View Full Version : SuicideWatch: RIM - BlackBerry OS 7 is not coming to older handsets

Hands0n
2nd May 2011, 04:57 PM
RIM has confirmed that the newly launched BlackBerry OS 7 will not be coming to older phones.
So that means the BlackBerry Torch and older Bold models won't be getting the snazzy new icons and nippy web browsing of the Bold Touch.

Is this the end for older BlackBerry's upgrade cycles? If so, Torch owners will likely feel a little bit miffed.

Seven month span
After all, BlackBerry OS 6 was only launched in August 2010 so while it's time for an upgrade, it's a bit harsh for Torch owners whose phone was only up to date for a number of months.

The reason behind the new-models-only approach is the 1.2Ghz processor that the Bold Touch is rocking; the extra power means a better OS, and older BlackBerrys simply couldn't handle it.

For our thoughts on BlackBerry OS 7 and what Torch and older users will be missing out on, stay tuned for our hands on BlackBerry Bold Touch review later today.

Read more: http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/blackberry-os-7-is-not-coming-to-older-handsets-950407#ixzz1LD7AsN83

What is it with RIM these days? You cannot click a link to an article about them without reading some really depressing news regarding their design and development intentions.

So, in a single stroke RIM has laid waste to all of their product that precedes the new BlackBerry Touch 9900. At least to those in the know. The mass buying public at large know not much and care even less about a handset's OS and its development. So this is probably just me, a techie guy, overreacting to the news. Or is it?

Right now the bloggers and forums are merely reporting the facts. Soon, however, they will be considering their own opinions and writing those up for others to read. And that is where RIM need to be careful. Because when folk start researching and reading up on their prospective purchases they will come across the various writings and may not be too impressed with what they read.

Certainly, I could not now recommend any of the existing range of BlackBerry handsets in the face of this particular news. Not even if heavily discounted to clear the warehouses.

I have just this last month acquired a BlackBerry Torch as a SIM-free update to the wife's Bold 9700. She's happy with the new device. But now, less than two weeks on, she is a bit miffed that her brand new handset is not going to receive the update to OS7. And she is even wondering if RIM will bother to onward develop OS6 to continue bug-fixing and improvements. These are her questions, not mine, from someone who has little technical knowledge other than to know that the OS is important to how the handset looks, feels and performs.

So, RIM have been completely clear in stating their intentions not to deliver OS7 to existing and recent BlackBerry devices. Fine. But they have also kept completely silent and failed to reassure the existing set of BB users that OS6 has not, overnight, been made end of life and put out to grass in favour of OS7.

Really, this is the behaviour of a corporation that has lost its way completely and has little to no respect for its customer base. Fine if it wants to go back to selling only to the Enterprise. But that is a risky step to take in the face of the more recent competition that is gaining traction in the Enterprise.

Could this be the beginning of the end of RIM in the mass consumer handset (and tablet) market?

Ben
3rd May 2011, 12:15 AM
I wonder why the hell RIM are in the mass consumer market for mobiles anyway?

Wouldn't they have been much better off keeping a laser focus on enterprise? It was that corporate cool that once made BlackBerrys appealing.

They seem to be sacrificing a lot to go after a smartphone market that they're unlikely to capture.