View Full Version : O2 switches on superfast 3G

3GScottishUser
23rd May 2011, 06:37 PM
O2 has become the first UK operator to reuse 900MHz spectrum for 3G services after it gained permission from communications regulator, Ofcom.

The operator switched on a new superfast 3G network in Bradford, Bristol, Glasgow, Nottingham, Edinburgh, Newcastle, Leicester, Sheffield and Liverpool today (23 May).

Today’s switch follows switch ons in London, Leeds, Birmingham and Manchester in March this year and will allow O2 to offer a 50% increase in network capacity, greater coverage and 30% faster downloads.

O2 UK chief technology officer Nigel Purdy said: ‘This 3G900 switch-on is the latest in a series of network enhancements for O2, and is a first for the UK and Telefónica. We’ve acted quickly to bring the benefits of 3G over 900MHz spectrum to our customers and we’re thrilled with the results. Quite simply, on O2’s network, more customers can use more data, and experience it quicker.’

O2 said its new 3G900 network delivers a superior smartphone and tablet experience for its customers and offers the capability to significantly improve the potential of 3G services.

Purdy added : ’We invest the equivalent of over £1m a day, every day, in our network, which is used to deliver technologies in a way that goes beyond traditional cellular infrastructure; providing access to a new range of ‘smarter’ services. Our strategy is to intelligently layer our network to give our customers connection to 2G, 3G, HSPA+,LTE and Wi-Fi, seamlessly, simply and at speed.’

http://www.mobiletoday.co.uk/News/11631/o2_switches_on_superfast_3G.aspx

Hands0n
23rd May 2011, 07:46 PM
Purdy added : ’We invest the equivalent of over £1m a day, every day, in our network, which is used to deliver technologies in a way that goes beyond traditional cellular infrastructure; ...

I nearly sprayed my tea reading that drivel. What a load of nonsense and spin. This is O2 we are talking about? The same O2 that got hauled up by OFCOM and threatened with having their licence withdrawn unless they invest and honour their licence terms to provide 85% UK coverage. The same O2 that did not invest in the UK 3G deployment, dragging their heels that resulted in the debacle that was the early days of the modern smartphone - many will remember how dire their 3G network was as the iPhone 3G deployed.

No, I'm afraid that O2 are just spinning their usual rubbish. Their investment in 3G has been and continues to be minimal. That they are enabling 3G over the 900Mhz is purely exploitative use of infrastructure they already own. Sure, they may have to spend a few bob on new software for their transmitters to enable them for UMTS. But that is hardly backing 3G as was desperately needed since 2003.

The only UK company that has sunk their all into 3G has been Three. Fair enough, they had to, having nothing else. But if you want to see true 3G innovation then look to Three, not O2 who squander their funds not on networks but on that ridiculous tent on the Greenwich Peninsula.

Ben
23rd May 2011, 10:38 PM
I can't believe O2 are passing off 3G900, which they've inherited pretty much through chance, as some sort of miracle of their creation! They're insufferable.

Oh well. At least someone is trumpeting 3G900. Come on, Vodafone, I'm waiting.

miffed
24th May 2011, 08:28 AM
I can put my hand on my heart and say , o2 are the only network I currently use (o2, T-mobile, Three & Vodafone) that I have been able to see any evidence of even TRYING to improve ! - At one of my previous addresses I could only get a 2G signal back (guessing around 2007 ? ) - and I actually got a text message from o2 telling me they were about to improve the service , a week or so later it was a full HSDPA signal !
Fastforward to 2010-2011 where Vodafone were STILL only able to supply a 2G signal to my Workplace & home.

I've said it before and I'll say it again , I really don't understand how o2 have gotten this reputation for poor coverage , all I can assume is there must be some VERY densely populated areas where they have "holes" - Perhaps 900mhz will fill these holes ?

A bit silly to dress this up as some kind of new thing , but then that is what companies do I suppose - but at the end of the day it is good to see them "doing" rather than "not doing"

Ben
24th May 2011, 09:15 AM
Agreed; I think O2 have correctly identified that 3G900 provides a real opportunity for 3G service improvement. It's good that you get good coverage and performance from them, though failing to meet their 3G rollout obligation and having to publicly admit that their network buckled under strain from the iPhone does add weight to the issues some of us have experienced. My time on O2 with the iPhone was miserable, albeit a couple of years ago now.

It's going to be really interesting to see if O2 can actually eek out a first mover advantage from 3G900. Once H3T-Orange get spectrum I'd imagine their build-out will be rapid.

solo12002
24th May 2011, 11:53 AM
Come to Northern Ireland and you see how crap o2 3g coverage is, in fact go to princess street in Edinburgh, the metro centre in Newcastle and parts of the main shopping area in Newcastle, just for starts.

That will show you how crap o2 3g coverage is. This 3g900 is all spin nothing more or less. If the network is so good look at the numbers why have so many left it with their overall numbers down.

gorilla
24th May 2011, 01:09 PM
I almost have a hatred for this company for their lack of 3g coverage. Every now and again I get seduced by a cheap phone tariff and then I have to kick myself and realise that if I commit to this company with any sort of plan, then I am not going to be able to use my smartphone for anything except dumb things!
I doubt I will ever see O2 have anything other than patchy 3g coverage at best.