View Full Version : Android is top OS in UK

3GScottishUser
14th June 2011, 07:00 AM
Google’s Android has become the most used OS in the UK after increasing its market share by 35.1% to 44.9% in the 12 weeks ended 15 May 2011.

According to figures released today (13 June) from Kantar Worldpanel, the popular operating system now accounts for just under half of UK market sales, and is also number one in Germany, France, US, Australia and Japan.

Global consumer insight director at Kantar Worldpanel ComTech Dominic Sunnebo said: ‘Android now holds the top spot in 6 countries and continues to make large share gains in Europe.

‘In the US market, Android share has remained relatively static for the last few periods (54.7%), as iOS (30.8%) continues to claw back market share through its recent availability on Verizon.’

Although Symbian, held onto the top spot in Spain and Italy, Nokia’s OS saw a sharp decrease in market share from 31% in 2010 to 10.6% this year as it lost more customers to the Andriod and ioS platforms.

Sunnebo said: ‘Symbian continues to struggle this month while consumers await the arrival of its Windows based phones.

‘Nokia is failing to attract new buyers to the brand, however, it retains an existing, dedicated customer-base to sell the new Windows based Smartphones to later this year.’

Meanwhile, Blackberry maker, RIM reported increase in sales in the 12 weeks ending 15 May 2011.The company’s shares increased from 18.6% to 20.9%.

http://www.mobiletoday.co.uk/News/11774/Android_is_top_os_in_UK.aspx

Ben
14th June 2011, 10:06 AM
Can the Nokrosoft really claw back as much market share as analysts are predicting? I find it really hard to believe when Android is raking in such impressive numbers.

But then perhaps Android users will be less loyal, and that Nokia brand will experience enough of a revival to turn the tables on Google's OS.

I wonder what percentage iOS takes in the UK at the moment. Can't be too huge, there's so much Android on the shelves now, at such aggressive price points.

3GScottishUser
14th June 2011, 05:51 PM
I think the Nokia/Windows product will be mid to high end. Android is doing well because it spans such a wide range of devices and price points. I believe Sony Ericsson are still shipping Android 2.1 on some budget handsets whilst Samsung and others are delivering Android 2.3 on their top of the range models.

Interesting that some of the budget Android handsets have no facility to upgrade the firmware.

A shrewd move by Google to have such a blanket coverage with one OS on such a variety of products.

Hands0n
14th June 2011, 10:41 PM
Its the old VHS vs Betamax all over again. Licensed technology is always going to find a larger distribution than those that are not. WP7 had a shot but seems to have ended up somewhat stillborn. Perhaps it really isn't as great as Microsoft keep telling us it is. A touch of the emperors new clothes?

Android turning up on sub-£100 smartphones (ie. Orange San Francisco, T-Mobile Pulse etc.) is going to do no harm at all to the popularity of the OS.