View Full Version : Datacards

mikerouse
24th June 2005, 05:01 PM
Hello all,

Thanks to a little nudge by Ben to actually post on the forum I would like to ask if anybody can help clarify something about 3g datacards.

Are they available to personal users yet? If not, does some other kind of card exist, say a GPRS card?

Mike

3g-g
24th June 2005, 05:18 PM
Hi mike, welcome.

Yes, you can head to into the highstreet and purchase yourself a data card and contract, if you have a look on Orange's website it asks if you're a personal or business user. Vodafone offer a GPRS card also, however if you're considering a data card contract I'd recommend a 3G one, you then get the best of both worlds, a 3G connection and a 2.5G GPRS one if 3G isn't available.

If you have an existing contract with a mobile operator which allows data access you could aquire a SIM free data card and put your existing SIM in it to save the hassle of two contracts.

Ben
24th June 2005, 06:48 PM
It's worth adding that some recent speedtests by myself using my Nokia 6680 as a 3G modem and Jon3G using his Orange 3G datacard indicate that, speed wise, having a dedicated data card brings no advantages. A bluetooth connection can be just as fast. I'd definitely consider seeing what data bundles can be had on a decent handset contract as an alternative to the data card.

Of course, datacards are powered by the laptop, and it's a dedicated device... it'd be a tough choice!

Oh, PS! Welcome to Talk3G, thanks for posting!

Jon3G
24th June 2005, 06:57 PM
Welcome to talk 3G

Ben is right, no real advantages having a data card if you already a 3G contract. I did test my Data card in a ok 3G area and the test was ok, but Ben did come out on top. I am going to do some further after all I have got it for a month for free.

The Orange software is crap to use, but if you follow this guide then you should not go wrong

https://talk3g.co.uk/showthread.php?p=3810#post3810

That link should tell u how to use the data card without the Orange software how to get a free trial