View Full Version : Samsung SIM-Free customers last to receive updates

Ben
11th April 2012, 09:37 AM
Blames delay on need for SIM-Free devices to work on any given network...

Some networks, including O2 and Three, have already pushed out the Ice Cream Sandwich update of Android. So what about owners of SIM-free models? It seems you'll be at the back of the queue.

Unusual, to say the least. As a rule, SIM-free handsets are the first to get upgrades, as they don't have to wait for all the network testing that takes place before contract users get an update. However, in this case, Samsung is coming at it from a different angle.

The Korean company is waiting for all the networks to roll out its updates to be sure Ice Cream Sandwich is working across the board. That could be a long wait if one network drags its feet.

Simon Stanford, VP of telecommunications and networks for Samsung UK & Ireland explained: 'We work in conjunction with our partners to bring ICS to the existing base - that's primarily what needs to happen, whatever network operator that may be. In this particular instance, the open market variant [ie SIM-free] you would expect to come out first.'

But he added: 'As an open-market customer you will be on a variety of networks, so it's got to work on whichever network you have chosen.'

It makes sense, but it is certainly going to annoy people who have paid out to get these kind of updates first. So when can SIM-free owners expect to see Ice Cream Sandwich?

Stanford doesn't offer a specific date. 'We're really pushing it hard over the next coming weeks' was the reply.

As for future devices, well it looks like Samsung is going to be carrying on with a similar approach, but the company 'wants to level the playing field so everyone gets the update around the same time'. Makes sense. Let's just hope those updates come just a little quicker than ICS.
http://www.mobilechoiceuk.com/News/SIM-free+Samsung+Galaxy+S+II+last+to+get+updated/6737

A valid point or yet another reason to burn Samsung at the stake?

miffed
11th April 2012, 09:56 AM
Terrible state of affairs , but not unique to Samsung - I had a nightmare of a time updating my HTC 7 pro , the days of SIM free= first inline for updates seem well and truly over.
Things have come a long way for the masses , and now your average joe the otherwise wouldn't have bothered updating his firmware now gets it practically done for him (eventually) ... But myself , as a user that would make a point of being up to date I feel like things are going backwards - and I actually long for the days of Windows Mobile , where the day the update was published I could just download the RUU File , run it on my PC and enjoy the new firmware.

Ben
11th April 2012, 10:27 AM
I actually long for the days of Windows Mobile
Know what you mean, I long for the days of iOS. Wait... ;)

Operator branding was, is, and always will be a curse. Yet the operators remain entirely blind to the absolute waste of time and money it is, believing, still, that they own the customer and that it is their responsibility to 'add value'.

Hands0n
11th April 2012, 11:00 AM
Operator branding was, is, and always will be a curse. Yet the operators remain entirely blind to the absolute waste of time and money it is, believing, still, that they own the customer and that it is their responsibility to 'add value'.

I agree totally, hence my post on Talk3G about the same subject, different OS --> https://talk3g.co.uk/showthread.php?9379-Mobile-Network-Operators-The-Making-or-Breaking-of-a-Mobile-Phone

To date, it is only Apple that have been able to stand up to the Mobile Network Operators. All of the other manufacturers have been too chicken to do so. But if the days of MNO subsidy start to wane then I can see the manufacturers taking a stronger line.

But meanwhile, at the very least, it would be a better experience for the customers buying non-subsidised SIM-free handsets for the manufacturers to release the OS updates promptly, and follow up with service patches as they find problems with specific MNOs. Samsung's current stance is completely arse about face!

gorilla
11th April 2012, 01:55 PM
Do ordinary people want or know about Android 4? I don't know, but I don't think this is an issue for the masses.

For the geeks, well you can root. My GF replaced her iPhone 4 with the SG2 and I finally got round to rooting it yesterday and putting CM9 on it. Yes, it was a bit of a faff, (I needed a windows PC) but it only took about an hour in total and now any future updates will be a breeze. (FYI I used super one click and Odin, flashed CM9 from ClockworkMod).

We've all agreed on here for a long time that operator firmware should be fought against, but we live in a capitalist world and these guys have the financial clout to demand and get what they want. If consumers care about this they have options e.g. google nexus, iPhone both of which can be had on competitive contracts.

hecatae
11th April 2012, 02:59 PM
I've yet to even see Android 4, still using Froyo here

Hands0n
11th April 2012, 05:26 PM
If consumers care about this they have options e.g. google nexus, iPhone both of which can be had on competitive contracts.

Well that is absolutely true. But I always wonder about "representative groups", always accepting that people like us lot on here are not really a sufficiently large group to have any major significance. We are, however, a vocal minority and the more that the ordinary Joe comes into contact with Forums and social media I can't help that they will develop a savviness that will ultimately challenge the current status quo.

Samsung themselves seem to be putting around a certain amount of FUD in respect to holding SIM-free back until all of the MNO-branded updates are out in the wild. It is irritating.

I hope that more manufacturers (outside of Apple and Google) produce "Nexus" equipment that does not bend of operator branding. Although, like WP7 in the article I've linked to, it seems that MNOs can still get in the way of reasonable and sensible progress.

Maybe there isn't an answer after all, other than going for an independent ROM such as Cyanogen or one of the other populists out there.

miffed
11th April 2012, 06:00 PM
Am I missing something ? The whole thing has been turned on its backside ! The whole allure of Generic firmware has always been that it has not been violated by Operator whims - am I now to understand that Generic firmware will have to meet EVERY operators whims ? WTF ???

I can't understand why suddenly operators have a say in SIM free branding ? :confused:

Wilt
11th April 2012, 06:43 PM
Cost cutting exercise at Samsung?

Why bother with extensive testing if you can get the operators to do it for you?

Hands0n
11th April 2012, 06:47 PM
I'm putting this down to Samsung quirkiness and adding it to the list of several reasons I do not typically buy Samsung mobile phones. If it wasn't for the Galaxy Nexus (oh okay then, and the Nexus S (spot the trend?) or the Galaxy S 2) I wouldn't be having a Samsung in the house.

Its not just their phones. Their Kies [Windows PC] software is written by the devil's own spawn. What a totally dreadful and bloated pile of poo that is. It even sucks the life out of a 2.6GHz Core2Duo laptop with 3GB of RAM and nothing else running except Windows 7. Thank goodness for Odin and the chap who unbundled the USB drivers so that I can uninstall Kies.

Ben
12th April 2012, 09:22 AM
The man on the street may not care about when their smartphone gets updated, but developers do. How the hell is any developer supposed to maintain quality software when such a diverse range of OS versions are in deployment, and bug and security fixes are not rolled out promptly?