View Full Version : Settlement reached in iPhone 4 antennagate suit, from cnet

hecatae
18th February 2012, 04:01 PM
http://news.cnet.com/8301-27076_3-57380685-248/settlement-reached-in-iphone-4-antennagate-suit/

As part of a preliminary approval made this afternoon, U.S. residents who bought Apple's iPhone 4 will be entitled to $15 in cash or a bumper case provided by Apple

So the rest of the world not have these problems then? :rolleyes:

The settlement has its own Web site, www.iPhone4Settlement.com, which will be up in the coming weeks (the site doesn't go anywhere right now). There, customers will be able to get information about the settlement and how to make a claim. As part of the arrangement, e-mails will also be sent alerting original buyers to the settlement before April 30, 2012. The claims period is then open for 120 days.

Anyone got an opinion, wife has a white Iphone 4 so I've never seen this issue

miffed
18th February 2012, 04:32 PM
I've got one - absolutely ridiculous ! Got an iPhone 4 and never had any issues , FFS everyone knew about the probs from day one (giving them the opportunity not to buy) and even those that did were given the option to return it.
The idea that a purchasers of a phone (or any device for that matter) that suffers from a (negligible ?) compromise in performance should receive compensation is a joke - if the thing was entirely unfit for purpose then fair enough (still laughable though after the "fault" was widely publicised and the offer to return was there ) - but f*** me pretty much every phone I've ever had has suffered from some kind of performance issue or design fault !! ...only no-one cared until Apple came along - And now everything has to be perfect it seems :D

Hands0n
18th February 2012, 05:20 PM
This really is yet another example of the Americans over reacting to a non-event. As Miffed says, there was plenty of remediation on offer at the time. I truly hope this twaddle doesn't reach these shores. Surely we still have some British reserve in this nation. I still have my "antennagate" iPhone 4 and it has worked flawlessly since day one. Sure, it is not as good at pulling in a signal as some of my other mobile phones, but it is wholly more than adequate and completely fit for purpose.

And that is no fanboisspeak, it is simple and auditable fact. Grr, bah and humbug.

gorilla
18th February 2012, 06:22 PM
My better half's iPhone 4 is a disaster and is about to get sold. It suffers from antennagate and absolutely atrocious battery life. I've never had a phone give me so much hassle and it's not even my phone!

Ben
20th February 2012, 12:37 PM
It actually drops calls? Is it in a case?

The battery life issue is interesting... surely faulty if it's that bad after going down the route of a full restore.

I think this US case is rather obscene. If memory serves me correctly, the 3GS had a return rate of about 3%? The 'antennagate' iPhone 4 had a 1.5% return rate. I don't excuse Apple for the design issue, and I'm pleased it was rectified, but I do think the offerings they made at the time were sufficient to protect affected customers from experiencing any real loss.