Stage User Interface, with added widgets for Movies, eBooks & Streaming Music. This software update also includes pre-loaded apps such as:

Car Dock Mode
Enhanced Email, Gallery, Browser & Phone apps
Napster, Accuweather, CoPilot Live, Evernote & Zinio Reader apps

You are also warned that "Data stored on the device will be erased during the update. Please backup your data before continuing".

So there you have it. A new, and unexpected, update to Froyo for your Dell Streak. A bit of a shame that it erases your data - Android can do a lot better than this. But it is Dell's update so perhaps not entirely unexpected.

NB: The update image file is called Streak_351_15609_00.pkg - this is for my factory spec Streak (unbranded and unlocked). Those with O2 branded/locked handsets may not have an update ready just yet.

Edit:
Right now the update pkg file is available here, if you want to manually install --> http://mobileupdate.dell.com/PackageProductionLocations/Streak_351_15609_00.pkg
But these often get taken down or moved around.

Edit2: Also popped a copy of the pkg file here --> http://www.mediafire.com/?wottt25b5hf8jja

Hands0n
22nd April 2011, 11:35 PM
The update took about 15 minutes to complete, requiring several reboots and an awfully long time showing just the Dell flash logo. It looks like it isn't doing anything at all, but leave it be, the update is processing.

I didn't lose any data at all. Following the start up all of my apps were there. As were the vital things like the all-essential giffgaff APNs. So perhaps the Dell warning is just being a bit conservative in its approach. Certainly, no problems in that respect.

I have not yet tried out the new Dell Stage in this release - much preferring the ADW Launcher that also remained intact. I did have to use Android Assistant app to shut down some services and apps that were started up by default and were hogging some 40MB of RAM.

All in all, a nice update, nothing risky, everything seems to work well and also extremely fast (the Dell Streak is a nippy beast).