View Full Version : Apple continues to munch mobile industry profits

Ben
4th November 2011, 05:07 PM
Despite a sequential drop in iPhone sales in the third calendar quarter of 2011 as customers held out for the iPhone 4S, Apple once again seized over half of the profits generated by leading mobile phone manufacturers during the quarter, according to a new research report by Cannacord Genuity analyst T. Michael Walkley and shared by Forbes. According to the study's estimates, Apple raked in 52% of the overall profits during the quarter, down slightly from 57% in the second calendar quarter but up from 47% in the year-ago quarter that also had the then-new iPhone 4 on the market.

Continues... http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1269878

Yikes?

Wilt
4th November 2011, 05:54 PM
A bit like happened in the PC industry, I think I read in SJs biography they had something like 25% of industry profits for 5% market share? Something like that anyway. Apple need to either surrender their large profit margin or resign their mobile division to having the same fate as their macs.

Ben
4th November 2011, 06:00 PM
I think they'd rather maintain their margins.

It's not that they don't want healthy market share. They do. But they won't compete with 'inferior' products shipping at lower price points.

Inverted commas quite deliberate.