View Full Version : Do you 'close' your iOS apps?

Ben
31st March 2012, 02:01 AM
Well, do you?

I know of a few people who regularly, systematically open the app tray and close all open apps one by one. I never do this unless I need to quit an app for some specific reason and view it as a complete waste of time... I also feel no ill effects. I'm curious to hear other experiences.

miffed
31st March 2012, 07:56 AM
Only time I close anything is when I have a problem with an App freezing , and then I think "hmm, perhaps I should close these 1,423 others ?" I think I'd like to see a "close all" option as when I do this it seems to take ages.

Hands0n
31st March 2012, 11:25 AM
Ditto Miffed. I never close an app, I never reboot the iPhone (or Android for that matter) unless there is a problem to hand. That happens from time to time, some apps are worse than others. But generally I leave it to the 21st century operating system to take care of such matters for me. This isn't Symbian, after all :)

Ben
1st April 2012, 01:24 PM
Where on Earth are all these religious app closes, hmm? I know you're out there!

Wilt
1st April 2012, 05:29 PM
I thought there was no point closing apps on iOS due to the way it handles multitasking?

Hands0n
1st April 2012, 11:21 PM
I thought there was no point closing apps on iOS due to the way it handles multitasking?

Yup, and the same applies to Android. Both OS are quite capable of handling the multitasking and backgrounding of apps. But where developers introduce various bugs, most notably around in-app memory management, problems begin to occur. The apps themselves become unstable or unresponsive. They may crash entirely. Rarely will they crash the host OS though - although it has been seen before also.

So, the actual need to close an app is entirely redundant on iOS. Generally :)

gorilla
2nd April 2012, 12:29 PM
I close apps sometimes, but generally I never bother. I find iOS does a good job of managing 'open' apps.

Anyway, you may want to read "Misconceptions About iOS Multitasking (http://speirs.org/blog/2012/1/2/misconceptions-about-ios-multitasking.html)" which does a good job of summing it up.

I do get the impression that people (me included) look at open apps like they've left the tap running!

miffed
2nd April 2012, 12:36 PM
My feeling is that for the large part , multitasking was only ever a stick to beat Apple with clutched at by the Apple hate brigade anyway.

Sajjad Rahman
29th April 2012, 06:56 PM
I never close the apps, but then again I do restart them every night to face any problems with performance. :D