View Full Version : I need a phone!

Ben
6th March 2012, 12:45 PM
Calling all Talk3Gers!

I need to get an additional line as an out of hours/emergency contact. This presents the perfect opportunity to buy an interesting phone!

There's absolutely nothing on the market at the moment that inspires me enough to buy it, so I'm coming to you for ideas. Any suggestions? I'll consider absolutely anything, and will review it thoroughly for Talk3G for good measure.

gorilla
6th March 2012, 12:59 PM
Interesting. Is this intended to be a cheaper PAYG phone or do you want a full on smartphone?

I'd agree with you though that the market is a bit lackluster at the moment.

Ben
6th March 2012, 04:09 PM
Up for anything to be honest!

So far I've considered anything from a JCB phone (lol) to a Nokia N9 (bigger lol). It doesn't need to do anything in particular, so it can be anything! :D

3GScottishUser
6th March 2012, 05:00 PM
Wait until next month and get a Huawei Quad Core Android phone with ICS. That should prove an interesting device and would do everything you would ever need probably!

Hands0n
6th March 2012, 08:50 PM
If you're really up for "anything" then I'd suggest lashing out £150 for a Vodafone PAYG Nokia Lumia 710 and get your head around Windows Phone 7. It really does grow on you after a while, once the paradigm sinks in it is actually quite 'interesting' really.

Or if you've a few bob more then sink the funds into a Lumia 800 - there is a software update due out any day now that is reputed to extend the battery life by five times. Now if it does that it is likely that you'll get an entire week on a single charge!! I managed four days ten hours on a single charge with moderate use (it really does not multi-task at all you know) with the Lumia 710 and the Gil Sander (LG E906) devices.

Ben
6th March 2012, 11:55 PM
If they can fix up the battery usage on the Lumia 800 then that'd probably be a lot of fun... give me a yell if you hear more on that software update?

Can Huawei really pull off top-end? I'd probably make a good judge of that. I just expect it to be like a HTC; more soulless plastic, even if it does run Android well. Hmm.

hecatae
7th March 2012, 11:28 AM
http://nokiapoweruser.com/2012/03/06/lumia-800-software-update-1600-2487-8107-12070-now-available-through-zune/

Lumia 800 software update 1600.2487.8107.12070 now available through Zune :)

Hands0n
8th March 2012, 09:10 PM
Ben, the battery life on the Lumia seems to be a bit of a gamble between operator brands. The GSM SIM-free Lumia 800 that I bought has demonstrated very good battery life on standby, today it has been 14 hours on and still 77% remaining. But I have hardly used it. Joe Cronin (Brando/Three) gets a full day on his and he is on it almost all of the time.

The problem seems to be strongly related to the current draw that the Lumia 800 makes when being used. I have mine right now with the screen lit and it is pulling 134 mA which from a 1341 mAh battery means that I could expect not much more than 10 hours life. But in normal use the phone goes into standby with the screen off and the radios reduced in power, hence the long standby life.

The new software update is reported to give up to three times longer ife - so that is 30 hours with the screen on!! Something no other smartphone is likely to be able to compete with.

I will report back when the update has been received.

miffed
8th March 2012, 09:54 PM
Speaking of interesting devices, behold the only Blackberry I have ever fancied ..... stupidly expensive though

http://www.expansys.com/blackberry-porsche-design-p9981-227527/

...As for what you should buy , well surely it has to be a windows phone ? You haven't done that yet have you ?

Ben
9th March 2012, 12:08 AM
That Porsche Design P’9981 looks really interesting miffed! Alas, I'm not going to spend that sort of money. But it does look like a thoroughly nice Blackberry! I'd actually be tempted if it weren't for the price.

Yes I think Windows Phone would be a good way to go, and no I haven't done that yet. I do feel I need to experience it 'first hand'. Hands0n - an update on the Lumia 800 battery life would be great, thanks :)

hecatae
9th March 2012, 12:03 PM
Speaking of interesting devices, behold the only Blackberry I have ever fancied ..... stupidly expensive though

http://www.expansys.com/blackberry-porsche-design-p9981-227527/

...As for what you should buy , well surely it has to be a windows phone ? You haven't done that yet have you ?

