View Full Version : Tapatalk

spag
18th October 2011, 07:29 PM
Hi will this forum be available via tapatalk app for android?
It will be easy to browse from mobile

hecatae
18th October 2011, 09:17 PM
good point,

fully paid up tapatalk user here who would like to see this to

Ben
18th October 2011, 09:36 PM
No plans to implement this at the moment I'm afraid.

I had been considering the vBulletin app; the artwork is done, it just hasn't been put together and submitted.

Wilt
18th October 2011, 11:17 PM
Looks like a decision has already been made, but if it helps there's another vote for tapatalk here.

Any reason you don't want to implement it, if you don't mind me asking?

Ben
19th October 2011, 11:43 AM
Because the vBulletin app would be free. I don't like the idea of installing an add-on that people have to pay to utilise, yet the forum gets none of the proceeds.

That said, seems we've got a few users here. Convince me!

Wilt
19th October 2011, 12:56 PM
Because the vBulletin app would be free. I don't like the idea of installing an add-on that people have to pay to utilise, yet the forum gets none of the proceeds.

That said, seems we've got a few users here. Convince me!

Compatibility would be the major one, while I've not really looked at the vBulletin app, a quick look tells me that it is only available for iOS and Android. Which is good, at least it isn't iOS only.

But tapatalk has some third party apps using its apis on smaller platforms like webOS. There is the 'forums' app for the phones and the 'communities' app for the TouchPad. I don't have any experience with the phone app, the TouchPad app is great. I was initially sceptical whether I would even need it with a tablet since the browser can do most things on a decent sized screen but the experience is so much better.

I'm not sure whether there are any other third party apps on other platforms, but I wouldn't be surprised.

The official app for Android phones is also pretty nice and makes things much easier - and I can reverse the colours so there is a black background with white text, saving battery on my AMOLED screen. Although no doubt the vBulletin app can do stuff similar to this so I'm not going to dwell on it too much.

I used to have similar thoughts to you - why should I pay for an app when I can just use the web versions for free - but after using these apps for a while I'm fully converted.

Edit: Just had a little look, there is 'Board Express' for Windows Phone which uses the tapatalk system, so you pretty much have all of the major current OSes covered with Tapatalk.

Hands0n
20th October 2011, 12:11 AM
I am not a Tapatalk user but even I am persuaded :-)

gorilla
20th October 2011, 12:28 PM
This seems easy enough to install (See http://www.tapatalk.com/promotion.php) but I don't use it either but I do see it available on quite a lot of the forums I frequent.

What about a 30 day trial and then making a decision after that?

hecatae
20th October 2011, 08:13 PM
xda developers offer a free ad paid version for their site, and xda premium just for their site. which is just tapatalk under another name

DaveC
4th December 2011, 09:40 AM
Can I add a late entry to this debate.

This past couple of weeks I have been following all the Galaxy Nexus threads on XDA developers and it has been a real boon to be able to do that from my phone using TapTalk.
I simply do not find vBulletin that user friendly when it comes to mobile browsers.
More and more people are accessing the web from their phones and it seems that anything that makes this easier is a plus

So +1 for TapTalk

Ben
4th December 2011, 11:02 AM
Thanks; we're overdue some updates, as soon as I can get around to them I'll take a look at Tapatalk again.