View Full Version : Mophie Juice Pack for iPhone

Ben
27th November 2011, 09:51 AM
Morning all!

I'm in Brussels at the moment. Knowing how I munch through my iPhone battery when I'm using it heavily, I decided to go for the Mophie Juice Pack after seeing it on the Apple Online Store during my recent flurry of purchasing activity ;)

I got it from Amazon as I have vouchers. It fits 4 and 4S nicely, and the red and, I think, black versions have a nice soft-touch finish. Apparently the white is just hard plastic so that's a bit of an avoid. I've got the red one, and with the silver trim around the outside I can safely say it does look good.

Looking good is one thing, but it's a huge device. But then it does house a ~1500mAh external battery. There's a little on-off switch and, when switched on, the iPhone basically thinks it's plugged in. I've decided to leave the Juice Pack on and let the iPhone drain it before dipping into the internal battery, as it starts to do towards the end of the external battery's life. I've opted for this way around to decrease the charge cycles on the internal battery, but you may wish to simply use the Juice Pack as a case and flick it on when the iPhone battery gets low for a quick recharge. To be honest, there are much nicer, smaller cases, so it makes sense to use up the external battery first and then cast it off if you want to.

Fitting and removal is super easy and doesn't feel like it'll damage/mark the phone in any way. There's a neat little battery indicator on the base, holes in the front for the iPhone speaker/mic, and a USB port for charging and syncing. You need never remove the iPhone from the case in theory, but as I've alluded to, this is most practical when used in situations where you know you'll need extra power and not as a day-to-day accessory. But I'll let you know how that goes...

I finished up on about 80% charge yesterday, after having been on the go from 5:15AM to 11:30PM, and using maps, emails, Facebook, Twitter, SMS/iMessage, Foursquare, Weather, and the camera quite a bit. I'd probably have run out the internal iPhone battery by late evening, or at least been very close to it.

So yes, this accessory is worth a look if you're a bit of an iPhone road warrior like me when you travel!