View Full Version : Do any mobile operating systems support this?

andyukguy
17th August 2011, 05:11 PM
Hi,

I would like to have the ability to disable 2G therefore forcing 3G only. I realise all operating systems allow for disabling of 3G forcing 2G only. I don't mind if it's a patch/hack/jailbreak only tool.

The reasoning for this is two fold:

1) Battery life
2) Better signal

Sometimes my iPhone hangs on for dear life to a very low 3G signal when I'm not really needing the speeds that 3G offers, 2G at 5 bars would be much better for me at this time from a reliability standpoint (e.g. not dipping in and out of No Service due to the weak nature of the 3G signal) and also for battery reasons. All phones offer this. However I'd also like it to go the other way, sometimes I need to do some downloading and 3G is essential for the task - I'd like to be able to force the phone to lock onto the 3G signal no matter how weak it is compared to the 2G signal. Is it possible?

Thanks.

miffed
17th August 2011, 05:23 PM
Don't pretty much all OS's support this - by means of setting network selection to "manual" , and then connecting to the 3G network of choice ?

(I may be off the mark here - someone please correct me if I am !)

andyukguy
17th August 2011, 05:29 PM
The iPhone certainly doesn't. With 3 you can select the Orange backup signal but even then it will force you back onto the 3G signal after some time. Vodafone/o2/T-Mobile and Orange all just have one entry for their combined 2G/3G networks. Maybe other phones work differently?

hecatae
17th August 2011, 05:38 PM
android allows you to choose WCDMA aka 3G only

miffed
17th August 2011, 05:41 PM
Ah I see , come to think of it the last time I looked at such things was probably back in Windows Mobile 6 / Symbian S60 days !! (testament to how well these modern smartphones work maybe ? ) ...and back then I recall that a providers (say, Vodafones) 3G and 2G networks would be listed seperately ?
Maybe this has changed now ? I am just looking at what comes up on my iPhone , I am just getting

3 (3G)
o2 - uk
T-mobile UK
Vodafone

...so no 2G/3G tags , except on 3 - which is a bit strange as I thought all 3 was 3G ? or is it seeing the Orange network as "3" I wonder ? ......

anway , none of this helps you does it ? ....sorry !

andyukguy
17th August 2011, 05:46 PM
android allows you to choose WCDMA aka 3G only

Stock android or a specific skin e.g. TouchWiz?

miffed: appreciate your efforts never the less ;)

Hands0n
17th August 2011, 08:07 PM
Stock Android will allow you to set WCDMA only. You need to access a menu using the code *#*#4636#*#*

*pinched from Android Forums to help make it clear*

Network mode selection hidden menu
*#*#4636#*#*

In the "phone Information" menu, you can select the following:
(note that this is my own understanding, I might be wrong)

GSM Only
2G only, the phone will never be on 3G, even though there is no 2G available, unless it can find 2G on a roaming partner of your operator.
Risk: the phone will go into no service is no 2G available, or if no 2G is available with the roaming partner

GSM Auto (PRL)
The phone will stay in 2G as long as possible. When there is no 2G available anymore, it will go to 3G on your home network, and if not possible, it will try to use the 2G network of a roaming partner (another operator). Last solution will be to use 3G on another roaming partner.

WCDMA Only
3G only, the phone will never be on 2G, even though there is no 3G available, unless it can find 2G on a roaming partner of your operator
Risk: the phone will go into no service is no 3G available, or if no 3G is available with the roaming partner

WCDMA Preferred
The phone will stay in 3G as long as possible. When there is no 3G available anymore, it will go to 2G on your home network, and if not possible, it will try to use the 3G network of a roaming partner (another operator). Last solution will be to use 2G on another roaming partner.

Source: http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-s/150198-network-mode-selection-hidden-menu.html

andyukguy
17th August 2011, 11:36 PM
Thank you, that's great!