View Full Version : O2 SIM in a 3 MiFi

Phil
7th February 2012, 10:42 AM
Hi Folks, I successfully unlocked my 3 (H3G) branded WiFi last year but didn't have a SIM with a data plan so couldn't check it. My Orange SIM (when inserted) showed fine on the display, ie it didn't say blocked, invalid or anything else etc so I know the MiFi was properly unlocked. I now have a new O2 SIM with a monthly data contract (not PAYG) and would like to be able to use this in my WiFi.

My trouble is, it won't connect to the network automatically or manually. The MiFi allows the SIM to talk to the network in that is doesn't say its blocked, but it can't connect to the data. I can set up new profiles but am not sure what settings to use. I don't seem to have the ability to enter an APN, only profile name, username, password. See pic (screenshot) http://dl.dropbox.com/u/60558364/MiFi.jpg

I've found this page with various network settings, but can't currently get them to work http://www.filesaveas.com/gprs.html

Can anyone help me with any pointers as to what settings etc I need please?

Ben
7th February 2012, 11:21 AM
Hi Phil,

Are you able to change the APN radio button to Static and then enter an APN? Or is the box still greyed out?

Phil
7th February 2012, 12:29 PM
Hi Ben, I can change that - guess I missed that one - can't see the wood for the trees sometimes! Do you know what settings I should use? I can also change the IP address one as well.

Ben
7th February 2012, 08:41 PM
The IP address should be fine left as-is.

I think the APN details are:
three.co.uk
no username no password

Phil
7th February 2012, 08:55 PM
Crossed wires I think Ben, I'm trying to get my O2 SIM to connect so I'm guessing I need to configure the APN for O2 not H3G? I've not yet tried it again now that you've pointed out the obvious APN issue that I failed to spot!

Ben
8th February 2012, 12:44 PM
Sorry ;) One of several brain lapses that occurred yesterday!

Yeah, drop in the O2 APN settings from filesaveas and you should be good to go... let us know :)

Phil
8th February 2012, 03:36 PM
Yup, that worked a treat - guess I should have taken more notice of the settings when I first read the page!
Thanks for your help anyway, even if it was just for me to point out to myself how much of a biff I was!!

Job jobbed as they say!

PS Posting using it so I know it works!

Ben
8th February 2012, 06:26 PM
That's great news! What sort of speeds are you seeing?