View Full Version : giffgaff to launch Data Goody Bags in October 2011

Hands0n
26th September 2011, 07:01 PM
Hot off the press. Well, giffgaff's own website really. It is interesting to see the MVNO launch a set of Data Only Goody Bags. I'll let them tell you in their own words, below.

We have been working on delivering a data only goodybag and I can happily confirm that it these products will go live on the 10th October. In fact we are not launching one data only product but three. These are;

£5 for 500MB
£7.50 for 1GB
£12.50 for 3GB

These products are to use with tablets, like iPads, dongles and other data devices. If you wanted to tether with these data products, unlike our goodybags, you can. These data only bags last for one month and can be bought from balance or with a debit or credit card (much like our goodybags).

If you run over your allowance (e.g. 1GB), we’ll give you an extra 50MB for free. If you then use all of this we have a special data goodybag rate of 2p per MB until the data goodybag expires. We are planning to send you messages to let you know if you have used your allowance, when you start using the free 50MB and again when the 50MB is used up.

See the full announcement here --> http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Blog/Data-only-goodybags/ba-p/1679431

Now this is indeed good news for anyone who wants a relatively cheap and easily accessible, no frills, no contract mobile data SIM to use in their laptop, dongle or tablet device. The £7.50 probably offers the best
The giffgaff MVNO is supplied by the O2 network and so the usual caveats apply, check for coverage before you commit too much money. Although, with giffgaff that is quite hard to do, given their tariffs.

I can see myself recommending giffgaff Data Only Goody Bags to anyone asking for advice of a cheap way to get mobile broadband. Well done giffgaff.

Ben
27th September 2011, 12:35 PM
Great value. Do they do micro SIMs?

Wilt
27th September 2011, 12:41 PM
No, you either need to cut a SIM down yourself of have a look around their forums where some members are offering SIMs they have already cut down for you.

Ben
27th September 2011, 12:50 PM
Bit of a cheek to say the product is designed for use in iPads and then not offer a micro SIM. Sigh.

Saying that, it's hardly like the micro SIM has caught on. I'm quite surprised; I thought all high-end smartphones would have moved to the new format by now.

3GScottishUser
17th November 2011, 06:55 PM
GiffGaff is a Telefonica 02 subsiduary company.

It's based at the same head office as 02 and seems to be their fully owned budget brand.

That said they offer amazing value for money with fully unlimited data on the £10 a month and over 'goodybags'.

I have just got a SIM and will be checking it out soon.

As a secondary SIM in an unlocked phone for social use it seems brilliant. £5 a month buys 60 mins to UK numbers, 300 SMS, free 0808/0800, free calls + SMS to GiffGaff customers and for every 1 minute of calls received you get 1 minute of call credit for outgoing UK calls. Great for low users.

Wilt
17th November 2011, 07:20 PM
GiffGaff moved out of the o2 offices in January. They're now based at Beaconsfield, Buckinghamshire.

@NickyColman
27th November 2011, 12:34 PM
@Hands0n

I believe Three are the cheapest - 2GB for £5.11 per month on a 30 day rolling contract. Given modern smartphones ability to route almost all forms of communication via the data connection, I think I could easily switch to a data-only sim and survive.

http://threestore.three.co.uk/simonly.aspx

3GScottishUser
30th November 2011, 07:32 AM
Even cheaper - why not order a 3 micro SIM for the iPad with 3GB of data pre-loaded valid for 3 months for just £12.22 delivered! Works out at £4.07 a month if the 1GB per month of data is enough for your needs.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-Ipad-Micro-Sim-Pre-Loaded-3Gb-Data-Ready-go-/140649923434?pt=UK_Mobile_Home_Phones_Sim_Cards_CV&hash=item20bf63836a