View Full Version : Opinions on Xperia mini?

pctech
16th August 2011, 07:56 PM
Been weighing up this phone over the weekend as it probably time for me to 'get with the programme' and dump the physical keypad.

It looks the size I am looking for but I am wondering how well it performs as a phone rather than the smartphone stuff? (signal pickup, call quality both for the user and the called party)

Ringtone loud enough?

Battery life?

Can data services be switched off to save battery (and money!)?

Hands0n
16th August 2011, 10:42 PM
I don't know about the "phone" performance but for sure, if you are seriously thinking about using it as a non-smartphone then you could do yourself a favour and set it to 2G only which will give you better coverage access (assuming you're on Vodafone, O2 or one of their MVNOs). As the Xperia Mini is an Android phone you certainly can switch off mobile data such that it only works on WiFi when you're in range of an accessible hotspot or your own WLAN.

As it is an Android you can customise the home screen with shortcuts to the contacts you call most, for instance. Essentially you can highly personalise the UI to your own needs and wants.

Battery life in 2G is going to be somewhat similar to a regular dumbphone, I'd expect you to get a couple of days of moderate use.

Ringtone? You're going to have to get yourself into one of the phone shops and check that out for yourself. Some Androids are quite loud, others are not so. They typically have their loudspeaker on the back which is easily muted by pockets or other paraphernalia about your person :)

pctech
17th August 2011, 11:25 AM
Time to place an order and suck it 'n' see.

Ben
17th August 2011, 12:26 PM
Brave! ;)

Fingers crossed it works out. Who knows, maybe you'll be tempted into using some smartphone features... perhaps, even... apps? :eek:

DaveC
17th August 2011, 01:18 PM
;) Pctech is noted for changing phones

hecatae
17th August 2011, 05:37 PM
opinions?

another quick phone changer has already offered his for sale after 2 weeks of ownership, bought for £230, selling for £145 here http://forum.whatmobile.net/showthread.php?t=46480

for that price range you can get a Huawei U8800

pctech
17th August 2011, 07:53 PM
;) Pctech is noted for changing phones

Not as much as someone else I could mention from THAT forum :)

Hands0n
17th August 2011, 07:57 PM
Isn't this about the time when Getti should be joining the conversation. He's a rapid phone changer, jeez I can't keep up.