View Full Version : My 2 year iphone 3g O2 contract ends on 13th September 2011

hecatae
21st June 2011, 04:21 PM
I can either:

upgrade on the 13th August 2011 to a 12 month upgrade contract with O2

or

Ask for my PAC.

suggestions please, would you consider any of O2's current offerings on a new contract:

http://shop.o2.co.uk/mobile_phones/Pay_Monthly/all_phones/all_brands

or the coming soon selection

http://www.o2.co.uk/comingsoon

Hands0n
21st June 2011, 07:00 PM
For my own part, I would not consider O2 in favour against several other options out there currently. It really depends on what use you are making of the device, and also of what use you would like to make of it if you were not constrained by factors such as numbers of minutes, texts or mobile data FUP limits.

In my own circumstances Three's The One Plan with All You Can Eat data is absolutely ideal for me at £25/mth for 2000 minutes, (plus 3000 3-to-3 minutes I'll never use), 5000 texts and completely unlimited, without bound, mobile data. I've gone for the SIM-only option (30-day contract) and buy my handset up front, SIM-free.

blush
21st June 2011, 07:32 PM
I'm very keen to switch to Three from o2 but after having no signal at various places in Kent at the weekend I'm not sure. I left the o2 sim at home and only had my iphone and Three sim. Generally I had signal but a few places I had nothing at all. I thought Three used Orange as a backup but I had no signal for quite some time. If they enhance the tariff slightly with an international option I may just force myself to commit! As much as o2 frustrates me I can't give up on them yet although my work mobile is also on o2 so changing might be a good idea.

The current tarrifs on o2 don't inspire me at all. I am on an old simplicity 30 day tariff with 600 mins, 1000 texts and unlimited data (how unlimited I don't know), I can use the 1000 texts abroad at a ratio of 4 to 1 so quite handy when travelling.

Hands0n
21st June 2011, 07:46 PM
Three have been winding down their Orange 2G backup for quite a while and will end up exclusively 3G, for better or worse.

I live in Kent and work in London where Three's coverage has been almost flawless for me. I know a few local dead spots, but they're also dead for Vodafone and O2 (by my own experience). Where I am sitting right now is basking in 3G from transmitters not more than 250m away from Vodafone, Three, T-Mobile and O2 (lately). There is virtually no Orange signal of any kind.

blush
21st June 2011, 08:03 PM
There is virtually no Orange signal of any kind.

I can relate to this, my first mobile was with Orange and I had to drive seven miles just to get signal from where I lived. I soon ditched them but at the time which was when Orange first started out it was the most affordable for me.

I really wish that you could sign up to multiple carriers and have several subscriptions on just one handset but be connected to all of them at the same time.

hecatae
21st June 2011, 09:49 PM
ok, I hardly call anyone on my mobile, currently get 600 minutes, and use max of 15 a month. priorities are data and texts

hecatae
22nd June 2011, 09:03 AM
may go for the HTC Desire, if it's still available and free

Ben
22nd June 2011, 09:08 AM
If you feel like throwing yourself into another massive commitment you could wait it out for the next iPhone? Something will come along this autumn, and it'll be insanely great - obviously!

hecatae
22nd June 2011, 09:27 AM
my iphone lasted 5 - 6 weeks before being sold, I did not like it and I cant see myself purchasing another ios device. symbian looks dead in the water, wp7 looks like a non-starter I've been using the wp7 launcher available on the android market, and while the tile interface is pretty, having to dig down into settings for things like turning wireless on and off seems long. will have a proper play in an o2 store.

currently choosing between HTC Mozart or Desire