It's cheaper direct from Porsche:

https://onlineshop.porsche-design.com/de/produkte/detail/cat/communication/product/smartphone-from-blackberryR.html

Only €1475 Euros, think that may be cheaper than a Vertu.

strange that Expansys wish to charge the equivalent of €1942 Euros for the same device

Ben
9th March 2012, 04:41 PM
strange that Expansys wish to charge the equivalent of €1942 Euros for the same device
Expansys? A rip-off? Neverrr :p

Hands0n
9th March 2012, 09:57 PM
Hands0n - an update on the Lumia 800 battery life would be great, thanks :)

Ask and thou shalt receive :D

The gods at mount Nokia must have heard you Ben. For only today has the update of the Nokia Lumia 800 firmware been made widely available ahead of the formal OTA that is being stage-released around the world. The new firmware is version 1600.2487.8107.12070 - it does not remove any branding but updates all the relevant bits that are important.

Prior to the update the average battery drain on my Lumia 800 was hovering around 135mA which from a total battery capacity of 1362mAh means that the average life of a charge would be around 10 hours.

After the update the average battery drain is around 70mA which delivers a charge life of 19 hours, a significant improvement.

That is with the phone in some moderate use. On standby the current draw drops to 12mA which delivers a staggering 113 hours standby (that is 4.7 days!). Unheard of in smartphone circles.

Like all such matters, how much you really get depends entirely on the use you make of the device.

Manual Update How To
For full details of how to update your Nokia Lumia 800 to the latest version, complete with links to all the files you will need, go to this link here --> http://nokiainnovation.com/2012/03/guide-how-to-get-the-latest-lumia-800-update-now/

Ben
16th March 2012, 11:09 PM
I don't have that software version... and it's saying there's nothing new available. Can I do this update on the Mac? Very keen to have the latest and greatest before I get too comfortable...

Hands0n
17th March 2012, 01:13 AM
Ah, so you have the beast do you?

You are going to have to borrow a Windows machine or do this in Windows under a VM like Parallels or VM Ware or VirtuaBox. The Mac utility is called Windows Phone 7 Connector For Mac (see http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/windows-phone-7-connector/id415571499?mt=12 ) will bring down and install OTA update, yes they are still tethered updates as iPhone was until iOS 5. But it won't let you install locally downloaded CAB files.

I do really advise updating to the 1600.2487.8107.12070 firmware. You won't enjoy the problems that exist in the previous versions.

Ben
18th March 2012, 03:38 PM
Was worried there for a minute, but yes after a whole at 400mA mine is now pulling 87mA. Much less than I ever saw before.

That update, however, was hell thanks to Windows 7. Took me three goes to install Zune.

Why this update isn't being pushed out via the official app as an emergency is totally beyond me.

Hands0n
18th March 2012, 08:42 PM
Glad you got the update done Ben, it was completely essential though, especially for the sake of the battery as you have seen for yourself. Mine is pulling a similar amount of current and the Battery Saver is saying that in 10 hours off charge there remains 65% battery life remaining with a predicted 1 day 18 hours remaining. That is extraordinary for a modern day smartphone - although possibly not so much for a smartphone that does not allow apps to run in the background

The end user experience is the first and foremost important characteristic of Windows Phone 7. An extra emphasis during the design of the phone was placed on making sure that applications do not drain the battery. Therefore, WP doesn’t allow your application to run code in a background process, which means your application can’t poll some web service for information.

Source: http://channel9.msdn.com/Learn/Courses/WP7TrainingKit/WP7Silverlight/UsingPushNotificationsLab

Nokia's global push of this update is bizarre to say the least. They started in Singapore and are supposedly rotating around to the rest of the planet over a period of time. I can only imagine that Nokia think that folk have lived with the issues for so long that a few more weeks/months won't do any harm.

