View Full Version : O2 coverage gets a Boostbox

Ben
1st December 2011, 06:29 PM
O2 have started sending out trial units of their upcoming femtocell, the Boostbox.

A brief online manual can be found on O2's website here: http://www.o2.co.uk/assets2/business/enterprise/documents/9807_QSG_Guide_105x105Home.pdf

While looking slightly different, the O2 Boostbox is exactly the same product as the Vodafone Sure Signal, also manufactured by Alcatel-Lucent. They've just played around with the external shell a bit.

All of the operators should offer these, but the one I think it'd bring the most joy to is Three. I think I'd actually switch my primary number (and so my iPhone) to Three if they'd bring one out.

Wilt
1st December 2011, 09:36 PM
If Three offered these then I would buy one in a flash. I generally have good signal around the house but there are some rooms in the centre where I can sometimes struggle due to poor wall penetration.

I think Three might be reluctant due to the PR implications - they already get enough stick for poor signal without people starting to claim you will definitely need to buy your own femtocell to get any signal.

However now that two networks have stuck their necks out and risked it, the others will hopefully follow suit.

miffed
1st December 2011, 10:17 PM
What would be really cool , would be to make some really big , powerful ones of these and put them on the top of long poles all over towns and cities ,
Whaddya reckon ?

Wilt
1st December 2011, 10:32 PM
What would be really cool , would be to make some really big , powerful ones of these and put them on the top of long poles all over towns and cities ,
Whaddya reckon ?

Nah, much better for the bottom line if customers pay for them and the backhaul.

Ben
1st December 2011, 11:29 PM
Funny isn't it; in principle there's nothing right about femtocells in the kind of application they're being used for. But the reality is a little different - at the end of the day it's a quick and effective fix to a problem that's always going to exist to some degree (though I think we would all agree it should be less of a problem than it is).

I think this new generation of femtocells from Alcatel-Lucent is a bit of a boost to the cause.

getti
7th December 2011, 10:02 PM
https://talk3g.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=1178&d=1323295310

Look whats found its way into my bedroom ;)

Ben
8th December 2011, 02:47 AM
Do we likey?