View Full Version : T-Mobile consumer 3G

Malboro Man
28th June 2005, 11:35 AM
I've just seen on The Link's website that T-Mobile's 3G service is listed as 'coming soon'. A quick call to its customer services got the reply, 'It's coming in the next couple of months'.

Anyone heard anything else? I reckon it's about time...

3GScottishUser
28th June 2005, 11:42 AM
The network has be operating for ages..... I used it in January 2004!

Perhaps they want to make absolutely sure it works as well as their GSM network. Having watched previous 3G implementations T-Mobile and others will be keen to avoid anything similar - quite rightly!

Malboro Man
28th June 2005, 11:47 AM
I meant consumer 3G services (Internet in your Pocket or whatever they're calling it) - I realise the 3G datacards aimed at business users have been around for a while...

Ben
28th June 2005, 11:49 AM
AFAIK you've actually been able to use the T-Mobile 3G network if you have a 3G handset... just not officially!

3GScottishUser
28th June 2005, 12:02 PM
Thought that..... They upgraded a lot of roadside masts last year around here and they have a fair amount of coverage. Are'nt T-Mobile supplying Nokia 6630's now?

They have been keen to combine GPRS/UMTS/Wi-Fi into one product for some time - perhaps that is why they are delaying their '3G specific' tarriffs.

Malboro Man
28th June 2005, 12:10 PM
6630s were announced in February, but I understood that customers still connected over GPRS. If T-Mobile isn't updating Sims to UMTS or whatever, surely subscribers are simply using a 3G-compatible handset on a GPRS network?

Am I wrong, and T-Mobile has enabled Sims for 3G connection with 6630 handsets, but just hasn't announced any tariff changes? Or is the above the case. I'm starting to get confused now...

Jon3G
28th June 2005, 12:11 PM
Thats true, the 6630 has been out for about 4 months on T Mobile.

Ben
28th June 2005, 01:05 PM
The 6630 may have been specifically connected on 2.5G, but some time back you could definitely put some T-Mobile SIM cards into SIM-Free 3G handsets and utilise the 3G network. I don't think you could video call... It all seems like so long ago!

Jon3G
28th June 2005, 02:12 PM
We also have t mobile sims for areas of our business and I got hold of one the other week and put it in my 6680 - 3G coverage lasted for about 2 mins then dropped off, it would suggest that the sims that some people have are not 3G supported.