Now that you're on this code you'll have the best current experience of the Nokia Lumia 800, untainted by the horrendous problems that have plagued the Lumia 800 since its arrival. I can't wait to see your full experience chronicled here :)

Wilt
18th March 2012, 09:06 PM
Those battery figures are unbelievable - I was very close to pulling the trigger on a Lumia 800 when it was first released, but decided against it due to the reported issues.

You'll have to let us know how it goes Ben, still interested in getting a Lumia but it's being beaten by the Xperia S at the moment.

Ben
22nd March 2012, 03:03 AM
For anyone who didn't spot it earlier, my experiences are now documented in this review (https://talk3g.co.uk/content.php?229-Review-Nokia-Lumia-800-with-Windows-Phone-7). I hope you enjoy reading about my time with the Lumia 800 - no doubt I was coming at it from my own particular angle and I've made no attempt to emulate the sort of phone reviews that are so common online these days.

The handset has now gone back to Amazon. :(

Which begs the question... what to try next? ;) Who makes the best Android handset at the moment - is it really the Galaxy Nexus from Samsung? I like the idea of a Motorola but I think it'll be some time before Google's acquisition bares fruit. I may have to look at the mid-range bracket, as it'd be great to have something without a massive screen but that is still well spec'd, thin, and capable. Not to mention thoroughly charming!

hecatae
22nd March 2012, 01:44 PM
Hm, you already have an ipad, so a phablet like the Galaxy note wont interest you, Sony Xperia S?

Ben
22nd March 2012, 01:59 PM
Funny you should mention the Sony Xperia S. I'm intrigued to be sure, but I've heard that it's not exactly as 'premium' feeling as all the blurb would have you imagine and falls a little short... of course, that's just the 'run of the mill' review stops, doesn't mean my opinion wouldn't be different. It's a contender to be sure; I'll get onto the highstreet over the next few days and see if I can find one to fiddle with. Thanks :)

Sony always made intriguing handsets before SE, but they were bad as actual phones. Hopefully the Ericsson heritage will remain and we'll see more masterful designs that can still make a decent call as a result.

Hands0n
22nd March 2012, 10:39 PM
I'm scared to make another suggestion :d

The Galaxy Nexus makes a good partner to the iPhone 4 (not S) and I use it in almost equal proportions to the iPhone. Certainly there are aspects to Android that are not matched in iOS, WP7 or BB OS. The "openness" of Android allows apps that cannot be had elsewhere, particularly useful if you are of a technical bent and want tools that are only otherwise available on PCs (Windows and OS X).

Ben
23rd March 2012, 12:00 PM
I loved the Lumia in a way ;) Very glad I tried it.

Yeah, an appeal of Android is definitely that it has established itself as the Windows of the phone world, with a broad array of apps capable of an even broader array of functions. What's putting me off about the Nexus is a) Samsung and b) the sheer size. Ok, maybe the iPhone screen is a little on the small side, but Samsung and co are taking things to the extreme.

miffed
23rd March 2012, 12:34 PM
No I think the Galaxy Note not the nexus is the best Android phone on the planet - but if you are squeamish about screen size it really isn't for you !

How about giving the HTC Evo 3D a punt ? Asda are still knocking them out for £229 (they must have LOADS !!)

hecatae
23rd March 2012, 06:09 PM
£207 for a HTC Evo 3D http://direct.asda.com/HTC-Evo-3D-Android-Mobile-Phone/008718410,default,pd.html

Hands0n
23rd March 2012, 10:39 PM
£207 for a HTC Evo 3D http://direct.asda.com/HTC-Evo-3D-Android-Mobile-Phone/008718410,default,pd.html

Hmmmm, be careful out there

This item is available for ordering however it will not be despatched until stock is received in our warehouse

hecatae
24th March 2012, 03:49 PM
people who ordered yesterday are getting dispatch emails today