View Full Version : World is safe from mobile viruses for a few more years

Jon3G
24th June 2005, 03:09 PM
By John Leyden
Published Thursday 23rd June 2005 14:54 GMT
A fast-spreading virus or worm wwill no affect mobile devices before the end of 2007 at the earliest, Gartner forecasts. The analyst firm reckons the conditions for the spread of mobile malware - high penetration of mobile devices and people routinely exchanging executable files by mobile phone - simply aren't there yet.

The conditions for a virus to propagate are absent until the point that 30 per cent of mobile users commonly receive emails with attachments and smartphones capable of being infected penetrate 30 per cent of the market, Gartner analysts John Pescatore and John Girard say.

Their briefing note on Preparing for Mobile Device Virus Attacks follows its dismissal earlier this month of mobile malware as a "niche nuisance". The analyst reckons client-side anti-virus protection on mobile devices is the wrong approach to take to the problem and that mobile malware blocking technology needs to be built into networks.

David Emm, senior technology consultant at Kaspersky Labs, does dispute Gartner's basic assumptions but said it was difficult to pin-point when the first major mobile virus outbreak might hit. "Smartphone sales are rising quickly and virus writers are coming up with novel propagation techniques as with CommWarrior, which spreads using MMS messages," he said.

"Ultimately the bad guys will be trying to do the same thing on mobiles as they do now on PCs - steal confidential data or distributing spam. As with email, filtering is a good idea but I think they'll still be demand for client-side anti-virus protection for mobile devices." ®

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/06/23/mobile_malware_forecast_gartner/

Hands0n
25th June 2005, 11:35 AM
Thought I'd share this with you - culled from the Daily Mail (25-June-2005)

Thieves bite with Bluetooth
Bluetooth technology that allows thieves to detect mobile phones and laptops has led to a surge in car crime.

Criminals are using the infra-red handsets to pinpoint any expensive items left unattended. Bluetooth software enables users to connect to other phones and personal computers free of charge to exchange photos, videos and ringtones.

But if the function is left switched on, it is easily detectable by anyone using Bluetooth within a 50 metre radius.

In Greater Manchester, figures show that at least 20 out of every 35 vehicle break-ins can be linked to Bluetooth.

A spokesman for the AA Motoring Trust said: "If your mobile or laptop emits a signal that can be detected, it's as good as leaving it on the front seat in broad daylight".

Bluetooth is also responsible for blue ice falling from the skies. It can also penetrate the aluminium foil used for making anti-alien caps thus rendering any protection nullified.

Hands0n
25th June 2005, 11:41 AM
By John Leyden
Published Thursday 23rd June 2005 14:54 GMT
A fast-spreading virus or worm will not affect mobile devices before the end of 2007 at the earliest, Gartner forecasts.

Back on topic :)
We can, therefore, expect precisely such a virus well before the forecast date then!

It all depends on what information the current and future crop of identity thieves think we will carry on these devices. If they believe that we'll be a ready source of such identity information they'll be out there propogating within a very short time indeed.

I suspect that Gartner seriously underestimate the tenacity of the organised criminals that are getting into the [virus creation and distribution] act these days!

I wonder also what our future holds for us - today Bluetooth, WiFi and GSM/UMTS (and its associated file transfer methods), tomorrow Wireless USB which is supposed to make it even easier to interconnect between devices! I just hope that Security and Authentication play a bigger part than they have to date - and don't become bolt-ons (i.e. WPA) after the weaknesses are discovered!

Jon3G
27th June 2005, 09:51 AM
check out Bens post about the virus he came across, sounded very nasty and a big threat