View Full Version : iTunes 10.5 Beta - Oh dear !

miffed
12th June 2011, 09:43 AM
OK , so I was contemplating having a go on iOS 5 , so I installed iTunes Beta 10.5

I then thought better of it , so forgot about everything , until today when I went to play some musc , and to my horror it has all disappeared !
Well , I say disappeared , it does pop up for a few seconds when changing views , but then disappears again - I can sort of trick content into playing , but none of it is where it should be by any means ! this is quite good I suppose as it means the content is not totally lost just yet.
The annoying thing is , although iTunes acts as if I have no content , it actually makes iTunes store suggestions based on the content It THINKS I don't have !

I thought "Ah ,this will be simple !" uninstall 10.5 and reinstall the last version - but alas Lion won't let me delete itunes as it is "required" by the OS !

So it looks like I have a couple of choices , I am currently transferring my Library to my MBA I can either open the library (betting it is going to refuse though !) - or rebuild the library from the files
Or wait for the proper 10.5 to be born !

The annoying thing is that a few people have tried to raise this on Apple's forums, but I have only been able to see them thanks to Google's cache , as Apple simply shut the converstions down and remind the "developers" of their disclosure agreement !

That'll teach me to mess around and not back stuff up !! :rolleyes:

DBMandrake
12th June 2011, 02:36 PM
There is a reason for the word "Beta" ;)

Beta versions of iTunes are only released to developers when they are required to activate or test some functionality of a beta version of iOS, they're not intended to be used for playing music etc... I certainly wouldn't install one without a backup of my music collection.

Hope you get it sorted out, but, when playing with fire, make backups ;)

miffed
12th June 2011, 04:02 PM
Looks like a right old mess , iTunes 10.3 on the MBA simply doesn't want to know the copied iTunes file , and even Copying the individual files across one at a time doesn't seem to be bearing any fruit !

Wasn't expecting it to be a huge deal , as I had used Beta's of iTunes to install iOS betas in the past with no trouble - But this isn't going anywhere ! I think I am now totally stuck until the proper 10.5 comes along (or an updated Beta)

Most of my music is ripped from CD's , I have seen speculation that Apple are not going to allow this stuff on iTunes unless it is on their "cloud" - but surely that would be silly ? No , can't possibly be the case IMO , Apparantly the noney grabbing b*****ds in various countries that tax music (PRS PPS in this country ) are trying to make things as difficult as they possibly can , which is no surprise (I begrudge paying them several times to play my music at work ) Not sure if that is causing the problems ?

Ah well , all good fun !

miffed
12th June 2011, 05:47 PM
How strange - I decided to see if I could get Appzapper to weed out the resilient 10.5 beta , but I decided to try one more time to delete it manually .... Lo and behold it deleted ! How strange , and I am now thinking surely I can't have been stupid enough to be trying to remove it while it was running earlier ? .... I don't think I was , but it simply wasn't going !

Then it was just a case of using an previously saved .itl file ... and we are back running again

Lesson learned ! I'll wait for the official 10.5 / iOS 5 now

Hands0n
12th June 2011, 07:13 PM
Lesson learned ! I'll wait for the official 10.5 / iOS 5 now

I only play with Beta on stuff that I really don't mind losing. That means that I simply cannot countenance taking such risks with my primary kit, which most of the Apple stuff is! Aaaargh, cursed by the risk averse mindset implanted in my by my working career in The City!