View Full Version : Extortion, tortuous and utterly disgusting. An opinion of Three Network comportment.

Willzyx
1st November 2011, 08:35 AM
Snapping a SIM card after cancelling a contract actually feels really good. Of course, this relies on the proper context.

I decided to end my contract. Why? The signal was never that great in Ayrshire, Scotland. My monthly bill which should have been �25 always rounded up closer to �50. I was tired of the contract and wanted to switch network and use pay as you go services.

I dialled 333 first at 4:30pm. I stated my intent. I stated it again. I got involved in a deep philosophical discourse about the true value of money and my rights to spend mine as I wish i.e. footing the �100 to end my contract. It was 5pm when I hung up in frustration.

I dialled again, 6:20pm. I stated my intent consistently, without pause. Every three seconds I would repeat. "I want to end my contract". I provided the necessary details when asked but other than that I stated this sentence over and over for ten minutes while some annoying employee tried to sell me my three contract continuously. I felt like I had been robbed of my civil liberties. Was there a cultural problem? Are Three employees mentally handicapped in some way? I was at a loss. I handed the phone to my mother, a keen negotiator and asked her to try to reason with the man, or what I believe was a man, on the other end of this strange and worrying phone call.

My mother spoke to the employee for a further twenty minutes reiterating and stating her consumer rights. The employee constantly questioned the decision for so long that it felt like we were dealing with a child. It was sort of disgusting that we were being treated in a manner that would seem to undermine and make impotent the vocalization of ones will, which defeats the purpose of having a Three Service. What good is a service if they fail to provide service, let alone acknowledge the articulation of a request. At this point a hefty caller bill was amounting on top of my �100 bail out.

It took a full hour. My mother and I experienced much emotional turmoil but our ordeal was over.

I would have preferred this call...

Me:"I want to terminate my contract"
Employee:"Are you sure?"
Me:"Yes"
Employee:"Okay."

I didn't get that. At all.

I would recommend anyone who wishes to deal with these "people" to use language that shocks them into doing what you want. Perhaps threatening suicide or tell them you're of a higher caste might work.

I honestly don't know, but it would appear my experience is typical. I asked around.

miffed
1st November 2011, 09:13 AM
I have not had recent experience of Cancelling with three, but I have done with Vodafone and T-mobile - and while it was not as "torturous" as you describe , it never seemed to be as straightforward as it should be.

Maybe this is the next thing OFCOM should pull up the operators on ? I should imagine if anyone took a network to task over this, despite terms of cancellation in the contract outlining that you agree to jump through hoops to cancel , I suspect any court in the land would agree that after you have made reasonable effort to cancel in the manner you agreed (i.e. by a call to CS one month in advance) ... the rest is their problem !
When you call to cancel , you call to cancel - not negotiate , and the network should respond by simply accepting your notice , not trying to talk you into staying (at your cost ! )

gorilla
1st November 2011, 10:16 AM
There seems to be a lot of negative threads about 3 these days! I have ported away from three several times and while it has never been straight forward there was only one time when I didn't receive my PAC and the call centre seemed genuinely sorry about the "technical fault".
When I phone a call centre I generally state the reason why I'm on the call and then say nothing, waiting for their prepared statement to finish. I'm not much of a talker and if I'm asked a direct question I'll always say "no I don't want that!".

miffed
1st November 2011, 10:32 AM
^^ Yes , a lot of the time it is about being firm and not engaging , just like with any salesperson ! I do understand the frustrations though.

Ben
1st November 2011, 11:07 AM
Three's notoriously poor customer service strikes again! Really, I feel that if they could just get this right they'd be a great network in the face of the mediocre competition.

Cancelling seems a particular issue at the moment.

I'm surprised they didn't demand cancellation in writing. Yawn. I know they're very desperate not to lose customers but you can't keep everyone, some people just want/need to cancel a contract and Three agents are failing to appropriately identify these.

If I remember correctly, I cancelled my personal data a/c by email... :)

Hands0n
1st November 2011, 10:08 PM
Yes, when cancelling I NEVER, EVER, call the customer services. I merely write a polite email along the lines of "I wish to terminate my contract for number XXXXXXXXX on . My decision is irrevocable. Please write to confirm these instructions to you" and thats it. That has worked every single time, I later get a letter in the post stating how sorry they are to lose me etc.. I also get several calls from the mobile operator (Three, Vodafone, O2) which I ignore. On the due date the service stops. Job done.

Unless you want to go through the Retentions team, of whatever network you are trying to leave, it is best to avoid all verbal contact.