http://i56.tinypic.com/2aahtl1.jpg

Wilt
15th October 2011, 10:44 PM
The SGS2 is growing on me now !

http://i56.tinypic.com/2aahtl1.jpg

What have you done?! :eek::eek::eek:

Ben
16th October 2011, 12:09 PM
When I'm PM, such sacrilege will meet with the swiftest and harshest punishment I can conjure! ;)

Saw a thread on Macrumors about 'coming back' to iPhone 4S, some respondents mentioning the Samsung Galaxy S2. I wonder if they'd have been singing a different tune had they ditched the stock Samsung software and installed what all you folks are using...

miffed
16th October 2011, 12:36 PM
I have to say , the whole iPhone "theme" thing is much better that you'd think , I can suddenly see how they would (almost) get away with selling fake iPhones running this ! It is fast , slick , and a joy to use - it looks feels like an iPhone !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFYUK0yfgPA

Of course this is just a "theme" on MIUI , which itself is like a theme on Android - now you'd think this would make things slow and laggy , but it doesn't !

All a bit silly ? Well , no ! It actually gives you the best of both worlds I feel - I have all my apps on the home screen just like iPhone , (no app drawer or anything ) ... but I can add all the Android widgets as normal , so its like iOS with widgets.

iPhone themes aside , MIUI in itself is , in my experience so far , a wonderful thing ! Much nicer and slicker than Vanilla Android and much better than any manufacturers skinned UI , and I am generally not a fan of skins and themes.

One thing to clarify , you feel like you are running a whole new OS , not some clunky skin over the top of an existing OS like Sense ! I urge anyone with a compatible device to give it a go.

Just be wary of the Chinese text ! when you first boot up it looks like everything is in chinese , but as you use the phone it all reverts to English , this seems to take some time , but after half an hour or so it seems to have all gone.

Ben
16th October 2011, 12:54 PM
Just be wary of the Chinese text ! when you first boot up it looks like everything is in chinese , but as you use the phone it all reverts to English , this seems to take some time , but after half an hour or so it seems to have all gone.
LOL! All by itself it just sort of... peters out?? That sounds... disconcerting!

miffed
16th October 2011, 12:56 PM
I don't know , maybe I just picked up the language subconsciously ? :)

Ben
16th October 2011, 01:17 PM
Love it :p

Very cool that the interface is working out well for you. Got to say, I'd be tempted to use it I think - I'm not a huge fan of the way stock Android 'works' and feels. Notifications were the one thing that grabbed me. As so often seems to be the case, you can create great things out of Android handsets. The problem is that the manufacturers haven't yet created something that's great out of the box (and I firmly believe that).

miffed
17th October 2011, 08:15 AM
OK Back to CM now ! I really liked the MIUI UI , but enough' s enough :)

One thing I hadn't really used on Android up until now was the "back up" thing (Nandroid ? ) - Because I almost look forward to setting up new (unknown) ROM's from scratch ,I had never really used it - in fact I don't think I ever used it at all ! , But this time , with a new device and all that I decided I had better start doing so, just maybe it would help me out of any holes I may fall into .

What I discovered is that , if like me , you like to try out new ROM's , it makes everything SO easy ! - I did a back up of my Cyanogenmod ROM when I flashed MIUI (was prompted to do so by ROM manager ) - When I went to restore from it , I noticed another , earlier Backup - and remembered I had backed up the Stock ROM (rooted) when I originally installed CM too .

So to cut a long story short I went from Fully set up installations of MIUI > Stock > CM7 in the space of a few minutes !

I really hadn't realised that this backing up was so quick , simple and comprehensive - it certainly takes some of the tediousness away from messing around (having to re- customise your ROM from scratch every time ) - I really wish I had realised this earlier !

gorilla
17th October 2011, 04:16 PM
I've used MIUI before but it wasn't very stable for me, but it did look great. I'm pretty settled on CM7 right now which is giving me great battery life.

Hands0n
17th October 2011, 09:08 PM
I also tried MIUI yesterday, pretty much prompted by a posting by Miffed. But I didn't like it very quickly and, using the same Clockwork ROM Manager as Miffed I restored my Cyanogen installation and went back to normality.

The newest MIUI is 1.9.2, updating from 1.9.16. It did seem quite stable for the short time I used it. When first installing you do need to reboot several times to allow MIUI to set up the correct language menus, and by default it did not start up the 3 APN or WiFi.

But for me, a significant negative for MIUI was its iPhone layout :) I do like Android, vanilla, and it did seem a bit perverse to convert my Android into an iPhone.

I was also irritated that MIUI did not restore all of my Android apps - it found ten of them that required me to install them manually, but the remaining apps were not discovered and I had to then try and recall what I was missing. Contrast that with CM7 which took all of about 15 minutes to install all of my apps from the Google cloud.