View Full Version : Missed Calls on Orange 3G - You can Help!

Ben
28th June 2005, 01:47 PM
If you experience a situation where you receive a missed call alert or answerphone message while in 3G coverage on Orange but your phone did not ring out, then please follow these steps:

Write down:
Date & Time of incident - if you got a missed call alert then the date/time on the text should be a good indication!
Get hold of the person calling's network/phone provider name. If it's a mobile they were calling from, was it 2G or 3G? Contract or PAYG? It may even help to get their phone number.
Postcode of the person calling and the postcode you are in. Hassle, yes, but there are online services like http://maps.google.co.uk/ that can help you.

When you've got what you need, call 350 and provide all the above details to the operator asking them to be sent to Technical Support.

Orange are doing pretty extensive work at the moment by the sound of it to weed out these remaining problems. Please help if you can!

Jon3G
28th June 2005, 03:30 PM
Ben

Have you had this happen with your sim free 6680, I have been using my Orange sim for a few weeks now and had no issues with this. I am just interested to know if it happens with all Orange 3G phones and sim free.

Ben
28th June 2005, 04:26 PM
Indeed I have, but no problems for a few days now. It's definitely a network issue, not a handset one, and it seems to vary from cell to cell.

Jon3G
28th June 2005, 04:45 PM
I will watch out for it and capture the data needed for Orange, that is if they will support my non orange 6680 ;)

Ben
8th July 2005, 09:49 PM
Got one! Mwuhahaha! Reported it at 19:10 tonight, so the issue is open again with technical support. It'd been fine for a few weeks too since the cell was reset! Looks like the issue remains :( Infuriating stuff! When it all works fine it's absolutely fantastic but the minute it all starts going tits up it makes me want to scream - given that it has been like this since August 04 (though a lot worse then).

Hands0n
8th July 2005, 10:37 PM
@Ben - I get this with my 2.5G handset on Orange, I am not convinced that it is a 3G-only problem. I'll be sat there with full bars on the handset, and then the Voicemail ringtone will come through and I've got to go collect the message and ring the caller back! My lad also on Orange 2.5G gets the same from time to time.

Ben
8th July 2005, 10:43 PM
Totally report it! Orange are a great network, but this fault is inexcusable. At least I can call 350... I had the fault sent off to technical support within 3 minutes of it happening - and it would have been quicker if the CSR wasn't totally zoned out.

Hands0n
8th July 2005, 10:56 PM
Hmmmm, I'll bear that in mind the next time it happens and give them a call on 350. It has always irritated me, happened on my T610 and subsequently my SPV C-500 so it aint the phone/s. I'd be interested in hearing what they say to you about the problem - if they do get back to you.

Ben
8th July 2005, 11:23 PM
Well, the last time they called me back and said they'd done some work so were going to close the ticket, but told me what details they needed if it happened again. Impressively, that was all noted on my account *for once* and the CSR knew exactly what details were required after reading it all.

I've never had this problem on Orange 2G though I have to say, not on my Nokias anyway... can't remember about the T610. The T610 was a bloody useless phone though it has to be said, apart from CAR-100 ;) Seriously.. CAR-100... woah!

Ben
21st July 2005, 05:07 PM
Nailed another one today! Happened in Canterbury City Centre this time. Starting to grate on me *ever so slightly* now :D At this rate I'm going to have to report every cell site I use!

fat jez
21st July 2005, 07:38 PM
I used to get that when I was on the initial user trial with a Nokia 6650. I neded up switching it to 2G, since I was missing to many work calls.

Cheers,
Jez

Jon3G
23rd July 2005, 08:18 AM
Who did you trial that phone with?

fat jez
23rd July 2005, 10:08 AM
Who did you trial that phone with?

Sorry, thought as we were discussing dropped calls on Orange, you would have assumed that was who the trial was with. It was fed back to the Trials team at Orange at the time, via the trials website, http://www.trials.orange.co.uk

Cheers,
Jez

Jon3G
23rd July 2005, 10:39 AM
Fully aware of the team, didnt think the 6650 had ever been tested by Orange

Ben
23rd July 2005, 12:37 PM
It was tested, but not by customers I don't think... 3g-g has one unless I'm very mistaken, still uses it now, so must be a pretty robust little number!

fat jez
23rd July 2005, 12:58 PM
the 6650 was used to trial the 3G network, pre-launch. I'm pretty certain that the trial customers would have had one too. Basically a 2G handset in terms of features with a 3G radio inside.

Oops, looks like my occupation's been rumbled ;)

Cheers,
Jez

Jon3G
23rd July 2005, 11:47 PM
seems like a cool little handset

fat jez
24th July 2005, 01:07 AM
seems like a cool little handset

Hardly little ;)

Size

* Weight: 141 g (with Li-Ion battery)
* Dimensions: 133 x 52 x 25 mm, 123 cc

http://www.nokia.com/nokia/0,8764,3162,00.html

Cheers,
Jez

LeMotor
28th July 2005, 06:19 PM
My phone is a Sanyo S750 and I had also dropped calls, when I was abroad and I was using the foreign network !
But what is another problem with Orange is I can't divert incoming calls to a number abroad...e.g. Germany! Even I use a "+" or "00.." for the country code! I've spoken with 350CS, but
they couldn't help me at all...they had no answer "why?"!
Is there anybody who may can help?

Martin3G
28th July 2005, 07:30 PM
According to Orange it is not possible to divert calls to international numbers.

I'm not sure if any mobile operators allow it :confused:

LeMotor
29th July 2005, 10:55 AM
Before Orange I was with Three and Vodafone and it was possible to divert to an international number...also I'm with T-Mobile Germany and I can divert to my Orange number... :(
Because I'm a frequent traveller I should consider to go back to one of them...or, does someone know how it is with O2?

Ben
29th July 2005, 02:00 PM
It may be beneficial for you to start a new thread about diverting calls to international numbers here: https://talk3g.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=93

This thread is specifically about missed calls on Orange 3G, a problem caused by a fault on the Orange network, but posting instead in the General Discussion area may yield a fuller discussion of your problem.

dgilbert2
25th August 2005, 08:56 PM
I know this thread is a few weeks old now but it made me realise that the missed call thing is exactly what is happening to me now when in Derby.

I've read elsewhere that it might be to do with switching 2G to 3G or the other way round. (Phones in shirt pocket so phone regularly switches 2G/3G even when you can see the mast outside!!)

At home, can only get 2G signal, it does seem OK then.

Anyway, dont know why it happens but it still does!

Ben
25th August 2005, 09:24 PM
Please do report them when it happens. It *is* a technical fault and it *is* far worse on Orange than on any other network - despite some people trying to pass it off as a normal and accepable part of the 2G/3G handover. I had another text the other day from Orange notifying me that my complaint had been escalated within technical and someone would phone me.... I doubt that :D

The more reports of faults we can give them the better chance of a dependable network we get.

Edit: Just thought I'd ring to follow up that text. It has been noted that multiple people are suffering the same problem and it has been escalated. Log 'em like crazy folks!