View Full Version : Orange increase monthly price plans

solo12002
28th November 2011, 01:21 PM
I note the following. I wonder whos next and how much more ppl who are on a pay freeze can accept given petrol/gas/oil and motoring costs have all gone up.

I dont think its a smart move by Orange at all:

http://www.mobiletoday.co.uk/News/13341/Angry_customers_besige_Orange_after_major_price_hi ke.aspx

Wilt
28th November 2011, 01:58 PM
I will expect line rental to be reduced if the RPI ever goes negative, then.

Operators shouldn't be able to do this.

DaveC
28th November 2011, 07:01 PM
Like the bit about T-Mobile won't follow suit this year. Well, next year is only 33 days away!

What happens to all that sign up in the next few weeks before Christmas - it's going to come as a shock in the new year.

Can anyone remember the last time there was an 'inflation' price rise for contract customers? One doesn't come to mind easily.

Wilt
28th November 2011, 09:13 PM
It's only happening for those who signed the contract before mid-September.

Vodafone recently increased charges for pay monthly customers, and I think Three did it for some of their data tariffs a while back. So it's not new, but I think it is the largest increase seen for mid-contact increases.

I think EE will see how many customers they lose from Orange because of this over the next 6 months, and if it isn't too bad then they'll give it a go on T-Mobile.

Hands0n
28th November 2011, 10:49 PM
The mobile network operators are making handsome profits, and have been for many years. It is a very cynical move by Orange to raise its prices at this particular time, just when not only the economy but also the general public are being squeezed really hard. The thing is, unlike gas and electricity, mobile telephony is a disposable luxury and not an essential.

Short term gain, Orange will not do well out of this move. It is this kind of thing that makes even the most loyal (read laziest) customer start to think about alternatives.

Ben
28th November 2011, 11:55 PM
This is hilarious. RPI is a measure of inflation. You don't increase your own prices just because RPI itself is high; the rate itself is blended, some of the items assessed increase in cost while others decrease.

Have Orange's costs to supply really increased by 4.34%?