View Full Version : Ye Olde iPhone continues to sell

Ben
22nd August 2011, 04:52 PM
A little mean in the title there, perhaps, but it's the cold hard truth! Sales data is US.

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/08/22/iphone-4-and-3gs-rank-as-best-selling-u-s-smartphones/

SplatF pulls out one key detail from the full report, noting that not only is Apple's 14-month-old iPhone 4 continuing to lead the market in sales, but that the 8 GB iPhone 3GS takes the second spot in the rankings. The iPhone 3GS was introduced 26 months ago, and Apple kept the device around following last year's iPhone 4 introduction by dropping the capacity to 8 GB and offering it at a $99 price point for entry-level users.

Impressive = understatement?

Edit: Some of my ramblings from May on the white iPhone (etc) can be found here https://talk3g.co.uk/entry.php?146-What-s-brand-new-but-11-months-old

Hands0n
22nd August 2011, 10:12 PM
O2 tried to charge one of my daughter's Uni friends £300 up front for an iPhone 3GS on a 24 month contract!

Ben
22nd August 2011, 10:53 PM
They should be burned at the stake for that one. I know the Spanish have some financial woes right now, but really? :p

miffed
23rd August 2011, 08:11 AM
LOL , I like the fact that at EVERY turn , even before the iPhone 1 was on the shelves , people have been calling its doom .... "Ah , Apple may sell one or two , but the LG Prada / Viewty / N96 / N97 / "Tube" 5800 / HTC Hero / Desire / Nexus One / Blackberry torch / Blackberry Bold / Samsung Omnia / HTC Touch HD / Motorola Miletstone / Samsung Galaxy S / Samsung Galaxy S 2 / Nokia N8 / Nokia E7 ........ ( Seriously , the list is infinite !!!) will come along and wipe the floor with it " (yawn !)

Surely there must come a point where these people notice the pattern , and give the iPhone it's due credit ? ...Probably not ! , but everything must come to an end , and inevitably there WILL be a better device - I suspect when this day comes , they'll all be like "See , Told you !" :D

Ben
23rd August 2011, 01:07 PM
miffed, god, don't you know anything? People only buy the iPhone because it's Apple and they think it's cool. Stupid morons don't even know how overpriced Apple stuff is! They're all too stupid to use a real phone anyway, bunch of rich thickos.

:p

A friend of mine was still on the 3GS and just upgraded to the iPhone 4. Her battery was getting iffy and she was loving the 4, even though I warned her that the 5 is due some time soon.

Another just switched to the iPhone, again 4. She considered the 3GS, cheaper, and other handsets, but the 4 is just too nice. Also wasn't worried about waiting for the 5; the 4 is just so 'feature complete' it seems.

Most iPhone users are going to be on contract, and most of those will be long - up to 24 months. As such, there are still plenty of people who had been locked out of the market who are snapping up iPhone come upgrade time. However, those who early-adopt each iPhone incarnation are going to be growing impatient around now... Apple does risk losing 'enthusiasts' as the current lineup ages.

Fortunately those enthusiasts are likely to come clamouring back :)

miffed
23rd August 2011, 05:32 PM
LOL , the funny thing is , I know loads of people that will openly admit they hate Apple and tend to buy whatever "iPhone killer" is being touted for that reason .....

As a mobile "Hobbyist" I simply cannot get my head around that way of thinking ? .. Hell , I am not keen on Panasonic ... But if they came up with a device that was even rumoured to be a contender , i'd HAVE to have a go . I couldn't simply refuse to even look on the grounds that I don't like Panasonic ! - I am not a Nokia fan of late , but I tried an N900 , a 5230 , and came very close to an E7 ! I simply can't bring myslef to dismiss a brand out of snobbery , as I want the best device(s) , I don't give a toss who made them !!!

DaveC
23rd August 2011, 05:49 PM
, but everything must come to an end , and inevitably there WILL be a better device - I suspect when this day comes , they'll all be like "See , Told you !" :D

What constitutes 'better' device? I was given (yes given) a brand new Nexus 1 some 18 months ago. At that point my iphone went in the draw for a rainy day. I've used it for a couple of hours since, but I can't wait to put it back when it does come out.

So, for me, the Nexus has proved a better device, so much so I'm in no hurry to look for something else.

Ben
23rd August 2011, 06:09 PM
I have developed a vehement hate for my Nexus One. Just can't abide the thing. Funny how two people's feelings towards a device can be so different!

That said, the iPhone 4 is in a different league. Fair enough comparing the Nexus One to 3G or 3GS, though.

DaveC
23rd August 2011, 07:09 PM
I've constantly updated my Nexus and am at present running Cyanogen Mod.
It's always worked a treat.
I had a prolonged play with an iPhone 4 but it's not for me.

Exactly what I was saying about 'best'. Neither iPhone, Android or whatever are superior, just different.

miffed
23rd August 2011, 08:33 PM
No , I really do beg to differ , The iPhone offers a far higher level of "polish" , stability , intuitiveness , and general "warmth of use" than anything out there , I currently use a Dell Streak , Nexus S (Running CM 7) , and HTC 7 Pro and an iPhone 4 , ...and I have to say despite the best efforts of Android , I think that WP7 actually comes closer to the iPhone on these points than Gingerbread 2.3.5 does

I suppose you can make it subjective if you like , but from my subjective point of view , the iPhone 4 is a better smartphone than anything else out there currently .

DaveC
23rd August 2011, 08:57 PM
Still no good for me - No iTunes as I only run Linux

Ben
23rd August 2011, 11:35 PM
Ah, I suppose iTunes is a whole other thing. But then iCloud is about to cut the cord :)