View Full Version : UMA on orange

gillian223
20th April 2012, 10:08 PM
Hi there, am new to all this but was wondering if any1 else has same problem, I have bb Torch 9800 and no signal at home so use UMA which works fine for texts and emails but i cannot phone out because i can not hear anything but they can hear me, Is there anything i can do?? thanks

Hands0n
20th April 2012, 10:15 PM
Hi gillian223, welcome to Talk3G.

Your trouble is very strange indeed. I would expect the voice to work or not at all, not only work in one direction. UMA relies upon a VPN (Virtual Private Network) being established between the device and the server in the network. That in itself relies upon a two-way communications path.

Is the Torch 9800 supplied to you by Orange? Or is it from an independent like CPW or P4U? If its from Orange I'd suggest taking it in to one of the stores and explain the problem and see what they say. If its P4U or CPW you're a bit stuck. It may be an idea to visit the Crackberry forum, you'll find BB experts on there.

gillian223
20th April 2012, 10:47 PM
Its supplied by cpw so not much good there, have phoned orange and apparently they have hundreds of complaints the same, they are trying to sort it but how long it will take is anyones guess. Luckily i receive and send texts no problems so thats one good thing. thanks

Hands0n
21st April 2012, 12:41 AM
Right, it will be something in the UMA settings on your 9800 that are at fault then. I do think that Crackberry may have the answers for you, they're a load of BlackBerry hacks and know their way around the technology. You won't be alone, thats for sure.

In the thread on here that talks about UMA I did quite a bit of work on the older Bold 9700. The principle is the same, but the specifics relating to your 9800 and the version of the OS you are on will be subtly different. I havent had a BB for a few years so my own knowledge is now dated.