View Full Version : Samsung Galaxy S Gingerbread now available

3GScottishUser
21st May 2011, 11:59 AM
Just plugged the phone into Kies this morning and hey presto.... firmware upgrade - Gingerbread Android 2.3 now installed.

The update should be available across all networks but my version is from Vodafone.

Not had long to play with it but the handset seems more responsive and more stable. Had to reinstall a couple of apps but after that the phone is performing like new.

One has to wonder if the networks will be happy with software updates making handsets much better as it could affect sales as people hang on to what they own longer. I like the Galaxy S2 but I'm not going to pay more money for something that is only marginally better than what I have now.

Hands0n
21st May 2011, 06:01 PM
Gingerbread is a very significant improvement over Froyo, as that was over Eclair. Battery life is much longer lasting, and the platform is much more stable. That is all in the land of Nexus One and Nexus S which are the vanilla Android devices. Of course, manufacturers mess around putting their own stuff on, and that can make the Android OS somewhat unstable, as has been written about endlessly on the various media.

Networks should be happy with these OS updates as it is likely to maintain their customer's interest in the device for the life of the contract which is generally 18 to 24 months, a long time to be keeping a modern Smartphone. Assuming the hardware survives the operator's customer is at least with some satisfaction that their now-aged device is at least keeping up with the newer stock.

3GScottishUser
21st May 2011, 07:45 PM
So far the Galaxy S has been rock solid and it's far more responsive. I have noticed a few changes in the settings and the mobile AP facility is now hidden within Tethering. The green icons are a bit nicer and I have noticed a big improvemnt on battery life.

It is like a new phone and connection via Kies also seems faster. Kies has also greatly improved lately with more facilities to help upgrade and restore your phone easily with simple backup too.

I'm well pleased with Gingerbread so far and would recommend the upgrade.

hecatae
21st May 2011, 10:09 PM
cyanogenmod7 for galaxy s now available

http://mirror.teamdouche.net/?device=galaxysmtd&type=nightly