View Full Version : Samsung Galaxy S II sales hit three million

Ben
5th July 2011, 09:43 AM
Samsung has sold over three million units of its Galaxy S II smartphone just two months after it was officially released.

Samsung said that the successor to its flagship smartphone the Samsung Galaxy S has proved popular with consumers worldwide since it launched in May.

Simon Stanford, UK and Ireland MD for Samsung's mobile division, said: ‘The Galaxy S II is our most advanced smartphone to date and has been a huge hit with customers. This latest sales milestone reflects how devices from our Galaxy range continue to exceed expectations, thanks to a combination of superb hardware, the latest OS and the greatest and most relevant content.’

Read more: http://www.mobiletoday.co.uk/News/11957/Samsung_Galaxy_S_II_sales_hit_three_million.aspx

--

And so the Samsung Galaxy S II storms onwards. Even I'll concede it's a great looking handset, and I've never owned a Samsung in my life!

Hands0n
5th July 2011, 09:59 AM
The Galaxy S II certainly has captured the buying public's interest. I have not yet seen one in operation but it is already legendary in terms of performance and sheer slick. Perhaps, then, this is THE Android that is going to give the iPhone a really serious run for its money in terms of actual performance. Good. It is about time that a credible contender arrived on the scene. Even if it has taken a dual core fast processor to do it, Android really is a bit of a resource hog.

I have been tempted by the Galaxy S II - but I am waiting now for the new HP Pre 3 WebOS to arrive on the scene ( https://talk3g.co.uk/showthread.php?8923-Palm-Pre-2-or-wait-for-the-new-HP-Palm-3&goto=newpost ). So for me the Samsung doesn't get my buy in. But I do believe that I would recommend it to anyone who is completely against anything and everything Apple. Of all the current Androids the Galaxy S II does come out the strongest at this time.

Ben
5th July 2011, 10:38 AM
Funnily enough, I think the Galaxy smartphones are, indeed, the most credible iPhone contender for anyone who doesn't want an iPhone.

Why's that funny? Apple think the similarities are so great that Samsung is in breach of its patents: http://news.google.co.uk/news/search?aq=f&pz=1&cf=all&ned=uk&hl=en&q=samsung+apple+legal&btnmeta_news_search=Search+News

So there you have it. Apple and Samsung's legal battles are possibly the highest form of flattery for the Galaxy range.

Hands0n
6th July 2011, 08:59 PM
Interesting that the Galaxy S 2 has been such a win. It has to be on the sheer styling of the handset, because it is unlikely to be purely about horsepower and performance.

Slightly ahead of the Galaxy S2 was the LG Optimus 2X with its dual core Nvidia Tegra SoC. The Galaxy S2 uses a Dual-core 1.2GHz ARM Cortex-A9 proccessor. Watching games running on the LG is quite an experience, the graphics from the 8-core GPU are stunning, almost XBox quality.

It has taken a while for Android to get a decent set of hardware to run on. Since day one it has been somewhat hamstrung by the older processors and meagre amounts of RAM. But now the manufacturers are iteratively developing their hardware and have reached a technological milestone. This is good to see, it will help keep the other manufacturers honest :)