View Full Version : Consipiracy theory time !

miffed
19th September 2011, 04:16 PM
I am currently running Beta 7 of iOS 5 , I have to say everything is pretty nippy , except ONE thing , and its the SAME thing that always seems to offer a disproportionate amount of lag (compared to the rest of the OS ) when trying to run the next Gen of iOS on a current gen device ....

....And that just happens to be , possible the most used aspect of the handset - SMS Messaging

An SMS comes in , and the SMS app appears to "hang" for about 3-5 seconds , before opening ! (not every time , but occasionally) ...This can either leave you with a blank message screen for this time , or sometimes the messages will be there , but you cannot click or type for this "hang" time

Don't get me wrong , it is all far from unusable ! and on any OS other the the app opening would probably be deemed as "quick" , but it simply don't buy the notion that the iPhone 4's hardware simply can't do any better

I have noticed the same lag on pretty much every major iOS upgrade , but NEVER on a minor upgrade .

The David Icke in me suspects that Apple do this on purpose to encourage hardware upgrades !

DaveC
19th September 2011, 07:04 PM
The David Icke in me suspects that Apple do this on purpose to encourage hardware upgrades !

That has to be a temptation for any company that makes both the hardware and software to go with it. But surely St. Steve and his band of angels would be above such things ;)

miffed
19th September 2011, 08:22 PM
Yeah the thing that makes me think otherwise is that surely any deliberate attempt to slow things down on purpose , the Jailbreak / developer community would be able to see evidence..... wouldn't they ?

Hands0n
19th September 2011, 10:57 PM
I suspect that there are probably "fair trading" laws that would take a very dim view of such 'engineered obsolescence'.

Ben
19th September 2011, 11:22 PM
I wonder if this has something to do with iMessage. Is it live yet?

miffed
20th September 2011, 08:12 AM
Oh yes iMessage is quite live , I have managed to get myself up and running on it despite not being a proper developer - it is all quite simple and painless , I love the way the iMessage works everything out for itself , whereas most platforms would faff around asking you how you want to send a message , iMesssage will simply send it by the best available route , and the only difference you'll see is the colour of the send button !

I was a little confused over Apple ID's / MobileMe addresses etc (or at least I thought I was going to be !) but with these things you have to remember the golden rule - Apple Never make anything difficult

Read all the "guesses" on t'nternet and you are led to believe that you need a me.com address , as an Apple ID to use iMessage / iCloud , but in reality you don't ! I simply used my existing Apple ID (which is NOT a me.com address) to log on to my iCloud account via the web service (which was offered to me when I tried to log into "find my iPhone"
Once into you iCloud account , you can simply make up Me.com "sub" accounts at will for your various devices ! so I made up one for my iPhone , one for the iPad ..etc you can then select (from the individual App settings) to use these addresses in FaceTime & iMessage - whether you ALSO want to use the address for mail is completely up to you - I chose not to as I am happy with my Gmail account

You then get a control panel of iCloud options to select , now it is pointless for me to enable iPhoto etc ,as I don't have the Beta's of the relevant Apps - but I do have Photostream ticked , so I take a photo on my iPhone , it is immediately on my iPad , cool !

I think iCloud is going to be awesome , I think cloud services are one of those things that "could" be great if someone implemented them properly - and I think Apple have done just that.
The only thing that strikes me here (unless my understanding is wrong ) is that the "free" 5GB service is merely a gesture , and in reality we'll all need to buy extra space ?

Oh , returning to the original point .. no I don't think its iMessage related TBH as I have seen similar lag on every major upgrade.

The Mullet of G
16th December 2011, 04:10 PM
Yeah the thing that makes me think otherwise is that surely any deliberate attempt to slow things down on purpose , the Jailbreak / developer community would be able to see evidence..... wouldn't they ?

You'd think, but then look how long it took them to spot Carrier IQ. :)